Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my dad decided that he wants to fix up his E430 4Matic and give it to me to use for my first car, but there are a few problems it has, so I'll list them here so that you guys can help my identify the main cause of them so I can take it to a mechanic to get fixed.

Problems we've noticed with the E430:
  • Sometimes the turn signals/other buttons will not work depending on the position of the key in the ignition.
  • Rattling and vibrations when driving over 70MPH
  • A/C doesn't blow very cold, and its colder on one side than the other
  • Left rear window does not go up or down
  • This is kind of related to the first one, but depending on the position of the key in the ignition, there is also a sound that can be heard and it kind of sounds like a clicking noise.
  • The multi-function display works fine, but it only displays different malfunctions in the car. If I try to switch it to display anything else, the backlight shuts off and I cannot see the screen. I know that the screen is still working, though, because in bright sunlight I can read it.
Well, that's all that I can think of for now. So, what do you guys think could be the root of these problems? I plan on getting this E430 completely fixed up and running smooth like it used to. Other than the problems listed above, its still running great. If I could get the car running like it was new, that would be amazing!

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

·
Registered
35,806 Posts
Sounds like ignition switch might be the highest price item.
Motor mounts, flex disks, those will cost few hundreds $$
Window regulator can be fixed for $12 while adding R134 is about $10. Hopefully you don't have big refrigerant leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into all of that.

I also updated the list with another problem that I forgot to post about.

The multi-function display works fine, but it only displays different malfunctions in the car. If I try to switch it to display anything else, the backlight shuts off and I cannot see the screen. I know that the screen is still working, though, because in bright sunlight I can read it.

What could be the cause of this issue?

·
Registered
35,806 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into all of that.

I also updated the list with another problem that I forgot to post about.

The multi-function display works fine, but it only displays different malfunctions in the car. If I try to switch it to display anything else, the backlight shuts off and I cannot see the screen. I know that the screen is still working, though, because in bright sunlight I can read it.

What could be the cause of this issue?
burned light bulb?

·
Registered
35,806 Posts
If you can see the LCD in bright sunlight, or using flashlight, that means the bulb that suppose to light is not coming on.
Those things are not easy to access, but this could be part of your ignition switch problem. This is minor issue and I would not worry about it till you fix the big switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can see the LCD in bright sunlight, or using flashlight, that means the bulb that suppose to light is not coming on.
Those things are not easy to access, but this could be part of your ignition switch problem. This is minor issue and I would not worry about it till you fix the big switch.
Yeah, I'm guessing that it is due to the ignition switch because I can drive the car all day long and as long as it stays on the screen that displays the car malfunctions, the light will stay on, but as soon as I change it to anything else, boom the light shuts off. Also, I've noticed that if the rear defroster won't work, neither will the turn signals. Also, one of the turn signal lights is dead, the right turn signal light on the interior of the car, not on the exterior. All exterior lights work, but when I turn the right blinker on, the blinker above the speedometer doesn't blink, but I can hear it blinking. The left one works just fine.

Thanks for all the info, by the way, everyone. It helps a lot!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like ignition switch might be the highest price item.
Motor mounts, flex disks, those will cost few hundreds $$
Window regulator can be fixed for $12 while adding R134 is about $10. Hopefully you don't have big refrigerant leak.
So this is pretty much all of the stuff I should get checked out (along with bulb in the multi-function display) in order to fix the problems listed above, correct?

I'll be bringing it to a mechanic sometime this week, hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Just a friendly comment - slow down and listen to the answers you are getting.

Each "problem" is separate from the others, and you need to decide which problems are most affordably solved by a mechanic, and which problems you can tackle for yourself as a DIY.

1) Ignition - One thing you can do is make sure the dash ring around the ignition switch is screwed down correctly (yes it is threaded). Tighten that 1st. Most likely to solve a deeper ignition switch problem will need a expereinced indie to replace that switch.

2) Rattling and vibrations over 70 mph need to be better defined before anyone can give you feedback. If these are from the front of the car, or felt thru the steering wheel, then front end needs to be checked. At this mileage over 200K there are different suspension components that can be at end-of-life.

3) A/C is low on refridgerant, and there are many posts about that here. I cuation you to understand how NOT to overfill the aircon yourself. Overfill is easy to make a mistake on, and will blow your system and cause a very expensive repair. I also recommend you search the forum to learn how to run the climate control diagnostic for reference.

4) Left rear window most likely will require a replacement window regulator. The eBay China replacement is like $45 and at most a hour of your time using the DIY instructions in the stickies at the top of the W210 forum.

5) Your cluster, instrument backlight and turn signal indicator light. To me it is more important for you to understand this is a low cost DIY repair than for you to "understand" it. There are multiple bulbs (easy to change) back there, and the malfuntion display one brighter bulb, and standard illumination different bulbs. The malfunction bulb gets used much less than the standard illumination bulb. The standard illumination bulbs burned out, the malfuntion bulb did not. The turn signal indicator is another bulb. Do a forum search on how to remove the cluster and replace those bulbs and do NOT have the key in your ignition thru this removal and repair process.

Learn to use the forum search feature - check the "stickies" at the top of the forum - and time to make some decisions on what you can do affordably yourself and what must in turn be done by a expereinced indie.

Welcome aboard, and have fun with the work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts