Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock player in this car sucks.I would like to replace it with a pioneer deh-7400mp unit.The guys at the local shop said there is a facekit out for 2001-up c class is this true.He also said that something called pac will allow me use my steering wheels controls.But he is trying to call around to see if someone makes a wiring harness for this car.Do you guys know of anyone who makes a wiring harness for 2001-up c classes?Before a by this unit please tell me if I am about to make a big mistake or not.Why did mercedes make their audio system so hard to upgrade?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Make sure it works before you write the check.

I believe the MB idea is to integrate Radio, CD changer, phone, steering wheel controls, Tele Aid, voice control and the display in the instrument cluster to make the communication system safe to operate while driving. Since the radio is a central component to this system you will most certainly lose some features by replacing the head unit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will have trouble with the audio as the factory amp uses fiber-optic input and the factory deck has fiber-optic output. I know that there are not any adapters made to convert analogue to digital to match the mbz format. If you want to replace the head unit you will need to wire past the stock amp.<br> <br> [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today we looked at the wires to find out that the fiber optic wire go to the amp.But there is no amp in my car.There nothing attached to the other end of my fiber optic wire.I do not have the bose system is that why,I got the regular MBZ unit.I think only the bose system has an amp.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure about the phone having fiber optics<br> I did not get that option on my car.I have already got the guys at the local sound shop to install my pioneer player. Everthing is good except I lost my steering wheel controls, but that is no big deal to me the pioneer has credit card size remote that come with it.The other problem is that we have to find out why I am not getting a good radio reception. This is really a learnig experience for us all.But I can say this the pioneer sound much much much better than the stock system that come with this car.I changed those paper speakers also front and back 6 1/2 in the front and customized the back cargo cover and mounted 6x9's back there.The factory location of the rear speakers is in such a poor location it would have stupid to replace them we just disconneted those. At first we left them connected with the new speakers but the paper speakers could not handle the power that the pioneer was putting out, 23 watts rms so we disconneted them it sounded better after that .The speakers that I installed were the latest infinty kapas.If you guys have any questions let me know I will try to help you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool! Do you have pictures of your installation you can post? What happened to TeleAid? Also, Would you mind sharing the total cost of your sound improvements? Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: I replaced my stock player with a pioneer!

Sorry, I do not have any pictures of the installation.This is what it cost me.I purchased my speakers from crutchfield the infinity kappas which were the 6 1/2 that cost $149 a pair and the 6x9's were $199 a pair. The pioneer player from my local sound shop was $300 and labor was $100 and $50 for the face kit adapter and the wireharness was $25(vw harness). If you would like to see what kind of cd player I purchased email me at [email protected] and I will send you a jpeg of the speakers and the player I have in my car.The pioneer puts out good clean sound and you will not need an amp 24 watts rms is plenty to hurt your ears. I didn't get tele aid.I did not get all of the option that MBZ had to offer on this car.The only option I choose to get was the panorama top on an triptronic transmission. I thought the rest was an waste of money. Why get tele aid when I already pay sprint monthly for a cellphone, why get the nav system when you don't travel that much, a road map is only 10 bucks, why buy the bose system when it is just a tape player. I think now days with mp3 being so popular a cd player or changer should have the capabilty of playing a mp3 file in merecedes sake for what they want you to pay for their changer 800 dollars an plays only regular cd's they are taking your money. Look in a cruthfeild catalog and see what you can get for 800 dollars.I am not trying to down anyone here, I know my audio electronics and I just didn't think it is right for merecedes to charge the price they do for out dated audio equiptment to people who are not that familiar with the newer electronics.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks. I was interested in seeing how it looked installed in the dash. You mention a $50 face kit adapter. Where did you get it? Is there a web-site or store you can point to? I have a Rio Car MP3 player in my C240 which I installed in the din slot under the stock head unit, but I am not happy with the way the area surrounding the unit looks. Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here is the phone number to the sound shop that done my installation for me.334-792-9240 I can not remember the guy name that done the installation for me,all you have to do is tell them you want to speak to the guy that installed a pioneer player in a black merecedes coupe .They will know who you are talking about trust me.They are real cool and they will help you the best they can.If you need that face kit adapter just tell them to ship it to you, you can always pay by phone or send them a check.Tell them Adrian refered you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Adrian<br> <br> I just visited this forum first time and have read this thread.<br> I spent $610.00 (plus tax) for Bose system and I am sorry that I did it. This system doesn't even much standard audio system from Honda Accord. Your choice was much better than mine, but I didn't know that Bose makes so bad audio system for cars.<br> I called Bose and Mercedes. No help from them at all.<br> I hope that this forum can be a warning for potential buyers of C230K. <br> Don't pay for Bose system guys!!! Follow Adrian.<br> <br> Regards<br> Zygmunt<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So do the steering wheel controls still work with the Pioneer Head Unit?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

you will lose steering wheel controls.But you do get a good wireless remote that does more than just change the volume.It was no big loss for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

For the first year teleaid is free...and it makes calls automatically if your airbags are deployed in a accident....have u checked to see if it works at all since your new pioneer was installed? I am about to have a Pioneer installed and I have the Bose sound system, but i am hoping to somehow keep the Teleaid system. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well actually are you wrong then. As I type this very message my factory head unit of my 2002 SLK 320 is on the floor beside me. There is no head unit in my are at all right now. The Teleaid works fine. The Teleaid is connected directly to the Bose Amp, not the head unit. There is one wire connected to the head unit from the Teleaid system that is only used to mute the radio when Teleaid is active. (I will be attaching that wire to my new Pioneer system that also has that feature available) I am installing the 7300 7' Pioneer display with the 9000 tuner and the GPS Nav system while keeping my BOSE Amp and speakers, all while the Teleaid functions properly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

well I can just say its good to see that someone had luck with an aftermarket stereo. I have a satelite pioneer radio sitting in the trunk and polk speakers. I dont know whether to take them back to the store or have someone install them after reading most of the forum of problems. This thread is a positive one, hehe.. Still havent decided what to do but if I have to listen to another day to the crappy speakers I am going to scream! Thanks for letting me vent ;-)<br>
Wendy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts