Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 c320
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i finnaly went from a 95 c280 to a 01 c320 and when i first got the car things seem to be fine, i contacted the person who owned the car before me and he put alot of time into this car to keep it as new as possible which is highly noticible. so i was driving and the car would not want to shift into a higher gear so i took it to a transmission place replaced some sensor and and now the car has a random rough idle as if going to die at a stop light and somtimes is hesitant to accelerate but always will we took it back to the transmission place and they said to take it to get the engine checked out. they said it may be a little problem does anyone know what it may be? car is drivable and no check engine light appears.. it happens randomly

·
Registered
1995 S-420
332 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 01 C240 and it seems to be getting worse. After all the reasearch, i have come to know that it can be a few things. 1st could be the "Crank shaft positioning sensor" which is a known problem with these cars. It goes bad. 2nd thing could be the MAF sensor.It usually just needs some cleaning. Other than that may be the car need a transmission fluid change. Since i myself have this problem, i am still looking deeply into it and still doing research for the answers. I will take the car to my mechanic this weekend and hopefully he will have some knowledge of the above mentioned problems.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
CEL or no CEL, Plug in an OBD-II meter and check for codes, that's the place to start. You can have codes without a CEL, so start there.

It's most likely to me that the trans shop knocked something loose (or broke a vacuum line, etc.) since it wasn't doing that before, but run codes first. If you don't have a meter Autozone will read codes for free.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had this happen. The codes said I need to replace the ignition coils and wires on 2 of the cylinders. Right now my 6 cylinder 2001 C320 is operating on 4 cylinders. I ordered the parts and am waiting on them to come in. In the meantime, my poor car rides rough. Good luck!

·
Registered
1995 S-420
332 Posts
I took the car to my mechanic today. As gregs210 said, the first thing to do is to check for codes, well thats exactly what my mechanic did. The results came clean, so he took a portable meter, dont exactly know what its called, hoocked it up under the dash of my car and asked me to take the car for a spin as i took the car on the highway at high speed, the meter showed that cylinder 5 missfired 3 or 4 times. So i changed the 2 spark plug wires for cylinder 5 and the car is running smoother then ever. It idles perfectly smooth now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts