Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the problem with my wipers not settling at the bottom of the windshield. They stop about 2 inches up at the rest position. I have been living with it rather than pay expensive service and have been browsing the forums for a possible fix. It seems it may simply be a loose nut and I wanted to try resolving the issue myself. My only problem is - how the heck do I got to the motor assembly! I figured I have to remove the large plastic cover at the bottom of my windshield..I removed the 4 torx screws, and removed the bolts from the wipers (two passenger side, one driver side)...but the driver side wiper arm won't budge, and the plastic cover won't come out either....am I missing something obvious?

Thanks...

Varrus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have the same issue - do not know how to remove this black plastic cover which goes along bottom part of the windshield side to side and covers wiper motor and transmission mechanism. I did unscrew all the hex-star screws (under the hood), but don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I never figured it out. I was going to live with it until I had time to see a cheap mechanic, but eventually it just sank back to the proper position and has been that way ever since. Car has a tendancy to heal itself!

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
100 Posts
Had the same problem with the wiper stop in the up position, found out that the gear teeth wore bad, replace the motor and that fixed the problem, now it's working like new. The good thing is that my extended warranty paid for it, yes the wiper motor is covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I am still trying to figure out how to remove this plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield to get to the motor/transmission. :confused:

I would (most likely) need to fix/replace wiper transmission. My driver side wiper works fine, but passenger side wiper is not working at all and can be moved freely. I suspect the link gets detached or broken. In order to see what exacly is wrong I need to get under this black plastic cover. I don't want to apply too much force because I am afraid to break the plastic part, or the wiendshield.

Twobig:
By any chance, did you see how they did it on your car? I assume, since extended warranty paid for it, you didnt DYI it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PCY
Thanks for the diagram. I have removed passenger side wiper arm (part 80) and can remove driver side arm too (part 60). However, to gain access to wiper motor (10) and transmission (20,30,40) next I need to remove big black plastic cover (it is not shown on this picture). I have got similar diagram from the local MB dealer where this plastic cover is shown. But it is unclear, how it can be removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, so I figured the diagram would really help, but I still don't seem to have a clue on how to get this plastic piece off. I do have a model that may be a little different it's a 2003 c230 kompressor. Any way you remember how you got it off?

·
Registered
3 Posts

^ drivers side right where the plastic sits on the windshield get a small screwdriver and carefully pry up the plastic then jus pull up on the plastic from the pried up side and it should jus pop off, good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply and photo, I had actually got it off a little earlier today but it was definitely a struggle now, that I have everything off included the whole wiper assembly I just took apart the motor and it seems fine meaning at least there is no wear on the threads. So I'm not sure why it wasn't mentioned prior in this thread but I checked the fuse that is available for it it lights, but not sure which one or if there is a relay also, and mb had actually just replaced the rear sam which may control part of the wipers also. So that or a control switch in the steering wheel? Anyone get that far on this or have any other ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.