Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2001 SL500 'Formula One' Special Edition

26483 Views 57 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  msbarsi
Picked up my wifes "dream car" tonight. Thanks to all of you on this forum for the info I have gleaned by reading up on the topics and searching.

Have a question on the interior and badging on this particular example. It has a silver painted console and radio bezel and the dash is the same as the Silver Arrow from the next year. Ours is a 2001.

The badge on the side has checkered flags on it and I have never seen that before. I saw a 2002 Silver Arrow and it has specific Silver Arrow badges.

I hope I can post a picture and there is a story!

Cheers

Attachments

See less
Picked up my wifes "dream car" tonight. Thanks to all of you on this forum for the info I have gleaned by reading up on the topics and searching.

Have a question on the interior and badging on this particular example. It has a silver painted console and radio bezel and the dash is the same as the Silver Arrow from the next year. Ours is a 2001.

The badge on the side has checkered flags on it and I have never seen that before. I saw a 2002 Silver Arrow and it has specific Silver Arrow...
See more
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,281 Posts
RE: Couple of questions about new family addition

You're so lucky!!![:0][:0][:0]
You just bought your wife a very rare edition of the SL. You bought her the SL FORMULA ONE Edition. I'm not sure about the exact number manufactured, but I think it's under 50 cars. Many of its parts were used on the 2002 Silver Arrow edition. Good luck with it. [;)]

· Registered
2001 SL500 F1 Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Silver Arrow

I looked at a Silver Arrow the other day in Fife (south of Seattle). Very cool but this one is very interesting. Is there more info about this one? I am going to do a Google search to see what is out there.

Cheers!!!

· Registered
2001 SL500 F1 Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More info on the F1 Edition

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/2001overview/mercedesbenz/sl.tmpl

They made 20 of these. Wow, did I stumble onto a find!

The interesting thing is we are total F1 freaks. My wife makes a fancy meal specific to the hosting country and we have friends over and watch the race!

· Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,281 Posts
RE: More info on the F1 Edition

Again, SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This car seems like meant to be for you F1 freaks.
I guess that was a safety car back then.
And to have 1 of 20 cars manufactured!!!!
I guess you didn't know that before buying it, neither did the seller!?

I have more photos of this edition, but I'm not able to upload them. Something is wrong with the site. I'll try later.

· Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,281 Posts
SL F1 Edition Photos

Attachments

· Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,184 Posts

SILVER ARROW - 12/18/2004 3:42 PM

Again, SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This car seems like meant to be for you F1 freaks.
I guess that was a safety car back then.
And to have 1 of 20 cars manufactured!!!!
I guess you didn't know that before buying it, neither did the seller!?

I have more photos of this edition, but I'm not able to upload them. Something is wrong with the site. I'll try later.
You are lucky yourself. You have 1 out of 1 1993 Silver Arrow edition! [:)]

· Registered
2001 SL500 F1 Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the Photos

Everything is accuarate except the Formula One script is not on the side badges. Maybe it rubbed off or something. Other than that it is exactly as your pictures show.

Yah, the dealer had no idea nor did I. They said something about it being special order with some of the Silver Arrow stuff on it.

Awesome info!

Cheers

· Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,281 Posts

lnguyenh - 12/19/2004 6:39 AM

You are lucky yourself. You have 1 out of 1 1993 Silver Arrow edition! [:)]
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

· Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,281 Posts
RE: Thanks for the Photos

Bruce SEA 993 - 12/19/2004 7:55 AM

Everything is accuarate except the Formula One script is not on the side badges. Maybe it rubbed off or something. Other than that it is exactly as your pictures show.

Yah, the dealer had no idea nor did I. They said something about it being special order with some of the Silver Arrow stuff on it.

Awesome info!

Cheers
From looking at them, I can see the same badge. If the formula one script is not clear, I'm sure it rubbed off. Anyway you can order them at the dealer. I think they cost around 25$ per badge.

Awesome car!

· Registered
2001 SL500 F1 Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Liturature source

Again, thanks for the info!

Is there a site shat might have a copy of the brochure or maybe a press release on this edition of the SL? I like to have the maazines with the test reports and the dealer brochure from the year that the car was for sale. There is not much on the web and I don't think the dealers even knew about this edition...the one we bought it from is big (near Microsoft) and it slipped though their fingers!

Cheers!

· Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,281 Posts
RE: Liturature source

You're welcomed.

I'm sorry but this all the info I have concerning this edition.
Sometimes you can find brochures on Ebay. I found mine on the Silver Arrow edition two years ago on Ebay.

Attachments

· Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,281 Posts
RE: Couple of questions about new family addition

Shaida - 12/20/2004 1:01 AM

Okay, I've got to know. How much did you pay for the incredible find????
Me too!!![^]

· Registered
2001 SL500 F1 Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ...ummm.....well.....errrr.....ummmm...

A deal was made that was appropriate for a 2001 SL500 with 37000 mies that met our requirements. It WAS not what they were asking and it was not the price for a F1 Edition...just a "normal" SL500 with a funky interior.

I do not want to kiss and tell but I get points for negotiation. The key is the relationship with the sales rep. Anybody want to be introduced to my guy?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.