Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did some research on this and saw that the struts for the rear door need to be replaced. But, I've found two options, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Hatch strut:
01 2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG Hatch Strut - Body Mechanical & Trim - Stabilus - PartsGeek

Trunk Strut:
01 2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG Trunk Strut - Body Mechanical & Trim - Sachs - PartsGeek

Is there a difference between the two struts other than the manufacturer? Any recommendation on which I should order? I want to just do the replacement myself. Thanks.

·
Purple Moderator
21,704 Posts
Parts.com has the OEM MB in a factory MB box for $29 and they only show one option
so there would not be any confusion as to which one you are getting.
Shipping with a handling fee would be about $11.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I replaced the hatch struts in my brothers Dodge Nitro and most hatch and hood struts snap in the same way, it was really easy and took about 5 minutes. May need a second person to hold the hatch up while your doing it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I replaced the hatch struts in my brothers Dodge Nitro and most hatch and hood struts snap in the same way, it was really easy and took about 5 minutes. May need a second person to hold the hatch up while your doing it.
And once replaced, be careful when you open the hatch for the first time or you might lose a few teeth :D . Couldn't believe the difference!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Broom handle should also work as the second person, and it will not need its own beer to help you!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Broom handle should also work as the second person, and it will not need its own beer to help you!
Regards,
Jerry
LOL. Good point:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got it replaced today. Took about 10 minutes. Only thing that took any time was cleaning off the connector on one side that was covered in grease. It works great now! I got the stabilus hatch struts, I think they a newer branded version of the installed struts, also by stabilus.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
My hatch struts is becoming weak in cold weather. Checking for the part found Autohausaz has almost half the price than that of parts.com. Is Stabilus-Boge a good brand?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts