Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please help. I recently bought this car and now I'm adding a FM CD Changer in the trunk (Kenwood w/mp3 from Crutchfield.com) For the life of me I cannot figure out how the stereo comes out of the dash so I can get at the antenna. I've brought the car to two places including 'Tweeter' and they don't know. Did MB come out with some new tool that slides in the sides or does the silver dash panel come off the whole thing? Pictures would be very helpful here.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Get the radio keys from your dealer ($5-$10)...

The keys slide in to the left and right hole on the bottom of the radio. Once your hear the click sound, pull out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Get the radio keys from your dealer ($5-$10)...

The radio installed in the new 2002 C230 coupes is a bit different then later models. There are no holes. I've replaced many decks in my days and I know about the holes, but in this case there are none. I've called the dealer to ask if they had any radio keys for this car, figuring maybe there was a flat one or something that slides in between the radio and dash panel. The guy wasn't helpful, just said they don't sell them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a couple torx screws behind the metal panels on the dash. Do a search for le848dave as poster on mbworld.org forums and there are all the instructions you need...if you can't find them, email me and I'll dig them up. It's pretty easy though.<br> <br> dave

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton Dave. This helps a lot.. Sounds like it would have been easier on them if they just went with the holes and release key. I'll be able to play CD's this weekend YES!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: hmm that's odd.. Can you post a picture of your radio ?

Just in case anyone is wondering about the looks of the 2002 stereo's. Here's a pic of my own.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This past week I installed the MB CD changer into my 2002 C230K. I took pictures of the entire install and have put together a 'tutorial' on how I took everything apart and successfully put it all back together. If anyone would like a copy, email me. I have it in Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) format. It's about a 300Kb file so be aware if you have me email it to you and you're on a slow connection. It's not too large - but it may take a couple of minutes on a dial up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you sent me the .pdf file of the install below.<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
<br>
This past week I installed the MB CD changer into my 2002 C230K. I took pictures of the entire install and have put together a 'tutorial' on how I took everything apart and successfully put it all back together. If anyone would like a copy, email me. I have it in Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) format. It's about a 300Kb file so be aware if you have me email it to you and you're on a slow connection. It's not too large - but it may take a couple of minutes on a dial up.</b><hr></ul>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please send me the .pdf file to:<br>
[email protected]<br>
regarding the install process as listed below<br>
thanks<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<ul><hr><i>Originally posted by David A</i><br><br><b>This past week I installed the MB CD changer into my 2002 C230K. I took pictures of the entire install and have put together a 'tutorial' on how I took everything apart and successfully put it all back together. If anyone would like a copy, email me. I have it in Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) format. It's about a 300Kb file so be aware if you have me email it to you and you're on a slow connection. It's not too large - but it may take a couple of minutes on a dial up.</b><hr></ul>

·
Registered
2003 clk 320
29 Posts
hey, i have a 2002 c230 coupe and i had my cd changer installed by mercedes, 1) $400 its...

hey, i have a 2002 c230 coupe and i had my cd changer installed by mercedes, 1) $400 its not that much, 2) its covered under warranty, 3) conveniantly placed in glovebox. save yourself the trouble and get a mercedes cd changer. Also i watched when the pro instlled my cd changer and for him it was a struggle. he had to take out the air vents and then the cigaratte holder and pop off the aluminum dash kit to get to the back of the head unit. it was a hassle dont bother just get the mb changer

·
Registered
C200 KOMP. Coupe
34 Posts
400 bucks!!?!??!?!?

O_O I wanted to buy cd changer from my dealer... it costs about 2000 bucks!!
their labor only costs about 300 bucks!!!! people... you are in heaven...

·
Registered
449 Posts
When did you buy your car?

I"ve had mine for about a year and I had to pay $900 to have the dealer install a CD player. Its a $400 factory option for 2003.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: 400 bucks!!?!??!?!?

O_O I wanted to buy cd changer from my dealer... it costs about 2000 bucks!!
$2000US??? And you paid your dealer $500 to have your fuel system cleaned? Just where are you? Have you checked prices at other dealers? You can get the changer for less than $400 and have an audio shop install it for ~$300. I paid $900 for the dealer to install one in my 02 C230k Couple.
And you paid your dealer $500 to have your fuel system cleaned? Just where are you? Have you checked prices at other dealers?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Not much of a pro

It takes seven minutes for a pro to remove and replace the radio. I saw this with my own eyes. Let's say it takes three minutes to run the cables to the glove box, two minutes to cut the holes in the glovebox and three minutes to mount the changer (less if velcro is used instead of the mount). It should take a pro 15 minutes to install the cd changer. My stealer admits it takes 20 minutes, but they charge 2.5 hours labor at $92 per hour.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My dealer took two days to install mine.

They may have only taken seven minutes initialy, but it took two days to get it working. They ended up swaping out everything out and it still didn't work. Turned out to be a pinched wire.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts