Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had Circuity City install the Alpine CHM-S630 cd changer? Supposedly it can work with the factory head unit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That Alpine units looks just like the MB unit, doesn't it? The features and operations are the same, too. But, the Alpine unit from Circuit City or any other retailer will NOT work in your car. MB uses the D2B communications protocol for the fiber optic network. The MB changer has a little box added to the back to connect to the fiber network. You can't buy it separately. Your only options are the MB-Alpine unit from your dealer or http://www.autoclass.net/ or the Becker Silverstone 2662 changer. The Becker is cheaper, and will work with the stock head unit, retaining the use if the steering wheel buttons. It might be too large to fit in the glovebox.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Do you know if the two units you mentioned are CD-R/CD-RW compatible? Would a dealer install the Becker or only the MB-Alpine?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MB-Alpine is CD-R compatible and your dealer should install it. As far as Becker goes - they might install it, but would chare you a lot more (that's what my dealer told me)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its frustrating that the factory unit costs so much more for essentialy the same thing. You could also get the MB unit installed at an auto sound shop. I ended up buying the dealer CD after the salesman knocked off ~$100 ($790+tax). Is it worth $500 just to have a unit that fits in the glove box and works with the factory head unit. I had to conclude that it wasn't but I wanted it anyway.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the damn little red light that flashes on the standard radio encased in a button that cannot be pushed? It is located in the bottom row of buttons, just to the left of the number pad. Please email directly. Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the MB unit from Autoclass for $399. Same unit as the dealer offers for $800+. My dealer installed for $150 when my new car arrived. Unit works great. I was very satisfied with Autoclass and Gaston was very helpful.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's pretty annoying, huh? <br>
I think it's supposed to look like some kind of alarm indicator or something. <br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the dealer to include and install the MB-Alpine cd changer at no charge but it took me 2 hours of negotiating. It's worth it though!<br> <br> Yeah, what's that damn red light for anyways?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was this a glovebox or trunk mounted cd changer? does anyone know where the wires are to install a glovebox cd player? or does the dealer need to do the wiring?<br> <br> thanks,<br> Tim

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
For a glovebox mounted changer you would need to buy a fiber optic cable. There are dif...

For a glovebox mounted changer you would need to buy a fiber optic cable. There are different cables for standard and Bose systems. The power cable is taped up somewhere behind the dash. Put the changer in the glovebox. Mounting it in the trunk would be much more difficult.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts