Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C320 SPORT 4-DOOR SEDAN
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! I’ve been having some issues with my 2002 C320, something has been draining the battery for quite some time, prompting me to jumpstart it every now and then; it used to drain after a few days without using the car, but it now takes a day or two for needing to jumpstart it. Issues around it that may be a culprit are a few; I.e.: driver seat controls do not work properly, usually start working after I disconnect and reconnect battery , but it stops working a day or more later, so once seat is set, I may not be able to reset it; sunroof is acting up, it does not go back auto as it used to, so now I need to keep finger on it to either fully open or close; and latest issue is a “light sensor, drive to workshop!” message popped up. My wife told me about it for days, but I was thinking she meant the one indicating one of the side lights was not working, which had popped up in the past and I changed the lightbulb, so when she mentioned it, I thought it was that other message. Yesterday I was able to actually see the message she referred to, so I switched off the “auto light on” option, in hopes that this might be the culprit for battery draining so quick now. I have not used the car in nearly 24 hrs, will wait a day or two more, just to rule that out. In any case, what other options do I have to test myself what may be draining the battery, any help steering me in the right direction will help, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been dealing with a similar problem with my 05 c230k. Battery draining every other day/having to jumpstart, then to run somewhat good for a day or two. Also had a few issues with the bulbs acting up( liscense plate bulb, tail light, ect..) I replaced the battery(non oem) and alternator recently( bosch refurbished due to price ) so not sure if this is all adding to the problems. Wierd since some people have luck with refurbished alternators in other vehicles.. I would hate to throw more money out an oem battery and alternator only to have the same issues. I may do some more diagnosing for bad ground, replace cables, ect..

Hope we find the solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been dealing with a similar problem with my 05 c230k. Battery draining every other day/having to jumpstart, then to run somewhat good for a day or two. Also had a few issues with the bulbs acting up( liscense plate bulb, tail light, ect..) I replaced the battery(non oem) and alternator recently( bosch refurbished due to price ) so not sure if this is all adding to the problems. Wierd since some people have luck with refurbished alternators in other vehicles.. I would hate to throw more money out an oem battery and alternator only to have the same issues. I may do some more diagnosing for bad ground, replace cables, ect..

Hope we find the solution.
...Thanks for your feedback, but I'm leaning towards a "grounding issue". First sympton was the driver's seat stop working, along with the occasional jump start. So had battery tested, and it has always tested to be OK, although replaced it at some point, since it was under warranty. So I'm also thinking that alternator is OK. I've read about seat controls being the culprit for draining the battery, but just not quite sure how to test it myself. All this was happening with that ocassional jump start. Then wife noted sunroof not working properly, meaning that it does not open/close involve shot, as it used to. The more frequent jumpstart started more or less about the time she mentioned seeing the "light issue" message, reason when I saw it yesterday turned off the "auto" option; hopefully this would bring me back to the "ocassional" jumpstart. In any case, would like to get the issue resolved without going into a dealership. ;-]#

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,241 Posts
Take a look at this thread:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a look at this thread:

...instead of doing this fix, I decided to simply disconnect the seat, hoping that if the seat is the culprit, disconnecting it would help stop the drainage. Feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,241 Posts
That's a good way to verify that the seat is the culprit. If the drain stops with it unplugged, you know and can then decided if you want to perform the DIY fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
...instead of doing this fix, I decided to simply disconnect the seat, hoping that if the seat is the culprit, disconnecting it would help stop the drainage. Feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Found an article talking about a postive starter generator cable fuse going out. Im in the same position as the guy in the blog as I had already purchased a brand new factory battery and changed out the alternator for another. Car is starting up better with the new factory battery(old one was a used one) though im still getting the battery alternator light.

·
Registered
2002 C240 Auto (Hijacked by criminals), Now I have a 2005 C200 Auto.
218 Posts
This may just be totally unrelated, but does your car have a tracker unit installed? My wife's car had one fitted and it's little battery (motorcycle type) went bellyup. So, the unit started using the main battery to do its job. As the car was used intermittently, we often found that we had to jumpstart the car. Changed the tracker battery and the problem went away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This may just be totally unrelated, but does your car have a tracker unit installed? My wife's car had one fitted and it's little battery (motorcycle type) went bellyup. So, the unit started using the main battery to do its job. As the car was used intermittently, we often found that we had to jumpstart the car. Changed the tracker battery and the problem went away.
...thanks for the tip, but that’s not our case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would the tracker be found?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update on my situation...

Disconnected de seat plug to avoid tampering with the cables, and issue persisted, in fact it got worst because battery went dead in my wife after a short trip to the market, and had to get somebody to jumpstart the car.

After that she drove off to Sears to get the battery checked, and they had to charge it since it was very low for testing. After charging for over an hour, battery test determined it was bad (warranty had expired in July 19), so ended up replacing it.

I haven’t got time to reconnect the seat, but will do so this weekend and see if it comes back to life, the seat and the steering column, both were not working, even with plug connected.

Anyways, will be shopping around for an electronic booster to keep at hand.

Will keep you guys posted.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,479 Posts
Just a thought...but since you are still not sure what's going on, start at the beginning. A simple thing that people often overlook is the battery connections. Re-check them and make sure they are shiny, clean and tight. Over time vibration can cause them to loosen up just a little bit and you will get all sorts of weird, intermittent power related issues. When my son bought his C230, it had an undersized Wal-Mart battery in it. It started the vehicle OK, but because it was the incorrect size it wasn't held down properly. Every time he made a turn the battery would shift slightly to the left or right and it didn't take much time before the connections loosened up and he would need a jump start. He went through this three times before finally dropping the $$$ for the proper size battery that could be correctly bolted down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts