Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 s500 desingo 2007 s550 desingo launch edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum but my brother had told me Id get some great advice and help from you guys out there....

I just did a brake job on my 2001 s500 Changed front rotors and front and rear pads. The job went smooth as I have done this in the past but once I got in the car and pressed the brake pedal to put the car in reverse I noticed a clicking sound coming from the shifter. I put the car back in park an hit the pedal again and its sounds like something engaging and disengaging. I all so found that the shifter with move into gears without pressing on the brake pedal.
This just occurred after the brake job and was not an issue prior.
is this just a coincidence?
I did search the forum and found a lot on the shifter stuck in park and car wont turn over. Thats not my case the car starts shifter moves freely just a clicking noise.
I did check the fuses all seem to be fine the brake light work properly and I have no malfunctions on the dash.
If anyone can advise me on what may have happened and what to check and how to resolve this issue please advise....

I thank you all in advance

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
It sounds to me as though the shifter may have experienced the "stuck in park" problem you read about and perhaps the link was removed per the writeups. Just a guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excuse me but Im not sure that means?
The shifter is NOT stuck in park...
Is that a code I can clear?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
I KNOW the shifter isn't stuck in park. It may have become stuck in the past, and a prior owner (you don't tell us if you're the first and sole owner) may have removed the link that breaks and causes the problem - which would free the shifter to move without the brake pedal being depressed - exactly what you described. However, the interlock actuated by the brake may still be seeking to function.

Spend a little time reading the "stuck in park" threads - you'll come to understand it better.

I do not believe the "stuck in park" problem created a code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am the only owner.. the car never has been stuck in park before the problem only occurred after the brake job. I have read some of the stuck in park threads. I was just hoping it was something else seeing that all the post start by saying stuck in park and my is not.
Seems like I need a new shifter or to replace the part...
Thank you for your replies ....
Is it a difficult part to change? is there video on it?

Thanks again Warren btw thats my brothers name

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Hmmmm - let's try to clarify the problem a bit. The additional information you have already provided helps a lot.

Does the click happen just once, or does it continue, when you depress the brake pedal?

Does the click happen regardless of where the shifter is, or only when it is in park?

Are your brake lights working normally?

I ask these questions because it is possible that your brake light switch (which also triggers the shift release when in park) may either be malfunctioning, or may need adjustment. It would be unusual to need a new shifter because of a brake job, unless something was damaged by a lift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just noticed my car doing this today and I actually need to do my brakes. (Past due lol) Never had the "stuck in park problem"... knock wood... however, my shift knob is kinda loose on the shifter post>?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts