Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My elderly father (87) informed me last night that he had taken his Mercedes to Midas, because ealier in the day he would press the window switch and the window would go down a couple of inches,..then he would have to keep pressing it on and off and the window would go down only two inch each time.
He took it to Midas (I told him NEVER again,...to take ONLY to a Mercedes mechanic) and they charged him 700.00 for a new switch,....saying that the switch was bad. On the way home the window did the SAME thing and he took it back today. They are charging him another #$%^&^%$ 500.00 , because the manager said that in order for the switch to work properly, it needs another part that will tie into to the "brain" of the electrical, and send the signal.
Is he scamming my father?? This same thing happened on my 99 e320 a number of years back and I simply replaced the inside plastic "regulator" assembly, as it had broken.

What are your thoughts? I am sending my husband up to talk to this manager, as I smell some possible scamming. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
Of course he's scamming your father...he has the Midas touch.

Anyway, to reset the window switch press it slightly so that the window goes all the way down in one movement...hold it there for a few seconds, then do the same thing going up...that will reset the one touch function...$700 to learn that...WOW!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father's $1200 bill. Midas is taking advantage of an elderly man and the guy in charge should be drawn and quartered! Hardly anything bothers me more than someone taking advantage of the older people. Please let us know how your husband gets on with the manager.

·
Registered
Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
156 Posts
Is it one of the rear windows only? If so, most chances it is the window regulator which is around $30usd easy DIY with instructions from previous forum posts are available to assist you. I had a window switch module go out on my 98 wagon and it affected all windows. This car had the new switch that used optics and was difficult to find but I found a salvaged one with wood pannel for $40usd that fixed my troubles

Good luck. Sorry for the repair bills:eek:. This is why I try to fix everthing myself whenever possible!! Information shared on this forum awesome.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thank you so much for your honest replies. I am going to copy and paste this thread and send it to my mom to read to my dad. This is going to be a bitter pill for them, but I suppose it will have to be viewed as the cost of going to the school of hard knocks.

The window is on the front passenger side. Yes,...now that you mention it,...I imagine that all it needed was to be RESET. Instead, Midas not knowing that trick with Mercedes, took it to be a faulty switch, and installed a new one. Then still not knowing that it had to be "reset" ordered yet ANOTHER part, hoping that when it comes in tomorrow, it will solve the problem.

I just phoned my mom and told her that this is going to be costly for them, as there is not much we can do now, seeing that we were not notified of this problem at the very onset. No one likes to lose their independance and have to run things past their kids, so to a degree I understand their position.

My husband went there today and spoke with the manager. The manager swore up and down that they "do not pad their bills with unneccesary repair costs." Husband is a Battalian chief with the fire department, and went there in fire truck and uniform on. The manager said that the new part will be in tomorrow, and if it does not work, then they will refund.

I am calling my husband now to tell him of your replies.
Thanks once again!!!!

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I specially hate when I see people taking advantage of an elderly. Life is already hard enough in this stupid economical times. This is not right...

Maybe you can sell the old one on e-bay and recover some part of the money for your father. Thats why many of us are here to help as many members as we can to avoid things like this.

This is the switch description and price on-line
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=fipqlz55lts5zn55hncb4t45&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=2001&[email protected]&[email protected] Window Switch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts