Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C230
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a C230 but would like some feed back before i go ahead with it as I do not know a whole lot about the reliablity of this car. Anyone have any good advice?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Hello BenzChick and welcome to the forum. Modern Mercedes all have their issues so just be prepared to spend some money maintaining it. My advice is to buy whatever you like, as long as it has the MB pre-owned (CPO) status and warranty. That's what I did after being burned with an inexpensive used one with too many owners and too many miles.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Avoid it. I had a C240 (pre face lift as well). Lets just say that people who can't afford a Mercedes drive these cars. They are poorly built (and I mean CHEAP interior materials), the electronics are horrible, and the design is already well dated. Post lift 2004.5-2006 are MUCH better, however for the money an 01 or 02 E320 would be a much better value (and MUCH better car).

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Agreeing with mr.expowerseller but only to a point. I like my 2001 E320 but it has had issues. I bought it as a CPO (as mentioned earlier) and the warranty more than paid for itself. In general, as with any used car, you are better off buying one close to the end of the model run. That has given the manufacturer and the previous owner plenty of time to deal with the various faults from which most early model runs suffer.

·
Registered
2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
910 Posts
Watch out for the transmission. A lot have problems with their transmissions. I had mine for 3 months and I just had to replace my transmission. Luckily, it was under warranty when it decided to break.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,947 Posts
No matter what type of mercedes you buy, have a pre-purchase inspection (ppi) done first. If you do a search, you can find more details as to what should be included in a good ppi.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just traded in my 2002 C230. It gave me 5 1/2 years of fairly reliable service. It was the first car I ever owned the never left me stranded on the road. What problems I had were electronic annoyances usually involving the mirror settings and passenger seat. Overall, it was a fantastic car and it will be missed.

The 2002 C230 is a hit or miss car. It was during this time MB was going through a very low period of quality. As noted by the others, some of these cars can be electronic nightmares if you get the wrong one. Have it thoroughly checked before you buy.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
The 2002 C230 is a hit or miss car. It was during this time MB was going through a very low period of quality. As noted by the others, some of these cars can be electronic nightmares if you get the wrong one. Have it thoroughly checked before you buy.
And that's what makes it a poor used car choice. I had a C240 for 4 years and it was a piece of crap mostly.

The new C-class is an entirely different car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts