Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i want to make the sound better in my C230 Coupe, and i was wondering if a Power Amp would work ? just increasing the wattage of the system, or are the speakers that bad ? any suggestions and tips as well as recomendations of model #'s are appreciated. I have a standard system with no cd player, not the bose.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The head unit and speakers are just 'okay'. There is a lot of room for improvement. Fortunately, the speaker locations are a rather large size (two 6.5' locations in each door, plus one 1' tweeter location next to the A-pillar). <br> <br> I tried changing out the head unit, and the stock speakers sounded better being driven by a more powerful head unit. However, I eventually decided to gut the whole system and go with high-end aftermarket stuff. <br> <br> My best suggestion is to talk to several aftermarket stereo installers in your area and find one that you like or trust. After that, figure out how much you are willing to spend. If you decide to do a new head unit, amplifier(s), and speakers, you will probably spend at least $300-500 on installation, so you'll probably want to buy good equipment. <br> <br> Do not tolerate noise in your system. When you go to pick up your car after the installation, have them show you what work they did. Ask them if they broke anything. Most importantly, test the car sound with the engine running. If they did a poor job connecting things, there will be alternator noise (noise which is in synch with the speed of the engine). <br> <br> I went the DIY route, but I'm not sure I recommend it. It was really a pain in the ass, and I still have a low hum and a low alternator noise when the engine is running. It's not noticable when I turn up the volume, but I know it's there, so it's annoying. <br> <br> <br> Good luck. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had installer hook up a amp, and replace all four 6.5 speakers to factory head unit, sounds so much better.I looked at the old speakers, they are made in hungry serious junk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts