Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2002 clk 55
3 Posts
So I know im long past the end of this thread, but it is very similar to what Im dealing with. I just picked up a new radio for best buy. A Kenwood KDC-BT758HD and came across two major problems.

I have a non-Bose system but still have the amplifier in the trunk. Ive read through markus's signal to noise walkthrough and found it helpful. However, after evaluating the cost of the additional components I decided to say "screw it" to the steering wheel controls. I pulled the old stereo, hooked up the adapter to it (after correcting the harness I had gotten from best buy to match the right pin slot) and I couldn't get it to turn on without combining the ignition wire and the battery wire to what everyone calls "the ignition wire" (which doesn't change voltage regardless of the key position...) and ive taken a multimeter to each and every pin to see if they changed voltage with the ignition...anyways, THEN once I finally got it powered on an ignored that problem for now, I hooked up my iphone and even a CD and no matter what i did not one sound came out of the speakers..

Im at a total loss after troubleshooting for some time, and from the sounds of it i dont NEED the PAC OEM2 to make the system work. But do i HAVE to have the two steering wheel controllers to make it work?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
191 Posts
A few things:
1) The signal or 'ignition' wire often used is the cigarette lighter hot lead. This turns on and off with the ignition and as such will provide an appropriate signal for when the radio should draw power or shut off when the car is not in use (it is not tied to the car's ohm/resistance detection system either, so a change in signal draw - though minimal - will not throw any warning lights - as is the case often when using aftermarket of LED bulbs).

2) You are incorrect/need to switch your use of PAC devices: You NEED the OEM2 to convert the signal between the Bose amp and Kenwood head end. You do not need the steering wheel control modules (SWI, SWI-CAN2).

I use the steering wheel controls with my aftermarket unit in my car, though it has no bearing on proper operation/sound, and there have been plenty who have foregone this use in their installation.

Hope this helps - good luck!

·
Registered
2002 CLK 55 AMG
9 Posts
Just by way of an update, i did finally update my head unit - i havent been at it since my initial post :)
So, i went with a Sony XNV770BT. it comes with TomTom nav, A2DP bluetooth streaming/ phone sync.
im not 100% happy with it yet, but im getting there
The good.
  • Nav is great. i mounted the GPS receiver itself to a steel bracket directly above the glovebox, and it gets a signal pretty much instantly,a nd then nav itself is very familiar to anyone who has a TomTom..
  • Bluetooth streaming is also good.
  • Steering wheel controls (Crux) work pretty well.
The OK.

[*]The GUI is a little clunky - whilst the nav is good and the stero is good, the integration between the 2 isnt perfect. you cant have them running side by side and switchign radio station whilst looking at the nav screen takes more clicks than it should. But its good enough (and the steering wheel controls help there as well).

The (currently) bad/ not yet good
  • i have a PAC SOEM4 altering my head unit output signal and running it into the stock bose amp and speakers ('02 CLK55) . im not convinced all is well here yet- to me, the sound just isnt right. especially the bass. so still working on that. when i put the stock head unit back in, it doesnt sound any better, but i think it did previously , so think something isnt right here - i (currently) suspect the amplifier. There are a lot fo wires . electrical components and boxes in a space intended for a whole lot less wires, electrical components and boxes.

FM radio reception isnt nearly as good as with the factory head unit. as i understand it, my aerial is in the rear glass, and there is an antennae amplifier mounted in one of the rear pillars (that takes its power from the amp??)

Reading what ive written, i would assume i havent got power correctly to either my amp or my antennae amplifier, or both - but i think i have. The previous head unit (non Comand) didnt seem to have power to the amp and the antennae amplifier, only the amplifier, so im assuming that the antennae amplifier either takes its feed from the amplifier, or takes its power from elsewhere, and is powered when the igntion is on, regardless of the stereos status. i ran my amp on from the head unit to pin A5 below. Seemed the logical 9and only) choice to power on the amp/ antennae

Stecker A

Pin 01 GAL  an Klemme 6 von C2 Speed Sensitive Volume Control
    Pin 02 K-Leitung Not Used
    Pin 03 Telefon-Mute Telephone Mute
    Pin 04 Kl. 30 (Dauerplus) 12V Constant
    Pin 05 Schaltausgang (autom. Antenne) Power Antenna
    Pin 06 Kl. 58d (Licht) Lights
    Pin 07 Kl. 15R (Zündung) Ignition
    Pin 08 Kl. 31 (Masse) Ground

Read more: CLK Stereo Wiring - MBWorld.org Forums

Does any of this ring any alarm bells with anyone or does anyone have any pointers?? i think my next obvious step is to ensure power to the amplifier.

·
Registered
2002 clk 55
3 Posts
UPDATE!!! I was able to get it all working quite some time ago, however work has prevented me from being able to update with my results.

As for the power issue, I ended up doing pretty much what Achoren said and tapped into the cigarette lighter and made that my ignition wire to the unit.

As for the reason the speakers did work is because im 99% sure that when you turn the key in your ignition with the original factory radio, it connects two wires together internally and powers on the amp with 12 V. After realizing this, I took the Ignition wire from the new receiver and connected it to the Amp power on wire ( blue with a white stripe), as well as the cigarette lighter forcing the ignition to tell the amp to power on from the ignition as well as the unit.

I did NOT need the PAC OEM unit but I dont have steering wheel controls (by choice), and the sound quality is far beyond what I expected even considering im an audiophile.

·
Registered
2003 CLK430 cabriolet
8 Posts
You can find aftermarket radios to work in your car, and get hands fee Bluetooth features. But you will likely loose your steering wheel controls and the dash display.

·
Registered
2002 CLK55 AMG Cab
78 Posts
For the sake of completeness I have an 02 CLK55 cab so putting anything in the rear deck was out. I had the original Bose system and for me the HU not having BT so no smartphone sync and near non existent sub sound was killing me. So I went for a hybrid solution. Keeping all of the factory wiring I went with an Alpine 136BT HU to the Bose tweeters and mids, to the factory amp. The hard part was the sub. No trunk space once the top goes down so I looked for and found an 8 inch sub from Helix that fit like a glove in the factory sub horn and enclosure just behind the rear seat. The controls on the new HU really squeezes the juice out of the Bose highs and mids and the Helix sub really fits in quite well with the Bose giving me a distinct clean full bass line. If I have problems with the factory amp I have an Alpine amp, which was going to replace the factory amp if the factory couldn't handle the set up which it did. I live close enough to Crutchfield's that I drove down and had them do it. My only con is I had the PAC SWI modules but the tech said it didn't work my 55. Hmm I have suspicions.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 320 Cabriolet
9 Posts
Has anyone wired steering controls using the Axxess Interfaces ASWC-1? It isn't detecting my (2001 CLK 320 CD changer but no bose) steering wheel controls at all. It's giving me 7 equal beeps (showing it's not detecting any of the wires to the steering control) and 6 red beeps (correctly identifying my stereo as a Pioneer). I ordered it all as a package from Crutchfield.

I've tried switching the connected wires (pink-black/white, blue/pink-black to pink-black, blue/pink to black/white), soldering the connections, tying the ground to harness ground wire, tying the ground to actual metal chassis ground, tying the wires, soldering the wires, tapping the vol-up button fast, slow, moderate, etc.

I feel like i've tried everything at this point and the tech's only advice at this point seems to be (try different speeds as CLKs can be finicky) and I can't find much information online about anyone with this car and using the Axxess except for a user on MBWorld just saying it doesn't work. The Axxess site has it confirmed as a fit however.

The stereo itself works fine.

·
Registered
2003 CLK430 cabriolet
8 Posts
I installed an Alpine radio in my 2003 convertible, and could not get my steering wheel controls to work with it. I tries Axxess and had no luck. I then found an ALPINE KCE-868B. I now have limited steering wheel controls for my radio. I can change the volume and change channels using the steering wheel buttons. The button to answer the phone does not work. The biigest problem that I had was locating an ALPINE KCE-868B. It was made and sold only in Europe. I found mine from a man in France who had 3 of them. They are all now sold. Finding one may be difficult.

·
Registered
clk55 amg
114 Posts
I was told some the PAC units have been combined. Does the installation plan remain the same with the new hardware? My car is a 2001 clk55 amg.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts