Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2001 CLK320 cab or CLK430 Cab???

3355 Views 2 Replies 0 Participants Last post by  HapaHaole
G
On Jan 5, I place an order for a CLK 320 white with a black top and ash interior, the only option that I was adding was the dealer installed cd changer.<p>Last week still without having seen my new car delivered I changd my or to a CLK 320 brilliant silver, ash top and ash interior. Now I have not had a silver car since the early 80's and I think that I will like the change. I added the follow option changes multi contour seats due to back problems, and the Motorola Timeport voice activated cell phone/cd change package. The xenon head lamps look great in passing on the highway although I question the cost of over $1,700. as being a good feature. I am doing the phone because I am in real estate and spend a good bit of time on it. Also I did not order the comand center due to a frientd of mine haveing alot of problems with theirs the last one was that they had their whole computor system replaced.<p>Now I have two friends with the CLK 320 cabs one white with an as top and ash interior, and one w/silver, black top and ash interior. The complaint from both of them is the blind spots and poor visibility when backing up. Also the limited trunk space and going from a sedan the ability to comfortabley ride with 4 adults. Another of my friends had a CLK 430 cab black, black top and ash interior. He has a cd changer only and has tried to get me to buy his for $65,000. so that he can take delivery on a new salte blue edition model.<p>My salesman at the dealership advised me to stick with the 320 model because it would hold its value better over time and the difference in power 60 extra hp was not that noticeable. I am not sure if it is worth springing an additional $7,500. or not??? Currently I have a white 95 S320 which I will keep for the occassions where I need room for clients. The new CLK will be my main vehicle and with the wait I have already been through I just want to make sure that I make a good choice. I will probably drive the car for 4 to 5 years then possibly hold on to it as a collector car. Having an S320 I am not really used to power when driving it. I had a white 92 400E that I drove until the S class and my wife drove it until we just sold it with 77k miles for $16,500. last month. I also have driven a 97 black BMW 328ic, part time for the past 2 years and really enjoy the power it supplys, 0-60 in next to no time compared with the S320.<p>I look forward in any thoughts or comments you have. This is the first time that I have placed and order for a new vehicle and certainly a first to wait this long for a car. My other vehicles all came form the Auto Auction here in Orlando. I have a close friend who is a dealer.<p>Hope you all enjoy your motoring.<p>Jim
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You were right to change it to silver since white makes the car look really plain. You'll love silver as it is easy to maintain as is to keep clean. The ash interior is however, a pita to clean so better be extra careful. I love the multi-contour seats since you can adjust the amount of air forced into several points for the back. The Xenon's are one thing that I think is worth the extra dough. It lights up more of the road especially on remote areas where there are no lamp posts. It helped me see a couple of times on dark highways. The command is not that bad and should include a lot more features than the recent one. Actually I love command. It helps you find restaurants, bars and places you've never been. She also has a lovely voice, IMHO.<p>The power difference between the two IS noticeable since a friend drives a 320 and I a 430. Acceleration and top-end wise. Also the 430 has the AMG body kit which really makes the car stand out and brings out the fabulous curves of this car. It also comes with the staggered 17" AMG wheels which look really sweet.<p>True, the CLK has a lot of rear blind spots. I've gotten used to it though. The rear pillars really cover a lot rearward visiblity but you shouldn't have this problem especially when the top is down.<p>Congrats and take a picture and post it up for us to see!!<p>Alex<p><br>: On Jan 5, I place an order for a CLK 320 white with a black top and ash interior, the only option that I was adding was the dealer installed cd changer.<p>Last week still without having seen my new car delivered I changd my or to a CLK 320 brilliant silver, ash top and ash interior. Now I have not had a silver car since the early 80's and I think that I will like the change. I added the follow option changes multi contour seats due to back problems, and the Motorola Timeport voice activated cell phone/cd change package. The xenon head lamps look great in passing on the highway although I question the cost of over $1,700. as being a good feature. I am doing the phone because I am in real estate and spend a good bit of time on it. Also I did not order the comand center due to a frientd of mine haveing alot of problems with theirs the last one was that they had their whole computor system replaced.<p>Now I have two friends with the CLK 320 cabs one white with an as top and ash interior, and one w/silver, black top and ash interior. The complaint from both of them is the blind spots and poor visibility when backing up. Also the limited trunk space and going from a sedan the ability to comfortabley ride with 4 adults. Another of my friends had a CLK 430 cab black, black top and ash interior. He has a cd changer only and has tried to get me to buy his for $65,000. so that he can take delivery on a new salte blue edition model.<p>My salesman at the dealership advised me to stick with the 320 model because it would hold its value better over time and the difference in power 60 extra hp was not that noticeable. I am not sure if it is worth springing an additional $7,500. or not??? Currently I have a white 95 S320 which I will keep for the occassions where I need room for clients. The new CLK will be my main vehicle and with the wait I have already been through I just want to make sure that I make a good choice. I will probably drive the car for 4 to 5 years then possibly hold on to it as a collector car. Having an S320 I am not really used to power when driving it. I had a white 92 400E that I drove until the S class and my wife drove it until we just sold it with 77k miles for $16,500. last month. I also have driven a 97 black BMW 328ic, part time for the past 2 years and really enjoy the power it supplys, 0-60 in next to no time compared with the S320.<p>I look forward in any thoughts or comments you have. This is the first time that I have placed and order for a new vehicle and certainly a first to wait this long for a car. My other vehicles all came form the Auto Auction here in Orlando. I have a close friend who is a dealer.<p>Hope you all enjoy your motoring.<p>Jim <p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some problems with some statements.

Now it was wise of you to get the phone options because the CD changer was around $1k when I priced it. so for $700 more you get a Timeport phone which retails for $300 (FYI PEOPLE IF YOU ARE ACTIVATING YOUR PHONE TO GET PROGRAMMED WITH A CELLULAR DEALER ASK FOR INCENTIVES $$$ SINCE THAT DEALER GETS COMMISIONS TO PAY FOR THE PHONE)<p>Now the salesperson saying the resale value is higher on a Clk320 was wrong. go to www.alg.com and check out how much more a CLK430 is. the percentage is 1~3% yet right now you can get a CLK320 used for $5k under sticker Yet a CLK430 is almost sticker. I would stick to the CLK430. <p>Now getting back to the price. knowing you are a realtor and have "writeoff's" you should lease the car. Lease amount for a 320 V.S.430 is around $100 to $150 a month depending on what options you purchased. So spending that minimial amount is around a $45 dollar difference with your expenses after taxes. <p>I also thought of getting a 320 since a 430 was out of my budget.. Yet you only live once and you have to have some fun while your still alive... So I ordered my CLK430 and currently expecting delivery in january. The amount is $800 a month with $0 ( I got a coupe ) for 60 months, and the CLK320 was $745 a month for 48 months. so It was worth it to me.<p>I hope this helps alittle. Not much from a 24 old kid.<p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.