Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 s600 with misfire on cyl 4,5,6 Codes P0300, P0304,5,6 Also pening code P0142 O2 sensor. Runs terrible at idle, fine at any RPM higher than idle. 81K mi. Have changed the engine computer most recently because my mechanic thought that was the problem. have changed o2 sensor, all plugs to standard recommended plug, both banks of coils (at Mercedes Dealer). Any other thoughts? I have searched and read all I can find on this forum about the topic. Mercedes Benz told me to junk it, and it wasn't worth fixing. Someone before me had sludged the engine, I have replaced a few clogged lifters but that is getting better. just wondering if I can get some help on the miss fire....

·
Registered
W209 CLK500 & W220 S430
320 Posts
Mercedes Benz told me to junk it, and it wasn't worth fixing.
Don't listen to Mercedes Benz . . .

Just let me have your car !

Know that it can fixed.

And be better too.

Motor swap ?

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
, 2012 S600L designo, 2003 W211 220 CDI
226 Posts
Missfires on the non TT S600 can be very hard to trace. I know from my own as well (had both coil packs changed)

have you had the coil packs checked? the reasion I ask is that when my coild packs went one after the other it was smooth from start but after going past 3000 rpm the engine goes into limp mode (it dosnt tell you with a warning) when in limp the idle is rough, the acceleration is still smooth but you do notice slight sluggishness and slight cabin vibration.

I wouldnt junk it. if the rest of the car is good then even paying out on new coil packs (900 GBP a go!) is worth it

·
Registered
226 Posts
btw, i think you can ignore the o2 sensor. mine was doing the same due to the coil packs.

I would suspct coil packs. 80K is about all you get out of the original ones. they are a very common fault on early s600's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both banks of coil packs have been replaced.... I will ignore the O2 sensor error and appreciate the input... I like the car...don't plan to junk it...just wish someone could fix it or I can figure it out.... Thanks again for looking and responding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The coil packs were replace about a year ago. Which side is Cyl 4,5,6.....? And...are 4,5,6 at the rear of the engine?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay now missing Cyl 3,4,5,6

Is there a service manual download somewhere for this car?

Which side are cyl 3,4,5,6?

I could try to take it back to Mercedes and get them to change the coil pack and go from there. but I would like to know which side....as one coil pack came from Lexington,KY Mercedes and the other from Kingsport, TN Mercedes...

I would really like access to a service manual....but if someone could tell me the correct side I would at least know which dealer to see if there is a warranty on the less than one year old coil pack....

·
Registered
2003 S600, 2002 C320 Wagon
156 Posts
The cylinders are numbered 1 to 6 from front to back on the right side (passenger side) of the block and from 7 to 12 from front to back on the left side (driver's side). The firing order is 1, 12, 5, 8, 3, 10, 6, 7, 2, 11, 4, 9

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, it makes some sense that the right passenger side coil pack could be going since it's missing on cyl 3,4,5,6. Could stuck lifters cause a miss?

·
Registered
226 Posts
not sure where in the world you are but in UK MB parts have 2 year gurantee. If you can get your dealer to check and if they diagnose the coil pack again you would get it replaced for free.

regarding the lifters I have no idea on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the US....will take back to dealer and see if they will diagnose this as a problem with the coil pack! Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
Okay now missing Cyl 3,4,5,6

Is there a service manual download somewhere for this car?

Which side are cyl 3,4,5,6?

I could try to take it back to Mercedes and get them to change the coil pack and go from there. but I would like to know which side....as one coil pack came from Lexington,KY Mercedes and the other from Kingsport, TN Mercedes...

I would really like access to a service manual....but if someone could tell me the correct side I would at least know which dealer to see if there is a warranty on the less than one year old coil pack....
first thing is dont ignore the fact that you have 02 sensor fault codes, each 3 cylinders has 2 o2 sensors (8 total) 1-3 has 2, 4-6,7-9 and 10-12 upstream and downstream. a defective o2 sensor can cause a set of 3 cylinders to misfire. second thing is have you checked your engine harness for oil contamination???? older v 12's are known for this. you could be replacing the o2 sensor and the new one is damaged by oil causing the same misfire. a coil pack usually does not cause a set of cylinders to misfire. usually 1 cylinder will have a constant misfirfe or all 6 cylinders. another thing is you cant just take the car to the dealer and expect them to just try a new coil pack, you are going to have to pay for diagnosis, a tech is going to have to diagnosis the issue. if diagnosis leads to a defective coil pack and indeed its still within 12/12 then it will be replaced free under parts warranty, otherwise you will be paying. and they arent going to check for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Streetglower > Thanks so much. You are absolutely correct and this is something I should have mentioned in the first post. The harness is contaminated with oil which is what lead to a new computer. The local Mercedes dealer is not willing to work on this car anymore as they say there is nothing you can do for this oil contamination and the car is not worth the tires she sits on. So, the owner and my good freind, is pissed. He bought the car at auction a couple of years ago and didn't know the issues with the car and now has a ton of money in a hunk of junk. The dealer at last fee for diagnosis changed plugs on 10,11,12 which were mis firing at that time and didn't fix it. The o2 sensor did fix it and you are now right I bed in that the oil has contaminated the harness and now another sensor. I appreciate the reply and I just don't know what to do with the car. The merdeces dealer did not change the o2 sensor, he got that done at a private shop.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
the older v12's are a poorly designed car IMO. first being the oil cooler that sits in the middle of the block and when leaks is an expensive repair. the coil packs being a complete unit for each bank, again when i cylinder misfires due to a defect in the coil pack the entire unti has to be changed, expensive. granted when they are working as designed they run good. the car isnt bad to have just having a top notch extended warranty is the way to go

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input, I love driving the car but like you said, if she's not working....it's a real headache....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the input, I love driving the car but like you said, if she's not working....it's a real headache....
Hi starnes, dou you ha it figured out? Mine started producing the same symptoms yesterday, I'm curious what was the solution for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, replacing the O2 sensors for that specific bank of cyl made the misfire go away. I used CD2 (from advance) added to the oil made the ticking lifter stop...and now the CD2 has been removed with an oil change. I then had a "lean" indication on the CEL...which was the Mass Air. So, after 2 oxygen sensors, mass air and some detergent ... she runs like new again... haven't had any problems since November and she's a daily driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, replacing the O2 sensors for that specific bank of cyl made the misfire go away. I used CD2 (from advance) added to the oil made the ticking lifter stop...and now the CD2 has been removed with an oil change. I then had a "lean" indication on the CEL...which was the Mass Air. So, after 2 oxygen sensors, mass air and some detergent ... she runs like new again... haven't had any problems since November and she's a daily driver.
Good to hear that, I'll buy the sensors tomorrow, and I'll post the results, if I succeed. Sounds lot cheaper than the coil pack :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes...the coil packs are pricy. They usually last 80-100k mi though. The thing with a coil pack is they usually only miss when hot. My car missed all the time.. Advance Auto has the O2 sensors that you wire in the plug that are really cheap or for 50$ or so more you can get them hardwired to plug into your merc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts