Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 E320 w/80k miles. Experiencing extended cranking on start after car sits for a day or so. Runs fine once it starts. Have serviced fuel system and replaced Crank Position Sensor a year ago.

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
2001 E320 w/80k miles. Experiencing extended cranking on start after car sits for a day or so. Runs fine once it starts. Have serviced fuel system and replaced Crank Position Sensor a year ago.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Welcome aboard. Please take a minute to click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often useful information when you're seeking assistance.

Also, take some time to familiarize yourself with the stickies; there is lots of information in there.

Last but not least, there is a fairly recent thread on this topic, along with the steps the OP used to reach a satisfactory solution. If you use the search function just for this W210 forum, you should turn it up. I can't recall off the top of my head and I don't have time to go searching, but it seems it was a multipage thread, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Or wait a day or two and whoever's car that was may post in. :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Symptoms sound about right, but mine is when the car has sat for a while. It will restart fine on short stops, but it gives extended crank after sitting overnight or for a day or two. I'll work on checking the residual fuel pressure.

Any thoughts on the difference in symptoms?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Doesn't hurt to replace Mann/Bosch fuel filter for like $35 aftermarket - avoid other brands or no name, that and a handful of standard hose clamps to replace MB trickster clamps.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,987 Posts
Symptoms sound about right, but mine is when the car has sat for a while. It will restart fine on short stops, but it gives extended crank after sitting overnight or for a day or two. I'll work on checking the residual fuel pressure.

Any thoughts on the difference in symptoms?
From my previous Mercedes this is the classic 'leaking check valve' symptom. I think perhaps my "mostly when warm" may be a bit misleading as I remember it happening when either warm or cold. I only had 11psi immediately after shutting off the engine, so perhaps your pump is not bleeding down as quickly?! Pressure test is the best place to start.

·
Registered
2001 E320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From my previous Mercedes this is the classic 'leaking check valve' symptom. I think perhaps my "mostly when warm" may be a bit misleading as I remember it happening when either warm or cold. I only had 11psi immediately after shutting off the engine, so perhaps your pump is not bleeding down as quickly?! Pressure test is the best place to start.
Makes perfect sense. I'll start with the pressure test.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Explain "fuel system service" - from the MB service side I would like to know what you think that means .... was this dealer service ? That would be one way you could be so certain a MB/Mann/Bosch fuel filter was used...

Fact is if it wasn't a dealer then if a NAPA or the like non-Bosch/non-Mann filter was used then you would be on target for that fuel filter failure of regulator/vacuum regulator.

I'd throw a does of Stabil Blue in the tank while you are hasing this out..

·
Registered
2001 E320
58 Posts
I have the exact same problem with DB. After I replaced the fuel pump (Pierburg), the extended crank still remains. Then after driving for about half an hour, the check engine suddenly illuminated. There is no code nor warning at all (i.e. "No malfunction" still on).

Any idea how this comes about?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I have the exact same problem with DB. After I replaced the fuel pump (Pierburg), the extended crank still remains. Then after driving for about half an hour, the check engine suddenly illuminated. There is no code nor warning at all (i.e. "No malfunction" still on).

Any idea how this comes about?
Yes, through misunderstanding.

Here is the correlation between the CEL and the malfunctions displayed in the cluster: ZERO, ZIP, NADA, BUPKIS.

The only way to determine what a CEL means is to follow my user name.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 E320
58 Posts
Yes, through misunderstanding.

Here is the correlation between the CEL and the malfunctions displayed in the cluster: ZERO, ZIP, NADA, BUPKIS.

The only way to determine what a CEL means is to follow my user name.

Good luck.
Hey Greg,

I may not know as much as you do, but I have owned this E320 for 6 yrs and have done many DIY with the help of this site. Just for your information, I do know what the difference between CEL and malfunction displays. I just presented all symptoms shown in my car for my problem which I found to be similar to DB in case somebody may ask.

You do not need to be nice in your reply but I found your response a bit unnecessarily sarcastic, especially when you capitalize those words.

Tom

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey Greg,

I may not know as much as you do, but I have owned this E320 for 6 yrs and have done many DIY with the help of this site. Just for your information, I do know what the difference between CEL and malfunction displays. I just presented all symptoms shown in my car for my problem which I found to be similar to DB in case somebody may ask.

You do not need to be nice in your reply but I found your response a bit unnecessarily sarcastic, especially when you capitalize those words.

Tom
My apologies for any hurt feelings, that was not my intent. Rather, that is a fairly common misconception, so that response was geared in part to drive home the point for others who might search and find the thread.

That said, you wrote:
There is no code nor warning at all (i.e. "No malfunction" still on).
Following normal grammatical rules, the parenthetical modifies and explains the preceding clause of the sentence it's in, so hopefully you can understand me thinking that you hadn't actually plugged in an OBD-II scanner and checked for codes. Nor have I ever heard of having a CEL without a code, other than when it lights as a test just before you start the car.

Did your code reader reflect a normal self-test and indicate normal communications with your ECU? Something is wrong somewhere in that circuit. Unless, of course, the engine actually died, in which case it would illuminate the CEL. Absent some rational explanation, plugging a proper diagnostic system into the the 38-pin port under the hood may yield some clues to what's going on.

Good luck unravelling it.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
pdttn
If you have replaced your CPS and fuel pump, the other problem may be a bad coils. Going back to extended cranking, in fuel issue, the injectors may leak. Other than fuel, coil and plug wire may play a role. If you have CEL, you should able to get a code as Greg said. So it may be wise to arm with a fuel pressure tester from Autozone for $50 before replacing the fuel pump or CPS.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,987 Posts
pdttn
If you have replaced your CPS and fuel pump, the other problem may be a bad coils. Going back to extended cranking, in fuel issue, the injectors may leak. Other than fuel, coil and plug wire may play a role. If you have CEL, you should able to get a code as Greg said. So it may be wise to arm with a fuel pressure tester from Autozone for $50 before replacing the fuel pump or CPS.
Definitely check the fuel pressure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts