Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E55
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Something isn't quite right with the front, especially if it's sitting with no fender gap on stock springs. Only thing that would change the ride height like that would be the springs, so perhaps they are cut or aftermarket. I'm not sure if the spring pads alone would cause such a big difference but its worth a shot. Also, I had to double check I was installing my konis on the right side... the fronts and rears are different lengths. Just in case ;)

The front LCA bolts can be used to do some slight adjustments to the camber - here is the PDF.
My initial thought is the same as yours that something is wrong with the front springs. I didn't noticed that they were cut, but I also remember the previous owner stating he replaced the front springs and thought that was odd! Why would someone replace just the front springs? The spring pads alone definitely didn't do this and they were this way previously, I just thought the worn suspension and blown out shocks were to blame and the refresh would correct it. I'm thinking I just need to get new springs all around and try out these new adjustments on the LCA's!

·
Registered
2001 E55
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Even with adjusting the LCA bolts, looking at the readings, you're only going to get maybe another 1/2 degree change.

Whatever springs were installed, it's thrown your camber, possibly caster (haven't read thru the entire post...)
Most likely the previous owner installed lowering springs (lowering springs dropping 1"+ or more is going to throw your alignment off) - had the same issue with my son's c230k with eibach springs (resolved only with a proper camber caster kit)
What's interesting is your front left and right side differences (in post #15) - 1/2"\
You may be able to get away with a cheap fix using a #5 pad on the right side to raise it.

fyi, to READ spring pads, no need to remove them for any reading - all you need to do is look up at the underside of the pads - they have dimples - range 1 to 5.
You can also feel the bumps. This will tell you what you have.

View attachment 2616946
I hadn't installed any springs! I just refreshed most of the suspension components mainly on the front of the car and installed new adjustable Koni shocks. I thought about using a larger pad on just the passenger side, but want to make sure it's not just hiding an underlying issue first... Like poorly cut springs! Seeing as both the pads removed were the same on each side I don't feel it was off from the factory.

That's a neat trick to tell the pad differences with just the bumps! I didn't notice that previously.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
My initial thought is the same as yours that something is wrong with the front springs. I didn't noticed that they were cut, but I also remember the previous owner stating he replaced the front springs and thought that was odd! Why would someone replace just the front springs? The spring pads alone definitely didn't do this and they were this way previously, I just thought the worn suspension and blown out shocks were to blame and the refresh would correct it. I'm thinking I just need to get new springs all around and try out these new adjustments on the LCA's!
Anything is possible.
And no, spring pads alone will not give you the drop it presently sits at.
imo, I would use your vin # and first start to see what the part # on the oem front springs are for a replacement or find a pick-a-part for a correct (cheap w210 e55 replacement), OR simply order new lower springs for all corners.

I'd would also check to make sure all your spring perches are all in good order.

EDIT: w210s have a known history of spring perch issues

·
Registered
2001 E55
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anything is possible.
And no, spring pads alone will not give you the drop it presently sits at.
imo, I would use your vin # and first start to see what the part # on the oem front springs are for a replacement or find a pick-a-part for a correct (cheap w210 e55 replacement), OR simply order new lower springs for all corners.

I'd would also check to make sure all your spring perches are all in good order.

EDIT: w210s have a known history of spring perch issues
I'm looking at options for new springs all around currently and I looked over the spring perches thoroughly and they are all in good order.

·
Registered
2001 E55
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
While I haven't done anything too exciting recently I did update all the interior lighting with LED's. I got the kit from Amazon which worked on all but one light in my trunk(I need another T10) and had an extra light for the interior rear as I only have one in the center and not two. Great name...

I also wasn't able to get to the license plate lights. There are what look to be three screws to remove, but the center one looks to be a metal plug as there is no head for the philips like on the end two?! I didn't look into it figuring I could later post here and someone would have some insight.

The pre-game for the Superbowl was about to start anyway and my helper insisted she watch her team win!

·
Registered
2001 E55
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Good call on the LED. I did that on my old R129 and it was a great upgrade from the stock interior lights (period correctness be d*mned).

I went with these - will report back. 13pc LED Interior Lights Kit For Mercedes Benz W210 E320 E55 AMG 1995-2003 | eBay

Looks like Elsa is also watching the game. Congrats on the W!
While I love doing period correct mods, I'm more on board with restomods and agree that changing to LED's is a must and have done it on others in the past.

Probably the same 'gay' lights as mine was a 13pc kit too... Ha! I'd be interested to hear what you discover on removing the rear cover to access the license plate lights. (Sorry for the crappy pic)

Chiefs Nation!

PS. Is the Cayenne new? I don't remember seeing that one. I used to have a Touareg that I loved, but got rid of to slim down the collection with the baby and got the wife her new Tiguan to replace it.

·
Registered
2002 E55; 2007 911 Turbo; 2016 Cayenne
117 Posts
While I love doing period correct mods, I'm more on board with restomods and agree that changing to LED's is a must and have done it on others in the past.

Probably the same 'gay' lights as mine was a 13pc kit too... Ha! I'd be interested to hear what you discover on removing the rear cover to access the license plate lights. (Sorry for the crappy pic)

Chiefs Nation!

PS. Is the Cayenne new? I don't remember seeing that one. I used to have a Touareg that I loved, but got rid of to slim down the connection with the baby and got the wife her new Tiguan to replace it.
Mine were "BLAST" LED brand and I think they are the worst set I have ever purchased.

The dome lights are top heavy so the heat sink spins and the LEDs end facing up and lighting the wrong way. The trunk light didn't fit and I broke the housing. I will send these back. Didn't try the license plate lights.

Cayenne is relatively new. Got it for the lady.

·
Registered
2001 E55
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Mine were "BLAST" LED brand and I think they are the worst set I have ever purchased.

The dome lights are top heavy so the heat sink spins and the LEDs end facing up and lighting the wrong way. The trunk light didn't fit and I broke the housing. I will send these back. Didn't try the license plate lights.

Cayenne is relatively new. Got it for the lady.
That sucks... Well, at least you know the 'GAY' set works... HA!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts