Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
E320 4Matic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum. Happy you're here. I've been having a tough time finding out what the proper tire pressure is for the Michelins (same tire as had been on when new) on my E320 4Matic. The inside of the gas door and inside of the drivers door well have contrary information.
Gas door recommends 27 psi front and rear with a normal load.
Door weel recommends 28 psi front and 34 rear.
To add additional confusion, I asked the dealer to check pressure on last visit and it came back to me with 30.5 psi all around.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2004 CL500 2008 ML320CDI
449 Posts
On my '00, my guy (not a dealer, but only does M-B) recommends 29-32 on my new Kumhos.

·
Registered
2005 E320 4matic S/W
66 Posts
I have an '02 E320 4matic wagon: gas fill door says 29psi front & 32psi rear (normal load). I ALWAYS reverse that or do 31/30...unless I have the car fully loaded, because the weight of the motor is obviously in front and my tires (like the brakes) wear more in the front than the rear. So by doing that, and religious tire rotation, I get even wear.

·
Registered
99 E 320
13 Posts
I have a 99 320 4 matic, I do 36 i n the front 30 in the back , just wondering what everyone else out there has, should i maybe lower the front a bit?

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
Tidalcloud said:
Hi all,

New to the forum. Happy you're here. I've been having a tough time finding out what the proper tire pressure is for the Michelins (same tire as had been on when new) on my E320 4Matic. The inside of the gas door and inside of the drivers door well have contrary information.
Gas door recommends 27 psi front and rear with a normal load.
Door weel recommends 28 psi front and 34 rear.
To add additional confusion, I asked the dealer to check pressure on last visit and it came back to me with 30.5 psi all around.

Any help would be appreciated.
When I had my E55 service they change all the pressure to 33 psi (all ) and that confuse me.

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
853 Posts
the PSI recommended by the manufacturer is what one is supposed to follow; wouldn't recommend straying too far from that. make sure when you check your pressure at the gas station (I check each fill) that on hot days (and after driving a while, hot or cold weather) you're accounting for a couple extra psi when you measure. don't go by the tire manufacturer recommendations, go by the vehicle manufacturer recommendations.

·
Registered
97 E320, 04 230K, 06 R500
189 Posts
Stick with the manufactures specs........If your tires fail for any reason that is going to be the first question asked!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
FYI: BF Goodrich reply to my question

Mr. Musikmann:

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

You requested a tire inflation recommendation for the BFGoodrich Traction
T/A tires on your 2001 Mercedes 320E.

Our records show the original tire size on this vehicle to be 215/55R16 93H
with a recommended inflation of 27 psi for both the front and the rear
tires. This should provide optimal ride quality and tire wear.

Addendum: I always make it a habit of asking the tire dealer what they recommend; sometimes I listen, sometimes not. In this case, I bought the BF Goodrich from the MB dealer and they put 35 psi in all the tires. I thought that was a bit high, so I wrote to BFG. Before they replied, I lowered mine to 30 psi (I've never used 27) and it feels a lot better. In case anyone is unaware, BFG is now owned by Michelin.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,354 Posts
Michelin is one of the best sites for tires. Their commercial tires have a chart that recommends inflation depends on the load. Meaning the only way to do it perfectly is drive on the scales and check front and rear load. In my motorhome I should do left and right sides separately, but couldn't find scales that would allow it.
In car the empty weight is pretty steady, but if you are adding 200 lb of your a&& on driver side, you should add some pressure on this side. If you put your "well-looking" woman on the other side -you should add some pressure. Not to mention stuffing 1000 cargo in the rear of the wagon.
How many of you noticed that MB advise adding few, or even 10 psi for driving above 100 mph? Ops wrong forum to mention that :D
Bottom line, I don't mind a bit stiffer ride with the tires inflated for maximum load, so to avoid the hassle of constantly checking it, I usually pump 30 psi front and 32-35 psi rear. This way when I pump the tires in the fall, it might drop couple of pounds by spring, but than higher temperatures compensate for this, so I don't have to add air till next fall.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
32front

38 rear.best wear,best mpg,cooler tire,firmer ride.well within limits set for load rating of tires.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
ANY

W210.
:thumbsup:
:bowdown:
with good tires:)

·
Registered
02 ML55, 00 ML430 & 01 E430 4matic All Silver+Black
301 Posts
I have mine 30-30 always. If you have a load I would go up to 34 rear.
All the numbers you see on the vehicle are the recommended values. This also depends on the tire brand you use.
Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts