Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 W210 E55 AMG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
Just bought a 2001 E55 AMG after hearing a number of people talk about their performance. After driving it though ... I must admit I a little disappointed. The car seemed to hesistate when I attempted to accelerate hard. I've read nearly all the posted comments on this site and perhaps my problem is the mass air flow meter. Any thoughts? Any suggestions on where to buy a replacement from the internet? How do I identify the right MAF? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks[?]

·
Registered
586 Posts
I copied this from an earlier post:

E 55 AMG RE: MAF sensor question
Last Sunday I changed out my MAF sensor simply as a preventative measure.
I bought off e-bay a new Bosch sensor sealed in a Mercedes box, I paid $225 for it.
For you guys like me that want to do it yourself here is what I did.
Pulled up on both sides of the AMG cover it pops up. Unhooked the two air snouts each side of the radiator, pulled up the air box off the four rubber knobs, then gently unplugged the electrical connection to the MAF. Next look close at the rubber clip that holds both sides around the MAF sensor, in the middle is a press fit connection that I undid to remove the black plastic clip, followed by gently with a slot headed screw driver pried back the metal spring clip holding the MAF sensor while I wiggled back and forth on the MAF sensor pulling it up and out of its mounting hole, then reverse the above for assembly.
PLEASE REMEMBER JUST ONE THING I LEARNED THE HARD WAY WHEN WORKING ON GERMAN CARS, IF YOU HAVE TO MUSCLE ANYTHING ITS WRONG, JUST BE PATIENT AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO FINESSE PARTS IN AND OUT.

·
Registered
2001 W210 E55 AMG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ... that was it! Took the car out last night ... Wow! I can't believe the difference. The car is much more responsive. I ended up buying the part from MB - $250. After shopping around, I didn't think that was too bad a price.

Thanks for your help[:)]

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Definitely. However, you won't be able to get them to replace it unless you have a code for it. Have it scanned. If you have a MAF code, they should replace it under warranty regardless of how the cars runs, it's on it's way out.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I bought my E55 Starmarked from my local MB dealer and the MAF needed replacing about 6 mos. after I got it. I had a very fast Z06 prior to the AMG, but I drive the Benz a lot faster on more occasions. This is due to the fact I always felt the Corvette was "being watched" constantly by the law, whereas the "gray 4-door sedan" doesn't draw such close attention. So far, almost 2 years w/o a ticket.[:D]

·
Registered
01 E55 AMG
2 Posts
Any suggestions for how often the MAF should be replaced? I am noticing the same problem in mine, and from what you are suggesting I suspect that I need to replace mine. . .

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Anytime you notice this, you should be able to get a code from the ECU, even if you don't have a MIL. I would get it scanned at your local "cheap auto" auto parts that will scan a OBD-II car for free (many do, even if they don't sell the part you're after, and they probably don't). If you have any codes related to the sensor, replace it. If not, I'd look at something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts