Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just removing the front passenger fender, rusted out. As expected due to the rust in Canada this poor beast endured, I've got some corroded bolt drilling to do.
The side bolt that affixes the bumper and locks it in place, twisted off on me, despite lubricant and slowly moving it back and forth. I've not dropped the bumper entirely, just the left side bolts so I could access the fender bolts and then I was chased out by rain.
Does anyone know if there's a bracket that can be changed out as opposed to trying to drill out what was corroded in place?

The pic attached shows the bolt circled in the middle as the one twisted off on me. The upper circle indicates a bolt I don't think will make it either. I've lost the two 10mm bolts that secure the fender to the bottom. They weren't holding anything in, the fender long since corroded away and the bolts or what was left of them could only be described as rust bumps. I'm cutting the heads off and drilling out what I can. Likely will have to to tap new threads.

·
Premium Member
2002 Mercedes E320 4matic sedan
48 Posts
Hey everyone. Just removing the front passenger fender, rusted out. As expected due to the rust in Canada this poor beast endured, I've got some corroded bolt drilling to do.
The side bolt that affixes the bumper and locks it in place, twisted off on me, despite lubricant and slowly moving it back and forth. I've not dropped the bumper entirely, just the left side bolts so I could access the fender bolts and then I was chased out by rain.
Does anyone know if there's a bracket that can be changed out as opposed to trying to drill out what was corroded in place?

The pic attached shows the bolt circled in the middle as the one twisted off on me. The upper circle indicates a bolt I don't think will make it either. I've lost the two 10mm bolts that secure the fender to the bottom. They weren't holding anything in, the fender long since corroded away and the bolts or what was left of them could only be described as rust bumps. I'm cutting the heads off and drilling out what I can. Likely will have to to tap new threads.

View attachment 2703883
my experience with rusted bolts/nuts is heat. and a good penetrating fluid. a narrow butane flame concentrated on frame and a squirt of penetrating. it can take more than one try. worked for the Navy long enough, busting rusty bolts loose.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank Yowolt, that was a timely piece of advice for me. There is indeed a separate bracket the bumper side bolt goes into. It's clipped into a plastic housing in the bumper. I didn't intend to push it out, I was feeling around and noticed it was loose, so I pushed and it popped out. I'll have to remove the entire bumper to get a good look at the housing from where it sits to see how to get it back in but I was able to use a torch and penetrating fluid to remove the remaining rusted bolt.

I also was able to drill out the two bottom fender bolts and the threads are still viable. There was no bolt to work in both cases, they were so corroded over there wasn't bolt heads, just two bumps. In the end I need to find two 10mm fender bolts and one bolt for the bumper, whatever that was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts