Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2001 CL 600. The battery keeps dieing. I repalced the battery with an OEM. But still some thing is draining the battery . I took the navagation CD out, no luck. Also when the battery is drained dead, the car sits very low. Doea that have any thing to do with the battery draining? please help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It can be cause by a fault in the Nav system if the cd is left in the drive. Pop it out for a few days and see if it goes away. You will need to get someone familiar with the electrical system and has a current meter to see what is causing the draw down.
Did you get a OEM replacement? I think mine is due to be replaced? Did you get the dealer to replace it? Care to share what they charged?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be cause by a fault in the Nav system if the cd is left in the drive. Pop it out for a few days and see if it goes away. You will need to get someone familiar with the electrical system and has a current meter to see what is causing the draw down.
Did you get a OEM replacement? I think mine is due to be replaced? Did you get the dealer to replace it? Care to share what they charged?
I am not sure if it has been replaced or not. Also the cassettt player keeps on opening and closing. Would that have some thing to do with the battery drainage?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was suspicious I had a leak so I bought one of these to find out if I had a permenant leak:

and hooked it up to the negative side on the battery.
It works just perfect and measures it the amps drawn down to 1mA.. this meter is special since it measures DC, while most other cheap clamp meters only measure AC amps via the clamp..

I measured it with the trunk up, pushed in the trunk lock mechanism and watched the meter.. after a few minutes, the amps dropped to factory specs (approx 65 milliAmps give or take). If it was leaking, I would have seen more amps drawn, like 3 to 8 amps if command was still on after 15-30minutes.

If I did see any abnormal draw, I would have started turning off components and/or pulling fuses to see where the draw was..

In my case, I did leave the door open by mistake in the garage all night, so that might have been it. I also now turn the Light (to "0") and manually make sure I turn off the stereo..

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
You don't need to spend that sort of money.....

You can find a reasonable digital multimeter (for automobile use) for around $20. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
You don't need to spend that sort of money.....

You can find a reasonable digital multimeter (for automobile use) for around $20. :thumbsup:
Yah, but you have to unhook the negative to measure the amps... with a reasonable digital multimeter.. the reasonable multimeters that have a clamp only measure AC amps.

I guess you could do it fast enough to measure amps without needing to re-sync the windows, etc..

I use my DC amp clamp meter without unhooking anything to measure the DC amps flowing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
;4998349]I have 2001 CL 600. The battery keeps dieing. I repalced the battery with an OEM. But still some thing is draining the battery . I took the navagation CD out, no luck. Also when the battery is drained dead, the car sits very low. Doea that have any thing to do with the battery draining? please help

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have had my 2000 CL500 for almost 8 years now. And every once in awhile it does the same thing. I have tried to pinpont whats doing it almost a dozen times now. Its fine for day to day driving. But let it sit for over 4-5 days and its 20% to NOT start. Tried the leak test with several setups. Need to graph it with a laptop. It could be the Lojack or some module that wakes up and starts a draw of current. Normally you dont notice it with a fresh battery. But once it has been run down a couple times it has more issues. I have given up and just trickle charge it when it sits. And cross my fingers when it sits at the Airport for a few days. Just call Roadside for a jump. This and my ABC chime are my only issues with the car. 110K miles and running strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts