Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 E55 AMG. 156000 miles on it. Great looking car. As I drove it on the freeway, all of a sudden it seemed like i was in Neutral when i was in drive. Pulled over, shift into Reverse and into Drive, still nothing. I had my buddy tow it to my house. He used his tow truck, back wheels on the ground front wheels up in the air in Neutral. Heard that was a bad move. Few days later, i had another guy look at the transmission, he said my tranny had metal coming out so I need another. 700 bucks later, I bought a used tranny from a trusted scrap yard that had tested it. My newest mechanic says all I need is to change the solenoids so he did that. Get everything in, finally get the scanner to erase all the codes, but still, I go into gear and the car still not moving. I cleaned up my TCP thoroughly. All the connectors all the wires. Still not driving this car. Some body please give me some suggestions besides telling me I need new mechanics and tow drivers!

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
What were the fault codes ?

How did your mechanic reset the codes ? from the OBD2 port ?

Does your mechanic have a proper scanner that has a 38 pin connector to access the TCM (transmission Control Module) ?

Have the fault codes come back ? and if so, what are they ?

How did the mechanic determine that the solenoids were bad ?

Does your mechanic know anything about 722.6 transmissions ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the codes that came up in the scanner.

P205F=P0753=shift solenoid A electrical

P2060=P0758=shift solenoid B electrical

P2061=P0763=shift solenoid C electrical

P2062=P0743=Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical

The first code had the second code in parentheses. Yes, the mechanic did use a 32 pin. He connected scanner to DA-5, with several different keys, s20 or something, and connected it to port in fuse box. He deleted the codes and they still have not comeback yet. As far as how much he knows about transmissions and solenoids, I'm not sure but I do know that this car is still not moving

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
Has he checked the ATF level when the transmission is cool / warmed up ? Sounds like ATF starvation due to a bad pump . I hope he changed the filter with a genuine one and used recommended ATF.

If there are no codes at all, it could be a problem in installation of the solenoids . Were the solenoids new ?

Did you actually get codes from the ORIGINAL transmission also ? It appears that the symptoms are the same for two separate transmissions. Also, did you check that if the new and old transmissions are "compatible" ? (Check coding). Also since you have a facelift car with EGS52 (newer version TCM), it may need top be re-programmed. Maybe MAVA can englighten us once you provide the transmission version code.

I cannot comprehend how a used, and "tested" transmission could have bad solenoids. How the heck they tested it ?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,244 Posts
You can mix and match preface lift and post facelift transmissions all day long, the only physical difference between the two are the shifter interlock. The gear ratio internal are the same, assuming the replacement transmission came out of a vehicle with same engine. V6 to V6 transmission, good to go. V8 to V6, not so good. Gear ratio is so very lightly different.

Incidentally, AMG transmission is different than regular plain Jane transmission.... Gear ratio are different as well... But it won't stop the car from moving. It will enter limp mode once you get moving, but strange that the replacement trans doesn't move at all. That points to a physical problem. Is the transmission cooling lines clogged up? If so, that would explain it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You can mix and match preface lift and post facelift transmissions all day long, the only physical difference between the two are the shifter interlock.
I believe the other difference between facelift and pre facelift are that, the pre facelift E55 transmission has the same problems that all the pre 2000s and r129 transmissions have. The pressure regulation spring, K2 bushing, and shifting overlap sleeve.

·
3,244 Posts
I believe the other difference between facelift and pre facelift are that, the pre facelift E55 transmission has the same problems that all the pre 2000s and r129 transmissions have. The pressure regulation spring, K2 bushing, and shifting overlap sleeve.
There are a host of difference between the two, but practically speaking, from a installation and running standpoint, they are both identical except for the shifter interlock. Prefacelift uses a mechanical shifter interlock, post uses electronic. But from the TCM perspective, they are identical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now there are no codes or engine lights on at all. Checked the compatibility, and it should be perfect, a 2002 e55 amg transmission put into a 2001 e55 amg. V8 to V8. Definitely compatible. Checked the trans cooling lines, everything there is fine. Still not moving. Do you think it could maybe the torque converter is bad on the tranny?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Can you turn the engine by hand while watching if the torque converter is turning?

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon

·
3,244 Posts
What I would do at this point is to loosen up the transmission oil cooler line, the return line (not the inlet line) and start the car for 5-10 seconds. What you would look for is to see if you have any pressure, or any fluid coming out of the trans cooler return line. If there is no fluid, then you're either looking at a bad pump or cooling line blockage.

A bad shifter won't cause the car not to move, it will make the car move, but in limp mode.

However, if the shifter isn't connected to the shifter linkage, then the car won't move at all regardless of the shifter position. This is kinda stupid, but check to see if the shifter linkage is actually connected or not.

Bad torque converter won't stop the car from moving....but it will feel like the car has a bad clutch.

Go down to the basics first, check to see if mechanic actually installed the shifter linkage to the shifter, then check the oil cooler line, then go from there.

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
If the shifter link is not connected at all, and the transmission lever is stuck at Park, The starter interlock contact would be OPEN which would allow the car to start in Park. When the gear is changed to D or R, the starter interlock contact would be closed, and the TCM would look for the ATF temperature sensor reading at the same port. As the shifter link is not connected, the starter interlock contact would be left OPEN which would cause a fault 115 or 116 to come up at the TCM (no CEL).

So it is easy to monitor the starter interlock/ATF temperature status information with the scanner to see if it changes as the gear moves from P to D or R. If no change, then something wrong with the linkage.

·
7,943 Posts
When you have that many solenoids go like that it a connection problem more than likely, so someone forgot that little piece of metal shield around the circular connector(Legal name is pilot bushing) that just melts that male connector(circular electrical connector and the connection at the conductor plate) that can cause a connection problem. I seen this once on a customers car, yet you may not have any fluid leaks either.

It being a AMG heat is a bigger problem, and everything is tight, so check that harness going to the transmission computer(the TCM). Check the TCM connection too.

Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ik. So yesterday, i lifted the rear end of the car using 2 jacks. I start the car, put it into drive. Tires barely spin at all. Give it gas, still tires barely move. Put it into park, tires stop. Put into reverse, tires move forward as if im in drive. Very slowly, barely moving. What is causing this? Should i just swap the transmission ?

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
Are you sure you have the ATF in the transmission at the correct levels ? Are you sure that the ATF filter is installed or installed correctly ? If you have no codes at all, the solenoids should be fine electrically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a dipstick that was supposed to be for this car. Transmission level says it is full. The filter is on properly as far as I know. Could this maybe not be a transmission issue at all but something completely different

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on transmission issue. Bought a used but tested 2002 e55 amg transmission from scrapyard in Rancho Cordova. $500 plus $80 to deliver it. Took out the old tranny, put newer one in. Added fluids. Cleared codes with snap on scanner. Omfg. I never completely appreciated this car until it finally ran. Wow. I'm going to modernize the electronics on this car. Add a Stereo, navi, bluetooth, back up cam, xm/Sirius, etc. And run this one. I'll post pics when I'm done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts