Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my wagon about 3 months ago and I am about to do all of my initial purchase, preventative maintenance, 100k mile service items. I have decided to just dive right in and do all of them at once or over a couple of weekends. I am used to working on cars, and even built my own 71' Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser, so I have some DIY skills. However, I just wanted to document my adventure for my own future reference and in case someone spots something I forgot to do on my first run.

I have ordered my tools from Ohlord.
Dipstick with free pan magnet,17mm boot tool,16mm thin walled spring loaded swivel socket

Bought my NGK plugs from Autozone, along with 9 qts. of 0W40 Mobil1 oil, and 12 qts. of Valvoline Maxlife ATF

Placed an order with AutohausAZ for:

Zimmerman Front Rotors
Balo rear rotors
4 sensors
4 rotor bolts
2 packs of MB paste
Trans filter kit
Trans drain washer
Mann poly oil filter kit
Crankshaft position sensor

Placed an order with Import Replacement Parts for:
Axxis Deluxe Advanced Ceramic front/rear pads

After all tasks are complete I plan to take it to my local Indy shop and have the brake fluid flushed.

Wish me luck!

Jeremy

·
Registered
2006 S350;2016 GLC 300
758 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! I purchased a 2001 E320 wagon myself in January. I don't know the condition of your car or it's maintenace history. I bought the car with aboutg 139k miles. So far, I have 146k miles on it. Here's what I've done so far:

- Replaced the motor mounts
- Replaced the transmission mount
- Replaced the rear flex disc
- Replaced the differential fluid
- Replaced transmission fluid, gaskets, filter
- Front headlamps - Crystal view to remove foggy/yellow finish
- Replaced serpentine belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley
- All wheel alignment (by dealer)
- Replaced fuel filter
- Replaced air filter and MAF sensor
- Replaced antenna gasket and cover
- Replaced radio amplifier
- Replaced car stereo with Kenwood head unit

If you don't have one already, I strongly recommend that you get a diagnostic code reader that can read/erase MB codes. Reader real-time data will be helpful too.

Also, I strongly recommend resetting the transmission adaptation. That did wonders! Those instructions are in the stickies.

good luck!

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. The car was well maintained by the dealer and it got a new antennae at purchase.

Next on my list is coolant exchange, diff oil, motor mounts, trans mount, fuel filter, and air filter. These were just the first priority things I was worried about because I tow a boat with mine and want a good working trans and brakes.

I bought a new Sony headunit at purchase, and I will look into the trans adaptation. Are you talking about reprograming the shift points to your driving style? If so I will see how it shifts with the new fluid and if it still shifts hard I will try to reset it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Thanks for the tips. The car was well maintained by the dealer and it got a new antennae at purchase.

Next on my list is coolant exchange, diff oil, motor mounts, trans mount, fuel filter, and air filter. These were just the first priority things I was worried about because I tow a boat with mine and want a good working trans and brakes.

I bought a new Sony headunit at purchase, and I will look into the trans adaptation. Are you talking about reprograming the shift points to your driving style? If so I will see how it shifts with the new fluid and if it still shifts hard I will try to reset it.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard, wagondaddy.

Two thumbs up to the Axxis Deluxe brake pads. ;)

If I mght, I would encourage you to do the motor mounts at the same time you do the spark plugs. If you work on one one side at a time, the engine is pivoted up on the other motor mount and the plug change becomes LOTS easier.

That said, do not order the transmission mount from Autohausaz.com. Much as I love them, the only one they stock is the infernal URO, which is worse than whatever you have now. Corteco is an OE and is available at many online sellers, including bmaparts and rmeuropean, as well as parts.com.

I'd also encourage you to take a close look at the breather covers; if they are oozing/seeping, this is the ideal time to take care of them since you'd be yanking so much off for the plugs anyway. While you're there, take a look at the breather hoses, if they have not been changed, order them up, there are four. They get pretty brittle by 100K and no longer seal well.

Doing the plugs, engine mounts, breather covers and breather hoses is a good day's labor if you relax and take your time. You could do it in several hours if you rush; the longest part of the process is really getting all of the old sealant off the breather covers. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, that is exactly the kind of help I need. I love the add on parts that you can do while you are in there. It looks like one would want to do the thermostat, coolant, serpentine, and idler all at the same time as well, correct?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Thank you, that is exactly the kind of help I need. I love the add on parts that you can do while you are in there. It looks like one would want to do the thermostat, coolant, serpentine, and idler all at the same time as well, correct?
Meh, there's really no correlation in that group.

On the V6 the idler pulley is a five minute job, and if you're halfway skilled you can do it without removing the belt. T-stats go a long, long time in these cars and the coolant is a regular interval, so I'd say there is no relation there. The belt is a five-minute job, just check it periodically or change it and carry the old one as an emergency spare.

The idler is cheap and if you don't know it's been done, do it. They go often without warning and then you're stranded, sometimes with collateral damage. Inspect the tensioner closely as well.

·
Registered
2001 New to me, E320 Wagon
126 Posts
Excellent thread!

Wagon D welcome to the S210 world!
Please post some pics of your progress.
To all others thanks for the encouregement and great info. Todd, job well done. Clean and smple.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice vid. I love how you started with rubber gloves and quickly ditched the left hand and then the right fingers were busted through shortly thereafter. Shows the real world a DIY'er instead of a pristine shop with fancy gloves. Also the flops are a must, I never work on anything mechanical unless I am either in flip flops or barefoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts