Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my 2001 CLK's instrument cluster out for repair so I could have both the temp and time LCD's fixed. After installing the repaired instrument cluster, all gauges work properly except the fuel gauge. The instrument cluster is the same cluster removed from the car -not a replacement.

I've read several posts where the fuel sending units on the CLK suffer from a design problem and are subject to failure.

Is there a way to test the fuel sending units to verify this is problem? My car was only driven a short distance while the instrument cluster was removed, so I'm concerned there might be another issues that needs to be addressed other than the fuel sending units on the fuel tank.

Since the car sat 5 days without being driven I'm thinking it could be reasonable to think the defective fuel sending unit failed due to it's stationary state. Maybe the "crud" in the bottom of the tank has taken it's tole on the petro sending units and caused it to fail while sitting.

Any thoughts regarding this matter would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1st I thought it was unusual the CLK’s computer LCD, in the center of the instrument cluster, was able to update and calculate the fuel left in tank and MPG if the fuel sending units were not operating. This lead me to believe the problem probable was isolated to the instrument cluster petro gauge indicator and not the fuel sending units in the gas tank. With this in mind, I removed the cluster and removed the cluster housing cover which provided me access to the fuel gauge needle. I gave the fuel gage needle a slight nudge (not moving it from 0 ) and retuned the cluster back to the car. I tuned the ignition on and instantly the fuel gauge moved from “0” to half a tank. I reassembled everything and drove to the gas station and filled up the tank and the petro gauge moved to full. Yippee! Problem fixed.

It is VERY nice to have both the LCD’s on for temperature gauge and Clock working again and it only cost me $250! I now have a fully functional instrument cluster!

Life is good again!

·
BenzWorld W208 Host
140 Posts
This happened to me. I put in a fuel cleaner into my tank and a couple of weeks later it started to work!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts