Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
MPV but looking for a good W124
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We own a 2001 ML430 with about 100k miles on the odo. I am really hesitating if we should keep it or not as we had quite some things to be fixed on it:

Fuel pump
MAF
Rear shocks
Front ball joints
Part of steering-unit (rack and pignon)
O ring of power steering
and a lot of other things I don't remember anymore

What would you guys do keep it or not?

I appreciate your opinions.

Cheers,

Patrick:(

·
Registered
2005 ML500
40 Posts
That does not appear to be a huge list, but it will have to be a personal decision for you and yours regarding the replacement or resale value. If you really dont want the truck the slightest thing will make you want to sell it.

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
Hello,
We own a 2001 ML430 with about 100k miles on the odo. I am really hesitating if we should keep it or not as we had quite some things to be fixed on it:

Fuel pump
MAF
Rear shocks
Front ball joints
Part of steering-unit (rack and pignon)
O ring of power steering
and a lot of other things I don't remember anymore

What would you guys do keep it or not?

I appreciate your opinions.

Cheers,

Patrick:(

I'm planing on keeping mine till a repair comes along that will cost more than the truck is worth. Then it will be replaced with a better quality Japanese/Korean Brand. So far though, its cheaper to keep her. My 2 cents. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
What Azinn said! I'm approaching 100K on a '10-430, but my list isn't near that long. You couldn't sell it for enough money to buy something near as nice, especially if you are looking for a high MPG car now.

I would rather pay more for gas without a loan then buy something over-priced AND have a loan, but pay less for gas. Doesn't work for me. I'm driving it till dust (or a repair bill that exceeds it's value)

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 2000 ML320
213 Posts
This list looks like you have been to the dealer. With the miles your vehicle has it is unlikely there is anything wrong with the following items:
Fuel pump
Rear shocks
Ball joints

The MAF for sure could be bad and they are simple to replace and are not an expensive enough problem to consider getting rid of a good vehicle. The symptoms of a bad MAF could easily make you think you need a fuel pump. As far as the steering rack also very unlikely it's bad with the miles you have. For this item you need to read my post titled -

Attn all 163 ML owners - This is a need to know

The o ring problem is a small leak at the Power Steering tank and is also easy to fix yourself for about 5 dollars for the o ring and the cost of replacement PS fluid. It sounds like your problems are still way cheaper than a car payment. Its amazing how its always easier for us to spend $30k or more for a new vehicle just to avoid making a $1k repair.

Its still your call

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Absolutely keep it. Have everything repaired, change all the fluids and you should be happy. I think if you just take care of the whole list you will feel good about the ML again, not having any problems.

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
904 Posts
As MLSL stated the list reads as if you've been taking it to a dealer. If you plan on doing this in the future then I would not recommend keeping this vehicle. From all reports the dealers are very poorly trained in diagnosing problems and will just pick the most expensive repair that could be causing the problem rather than taking 5 minutes and coming up with a true diagnosis. Most problems that people have come across with these vehicles are very inexpensive to repair if you are taking the vehicle to an honest independent shop.

If you have a good "indy" then I would recommend keeping it. You are going to probably have to replace the front shocks soon as well as the plugs and wires. Then within the next 50-100k miles I would plan on a new transmission. But other than routine maintanance (which you would be paying for a new car also) you should be good for another 100k miles. So you are looking at less than one year's car payments for repairs for the next 7 years or so.

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
my 98 ML has 200,500 miles on the ODO, i just had to replace the rack and pinion and front shocks and i am no where near considering of getting ridof her. i would definitely keep it because purchasing a new car is out of hand with our economy right now. just my 2 cents BTW, some of your repairs sound like regular work done at that mileage.

·
Registered
MPV but looking for a good W124
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your replies. I will keep it. The last days I tried some other high MPG cars but I can't imagine driving another car.

It's true I only go to the official MB shops, as I don't know any ML Indy here. My list is not complete, I had quite some other, small problems too.

The rack and pinion has been changed on the cost of MB Switzerland, so the deal wasn't bad.

Cheers,

Patrick

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
you got most of the major stuff fixed anyways. i have 153k on mine and i have no plans what so ever of selling it. if i sell it and buy another car i will lose money. plus, i can get parts really cheap so i dont mind spending 1k a year. good that you are keeping the car

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Do you love it? I guss I didn't love mine enough.

We had a 2K ML430 and traded it at about 75K for a new '03 ML500. It was in perfect shape and probably was the most mileage trade-in they kept around to sell as a used car at the dealer.

The 500 now has over 105K and there's no way I'm getting rid of it.

·
Registered
2001 ML430
5 Posts
2001 ML430 help -- keep or not

This list looks like you have been to the dealer. With the miles your vehicle has it is unlikely there is anything wrong with the following items:
Fuel pump
Rear shocks
Ball joints

The MAF for sure could be bad and they are simple to replace and are not an expensive enough problem to consider getting rid of a good vehicle. The symptoms of a bad MAF could easily make you think you need a fuel pump. As far as the steering rack also very unlikely it's bad with the miles you have. For this item you need to read my post titled -

Attn all 163 ML owners - This is a need to know

The o ring problem is a small leak at the Power Steering tank and is also easy to fix yourself for about 5 dollars for the o ring and the cost of replacement PS fluid. It sounds like your problems are still way cheaper than a car payment. Its amazing how its always easier for us to spend $30k or more for a new vehicle just to avoid making a $1k repair.

Its still your call
I have a 2001 ML 430 with 148k miles. The power steering went out last year and I couldn't get it fixed. Now they say I need to have a new power steering fuel pump and rack/pinion. Is that true? I live in an area with no authorized MZB mechanics (rural). I have never had the spark plugs replaced either. I'm planning on moving back to SoCal and driving 1800 to get there. Any advise? I love my ML

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,602 Posts
The power steering went out last year and I couldn't get it fixed. Now they say I need to have a new power steering fuel pump and rack/pinion. Is that true?
You won't get a good response unless you explain what is wrong with the power steering. Is it leaking/stiff/noisy? what have you done that didn't work? p/s pump is not very expensive but the new rock and pinion is outrageously expensive. Rebuilt ones are between 500-$1000. hope that's not the case.

·
Registered
2001 ML430
5 Posts
You won't get a good response unless you explain what is wrong with the power steering. Is it leaking/stiff/noisy? what have you done that didn't work? p/s pump is not very expensive but the new rock and pinion is outrageously expensive. Rebuilt ones are between 500-$1000. hope that's not the case.
2010 the dealer told me that I needed a new steering column. Big fiasco. They didn't align the vehicle so I go about 20 mins down the road and had to come back. After they aligned my car, about an hour into my trip home (3 hrs) I stopped to get gas. When I started again and turned the wheel, I heard this loud noise (sweak/grindt). I called the dealer and he said to come back, but unfortunately I couldn't. The sound went away. I didn't lose power steering for about a month, then we were in heavy snow season and couldn't get back.

I've added fluid to the PS, but it all just leaks out, from where I do not know. When I first start my car, I have PS and if I put the car in neutral and give it gas, I get PS, but as for every day...nope. How can I check where the leak is coming from?

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Any repair is cheap as long as one has the tools and expertise to disassemble the engine, deal with broken bolts and other screw-ups, and also miss work/consume weekend days. Otherwise, it is a few hundred dollars to replace that O-ring.

The answer is to budget repairs so that they stay well under lease payments (not purchase payments). There are several items in my 2000 ML430 that could use a repair, but I now only repair things that absolutely must be repaired.

I have also had a rash of repairs, am getting really tired wasting gas at 15 mpg, and just didn't see this ML as being a true luxury vehicle. Not like the real German-built Mercedes vehicles that we have had. I see a Toyota or Ford hybrid in my future.....

DelJ

..The o ring problem is a small leak at the Power Steering tank and is also easy to fix yourself for about 5 dollars for the o ring and the cost of replacement PS fluid. ..

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
519 Posts
This is where I am and am thinking of a 06 Cayenne Turbo or 07-08 R350. However, it seems the ML just wont break all the way down.. 181k on the odo.

There are several items in my 2000 ML430 that could use a repair, but I now only repair things that absolutely must be repaired.

DelJ

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
I have 107k on it and it's a used car I know everything about. Every repair I had I use my independent and it was always under $400. Thats around a monthly payment for a new car and I am not talking about an ML.
If you have to buy another used car you know nothing about it so why take the risk.
It feels great not to get a bill every month from the bank.
Same with my wife's 2002 Escape, just spend $600 one time for a injector and new coils and plugs and again I know everything about this car and will drive it until it falls apart.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Same here. The engine and transmission are just fine.

I would also add that none of my numerous repairs had anything to do with how frequently (or infrequently) I change fluids.

DelJ

...However, it seems the ML just wont break all the way down.. 181k on the odo.

·
Registered
2001 ML430
468 Posts
01 ML430, 159,000 on the odo. Some small repairs, nothing major. I just stay on top of things before they become problems.

To the poster who is tired of 15mpg and wants to buy a new hybrid. It will NEVER pay off. Assuming your ML is paid off, and getting an average of 15mpg. Selling/trading it for a new $25-35k and jumping to 30mpg average..... You will loose money every day. Even with paying for repairs/maintenance on the ML, you will still loose money buying the Hybrid.

My ML has some nicks and scratches (I do take it off road), has needed a few relatively minor repairs, but it works well for what I use it for. It is paid off (can buy a lot of gas and pay for a lot of repairs in lieu of a car payment on a new rig). I plan on keeping it until it simply is not reliable any more. When it gets to the point that I can not jump in it at a moments notice and drive it 700 miles one way on a trip without worry, then it is time to look at a replacement. Until then it stays.

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
519 Posts
I'm not sure if you are responding to me but I bought my ML used and after 8yrs of ownership I know all about it. I can easily know all about any another used car, it's no big deal for me.

I have 107k on it and it's a used car I know everything about. Every repair I had I use my independent and it was always under $400. Thats around a monthly payment for a new car and I am not talking about an ML.
If you have to buy another used car you know nothing about it so why take the risk.
It feels great not to get a bill every month from the bank.
Same with my wife's 2002 Escape, just spend $600 one time for a injector and new coils and plugs and again I know everything about this car and will drive it until it falls apart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts