Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have searched though the forum and on google to try and find a DYI for the power steering replacement. Can anyone lend a hand with steps and tools?

Trying to help my dad out here, went out to the car the other day and tons of power steering fluid all over the ground. I am no car expert, but have done a lot of the DIY things on here before. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to see first what to check (common issues, I did see the recall for the hose to going to look at that). Sorry if this is pretty vague start, but he just called last night with the issue. Thanks very much!!

Also, is the ML power assist or power steering? Will no power steering ruin the rack and pin or just assist in ease of turning?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do a search for power steering reservoir and you'll find various DIY posts. The new reservoir is a $20 part and plus some orings. Follow the replacement procedure and then also the air bleeding procedure with the front end jacked up.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Most common is hose 123 popping off lower fitting on radiator. That is covered by recall. Second is seal where reservoir attaches to power steering pump. You need to open hood and take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Because of the large amount of fluid, the power steering hose is most likely split. The right hand drive power steering hoses are differnet from the figure above. The problem is most likely the low pressure hose. The original right hand drive hose is very expensive from the dealer (approx $1000) but the crimped on flexible section of hose can be replaced with a generic hose and a couple of clamps.

Driving the car with no fluid can damage the PS pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
The right hand drive power steering hoses are differnet from the figure above. The problem is most likely the low pressure hose. The original right hand drive hose is very expensive from the dealer (approx $1000) but the crimped on flexible section of hose can be replaced with a generic hose and a couple of clamps.
Mine needs replacing, it's starting to perish.

I know this thread's a bit old so I might be pushing my luck to expect an aswer, but ....

Do you just cut the rigid metal tube after the crimp connector and clamp a new hose to that?

Also, what sort of hose to you use? Can you use automotive fuel hose?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I didn't do the work but I dont think that they cut the metal pipe. Once you remove the crimped hose you should be able to work it out.

The part number for the hose quoted on the invoice was ZZLPH. Not sure if that helps. I'll have a look this weekend and see if there is a brand name on the hose.

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Mine needs replacing, it's starting to perish.

I know this thread's a bit old so I might be pushing my luck to expect an aswer, but ....

Do you just cut the rigid metal tube after the crimp connector and clamp a new hose to that?

Also, what sort of hose to you use? Can you use automotive fuel hose?
First determine if the leak is coming from the low pressure/return hose at the radiator.

If so, then there is a recall on this hose which calls for the replacement of the entire hose and clamp. M/B must perform this repair free of charge.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
First determine if the leak is coming from the low pressure/return hose at the radiator.

If so, then there is a recall on this hose which calls for the replacement of the entire hose and clamp. M/B must perform this repair free of charge.
The leak WAS coming from this hose where it connects to the radiator. The hose had compressed beneath the hose clamp and was impossible to tighten the clamp enough to make a good seal.

I cut off a few inches off the end of the hose and inserted a joiner and a new piece of hose, however the remaining hose is starting to perish - when I squeeze it between finger and thumb I can see little cracks in the surface of the hose, so I want to replace it.

I know there is a recall in the USA, but I have never been notified of such a recall from MB here in Australia. I called the dealer today to enquire about this and they are going to look into it and call me back, although the service dept guy I spoke to said he doesn't recall there being a recall for this in Australia.

He also said something about the car being 12 years old, but I said a recall is a recall, the age of the car is irrelevant!

When there is a recall I normally receive a letter from MB - I received one recently for the brake light switch. I don't recall ever receiving a notice about the PS hose. Maybe they didn't issue a recall in Australia?

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
If you received a recall for the Brake Light Sw.. which was recent, you should have received a recall notice for the power steering hose, provided you owned the veh. prior to to the date of the recall which was Oct. 2008.

If you did own it then, then missed sending you a notice. But a recall is a recall as you have already said. There is no such thing as selective enforcement on recalls which your dealer is trying to pull on you.

If he says anything about the adaptation you made, simply say that the hose burst and it was an emergency fix. Print out the document and show it to him and he will change his tune.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had the car from new and I am sure I have never been notified of the recall.

I have found the local recall listed on a Govt site here Mercedes-Benz?M Class Vehicles
However, it only refers to the hose clamp, not the hose itself.

Given the attitude I have encountered so far at my local MB dealer, rather than waste my time trying to get MB to fix this I am just going to get on with it and do it myself.

Given it's a low pressure line I believe I could simply cut off the rigid metal part of the PS return line just after where it is crimped to the flexible rubber, then put on a new piece of hose over the rigid part with a couple of hose clamps, maybe even three :)

BUT, what sort of hose do I use? Can I use automotive fuel hose? The pressure is not an issue but can a fuel hose carry PS fluid?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wrote to my MB dealer regarding the recall for the power steering hose in Australia. Here is the reply:

"I have given the Service Manager your details and he has done a complete check of all service measures related to that vehicle.

There is only one outstanding on your vehicle which is related to seat belt buckle inspection.

If you would like to book in here for the tech to have a look at that I can arrange for someone to contact you.

But there is no outstanding campaign on power steering."

From this reply, it seems that this recall was never issued in this country as the original hose was on the vehicle when I purchased it.

In the picture in the MB recall notice, the clamp looks to be of a different design than the worm drive type that I have, so I ordered a new clamp. When the clamp arrived (A0059972790), it was the same worm design as the one already fitted. Does anyone know if the clamp replaced in the recall is like the one in the recall notice, and if so, what is the part number.

·
Registered
319 Posts
43sqd, I attached the copy that you had provided earlier in this thread. The dealer made no comment about the attachment.

I would be interested to know if any members in countries apart from the USA received this recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently suffered EXACTLY the same fate with my Power Steering (dodgy clamp on Low Pressure Power Steering Fluid return hose).

I have a W163 (2002 ML270), which also had the same recalls - and being in Australia - we have apparently not had the 2nd recall from 2008 :(

Mine happened near the end of a 3 week holiday - just 1300k's of deserted road between me (the missus and 2 young kids) and home.
In the morning the car had a pool of oil, and no steering.

Found this post and traced it to the clamp (thanks!). Luckily we were at a friends house who had a clamp and spare power steering fluid handy!

With no hope of reaching an approved service centre it was time for a cheap clamp fix and hope I could limp home.
3 hours down the road the next day and bam - no steering again (real scary when surrounded by road trains at 100kph - with a trailer!).

Many hours under the car in the middle of nowhere to get an additional clamp on (I too think the original clamp crushed the hose where I put the first replacement), and another few loads of fluid and we had steering again.

Not confident to go on, I headed back to semi civilization.

No mechanics were confident enough to replace my work which appeared to be holding, and after a day of running around it was still OK, so after a nights rest we were off.

We drove all day to get home, and the clamp(s) held.

It has been fine for the few weeks since, BUT when I rang to book in for a service - and to report the steering issue and the USA Recall notice etc. - my 'dealer/service agent' tells me that they are no longer a dealer - so even if there was a recall, they cannot do warranty repairs anymore.

My 'nearest' service centre is now 1400 k's (870 miles) away... awesome.

I really hope my $2 clamps hold!

Does anyone have any idea how a recall can be relevant in one country, but not another? - Clearly there is still an (the same) issue with the w163 vehicles in Australia, but no recall... Not happy.

Cheers,
Brodie

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Does anyone have any idea how a recall can be relevant in one country, but not another? - Clearly there is still an (the same) issue with the w163 vehicles in Australia, but no recall... Not happy.
If they have recalls on the Brake Light Switch and the first recall on the P/S then they should have the most recent one of 2008.

Read the first paragraph in the recall which states that their first attempt to correct the condition (simply replace the clamp) was not successful and that is the reason for the new recall which requires the replacement of the entire hose and a new clamp.

Your dealership is avoiding the recall because they will only be reimbursed for labor from M/B at a greatly reduced rate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW - thanks for such a quick reply 43sqd (and for the very helpful information you supplied earlier in the post) - I hope you're safe and dry at the moment, and Sandy has spared you any pain (I guess having the power on is a good sign).

I did notice the reason for the recall -someone didn't test properly before approving the first recall fix!

The government here apparently records all official recalls applicable in Australia, and the 2008 updated fix for the ML163's is not listed here http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/952860

I guess someone has to have an accident here before it is considered worthwhile (just glad it wasn't me).

I have printed the copies of the notice (and the original 2003 recall) - but will have to wait until next time I am within 500 miles of a dealership before trying to convince them that the recall applies in Australia.

Cheers,
Brodie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most common is hose 123 popping off lower fitting on radiator. That is covered by recall. Second is seal where reservoir attaches to power steering pump. You need to open hood and take a look.
so if I tight the 230 beacause I have a leak from there now I cant move the truck because the steering wheel its so hard what can be the problem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts