1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ref 2001 S-Class S500 W220 :smile:smile

On inserting the Sat Nav disc type DX the screen shows that the program is being loading and the system shows all the signs that it is then ready to navigate. BUT on asking for the 'current position' by pressing the function knob accordingly, it then displays the county of Norfolk here in the UK - BUT I live in Northumberland!!

No matter where I drive the display sticks with Norfolk.

So, I'm going to suggest there's a hardware issue here - and the Sat Nav unit is not picking up an up to date signal...

Is there an obvious place in the car I should be looking at first?

Thanks in advance for any tips where to look for what is maybe a well known problem with this symptom :frown

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,951 Posts
How many satellites are you receiving?

If you are receiving enough (at least two, preferably more), then try the procedures here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1351763-comand-gps-signal-gives-00-sat.html

If not, see the link at https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/321750-s430-d-navigation-loses-position.html as well as the antenna writeups under "Navigation" in the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky.

This problem has been known to occur if car has recently been transported from one location to a another some distance away, with the ignition (therefore, the navigation) off.

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Skylaw and thanks for the reply - I'll take a look at all the resources you've suggested on the web. But first up I'll look at the screen top right hand corner to see the number of satellites I'm receiving...

So let up get back and update this thread as I make progress!

·
W220 Moderator
2006 S 500
1,134 Posts
To add to Warrens answer:

It takes minimum 4 sats to establish a 3 dimensional fix. It takes minimum 3 sats to maintain that fix. It takes just 1 sat to get time updates/clock set ( if that even applies to pre-facelift 00-03 modles or not, not certain ) .

This assumes that your "sharkfin" antenna is actually working, and all the connections are clean and dry.

A bit of a basic primer on W220 antennas is here :

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1834026-w220-antenna-system-key-fob.html

Good luck.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,951 Posts
Thanks for the satellite update, Richard. I was a bit pressed for time when I responded, and couldn't research it further.

Assuming sufficient satellites are present, I also recall a thread years ago that recommended driving in circles - literally - to update nav info. I don't recall whether that was for position or heading info; likely, the latter.

RodS500, we look forward to your update!

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Warren and Richard yes I'll check the further web resource you've suggested ref antennas... at the moment I can only say the sharkfin antenna is present and in place at the rear of the roof! When I get a mo I will definitely add to this thread with my findings... back soon.

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

OK, a small update, I've checked the screen with the Sat Nav system running - and at no time is there any satellite info in the top RH corner of the screen. There is a box graphic - but its completely empty. So, it looks like there is no signal being received... I'll have a look in the boot area where I understand the cables pass through there on the same side as the vehicle battery. More info as I get it to follow... :frown

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
2006 S 500
1,134 Posts
What you can do is a fast and fairly cheap check of the sharkfin. Order up a generic "active" ( thats very important) GPS mini puck with a WICLIC connector. Park outside and when you find the splitter in the trunk area, pull the sharkfin GPS lead and replace with the puck antenna lead. The little active puck can be had mail order for 10 USD'ish including shipping.

Quite a bit of info ( some possibly outdated ) here for the 03-06 W220..however..i THINK the splitter/sharkfin lead location pics are OK for the 00-03.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2000609-less-than-20-usd-gps-antenna.html#post8675617

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great Ex-Fed thanks for your help on this, I've had a look and the link is very detailed, covers everything... so, let me get my act together and see what my car actually has. I'll definitely update this thread asap.

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the moment it's freezing outside :frown and I haven't got a garage - so please bear with me...

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very, very, very late update on this thread coming up...

Whilst dealing with an un-related, and already well documented instrument illumination problem (this involves changing transformer B on the PCB), I was easing out the central COMMAND unit and was just checking and re-seating the SAT NAV co-axial antenna connector at the rear, and lo and behold the SAT NAV system immediately began 'seeing' satellites for navigation again!!

So, be encouraged that if your SAT NAV system is not functioned and not 'seeing' satellites it would be an idea to take a look at the rear co-axial connector for the rear antenna input, and just re-seat it and give it a little twist to ensure good contact!

That may be all that is needed to get the system up and running again.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,951 Posts
Yes - water leakage into the splitter, where that coaxial connector connects, has been discussed a good deal in the W220 forum.

·
Registered
2001 S-Class S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes - water leakage into the splitter, where that coaxial connector connects, has been discussed a good deal in the W220 forum.
Hi Skylaw thanks for the reply :) - but to be clear this is at the rear of the central dashboard COMMAND unit, inside the car. I simply unplugged and re-seated the coaxial connector after first easing out the COMMAND unit. Been fine ever since :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rods500
Have exact same issue on my s500 '03.. It says 00sat.. ?
Will take the comand unit out asap and give the connection a lookover...
Steff, CPH Denmark

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
300 Posts
It should probably be noted these COMANDs referenced in here and all others made recently the number of satellites can only be seen on the map screen and on many it is hidden unless turned on under a section generally called Mode and it typically gives two or three options - Display ETA, Current Street/Hwy, and Coordinates. Coordinates is the option that must be selected and on newer COMANDs it displays your current location in coordinates, altitude, and Sat. #. The Sat value should be at least four to expect it to display your correct location on the map.

The number of satellites can also be displayed in the Engineering Mode/Menu on most units, or Navigation-specific engineering mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts