Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2001 S600, 2004 E320
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this Malfunction message on my dash… I've never seen this before

PRE-SAFE Not Available - See Owners Manual.

Well, 2001 S-class Operator's Manual has zero information about it, furthermore as I did some research, this car shouldn't even be equipped with Pre-Safe technology. According to the article I found it was first introduced on W220 in 2002

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1081418_mercedes-benz-celebrates-10-years-of-its-pre-safe-technology

I don't know if that is factually correct but, just in case it is… why Am I seeing this and how do I get rid of this?

Car is running fine, SDS does not show any fault codes associated with this.

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,797 Posts
Hi,

Likely the Car has had a second hand Module at some point and it is incorrectly version coded.

SDS needed to get to the bottom of that one ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Likely the Car has had a second hand Module at some point and it is incorrectly version coded.

SDS needed to get to the bottom of that one ;)

HTH,
Knowing history of this car, one owner, dealer serviced etc. I wouldn't suspect second hand module but, you never know. Dealer just tried to sell me used battery so I wouldn't put anything past them.

I know this is entering dangerous territory now but, which module coding would be responsible for this?

·
W220 Moderator
5,797 Posts
It is coded into lot of Modules, start by reading Fault Codes, try looking at Coding in SRS, EIS, ICM, Seat Modules and work from there.

·
Registered
2005 S600
456 Posts
If you disconnected the battery, or it went dead, at any point - you may need to go through all the resets, including the steering wheel.

I got that message after my battery died. Full charge and complete resets, no more message.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found one of the problems. ICM coding for "Reversible emergency tensioning retractor / PRE-SAFE (538K)" was set to 'PRESENT" which, for MY 2001 apparently shouldn't be (see attachment). I changed coding to "NOT PRESENT" and malfunction message disappeared.

SRS light is still ON… with no DTCodes in SRS module… I have a feeling this could also be ICM coding, something is not right there.

Question abut that "PRE-SAFE" though… as I have seen (some) inaccurate information in SDS before… How can I verify for sure that "PRE-SAFE (SA code 538K)" is definitely Not Installed on my car?
Pre-Safe.jpg

·
W220 Moderator
5,797 Posts
That looks like the problem ;)

Car has likely had a used or repaired Cluster at some point, or just plain wrongly coded ;)

Print your Vehicles Data Card from WIS or EPC, if your machine is like most and a clone the Datacard only works on one of the 2 depending exactly where the s/w was done 😉

HTH,

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Car has likely had a used or repaired Cluster at some point, or just plain wrongly coded ;)

Print your Vehicles Data Card from WIS or EPC, if your machine is like most and a clone the Datacard only works on one of the 2
Used or repaired is Highly unlikely, this car was owned by "more money than brains" folks, serviced Extensively at the dealer. Wrongly coded very possible. There was a Recall (in 2006) for (some) ICMs on these cars… I have a very thick file of services done but, I don't really have time to go through it all, or actually care about history that much at this point…

I'm focused on Now and how I can make it right… this car is not going to a Dealer, if I can help it, to resolve these problems.

I'll look into Vehicles Data Card from WIS or EPC…

I appreciate your help

·
W220 Moderator
5,797 Posts
Thanks

I have seen many a part Coded incorrectly from a Main Stealer, so yes, I agree, focus on the now ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SRS light problem solved!

It was yet another incorrect coding in ICM. Coding specific for instrument cluster -> Modification year or model year.

Nice to finally have clean, error free dash display.

·
W220 Moderator
5,797 Posts
Hi,

Glad you sorted it, a lot of members would refuse to buy SDS and then spend loads of money on parts, this is yet another reason to own SDS, after all, there are many "Faults" that can occur and just need a bit of Coding Work ................

Then of course the negative "SDS nay sayers" come here and moan that these Cars are no good ..................
Errrrm, bad workman blaming tools / product springs to mind :rolleyes:

Anyway, rant over, glad you're fixed ;)

My Car had a cluster replaced by MB Inverness around 2005 IIRC, that [email protected] was never right until I spent many hours re version coding it correctly ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi,

Glad you sorted it, a lot of members would refuse to buy SDS and then spend loads of money on parts, this is yet another reason to own SDS, after all, there are many "Faults" that can occur and just need a bit of Coding Work ................
I couldn't agree with you more!

SDS is… by far… the best, most comprehensive diagnostic tool I ever bought for Mercedes. I'm not a professional mechanic but it paid for itself, many times over, on its first application… and continues to be a bargain. I never had any doubt that I wanted it but kept procrastinating.

One day I had to rebuild hydraulics on my R129 convertible top. After completing the job Top wasn't quite working the way it should. I spent countless hours checking limit switches with multimeter, in all possible top positions, checking and re-checking my hydraulic cylinders and lines re-assembly work. Not finding anything wrong but… suspecting that was not the full picture, those were just static tests. So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered SDS.

It took me 15 minutes with SDS, testing Actual Values while the pump was running, to pinpoint the problem. I rest my case.;)

·
W220 Moderator
5,797 Posts
Hi,

Thank You for that concise and perfect post :)

It is nice to hear that from other BW members, and I find once a member has it they realise that it is much more than just a Code Reader ;)

Not long back after a day out I got home and my R170 roof refused to go up with a storm looming, 10 minutes, broken microswitch, linked it and roof was up, next day £22.00 for a new MB part, perfect ever since :)

I run my own Indie Garage Business, and I would not work on MB's, (or any modern Cars), without the Dealer Level kits ;)

I get all the work that other so called pro garages have given up on, even Main Stealers lol :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts