Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on the site experienced anything like the following. The vehicle had to be towed to dealer where problem was evaled as a non firing cylinder.Dealer mechs??replaced the crankshaft position sensor plug and ran a test on the fuel <br>
injection system.Invoice indicates that they performed a wire harness repair and repaired crankshaft sensor connector. Car was pronounced well-after one overnight period, problem repeated with no power and check engine light illuminated. Back in for another head scratch/easter egg look. The car has been into the same shop on three previous occasions for problems with mirrors, smart key failures and chip failures. aCk!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have you tried the lemon law to fix the problem?

You can get a new car so you won't have to mess with this one. Was this car made in Brazil? In California the initial problem had to happen in the first 18 months of ownership, you would have had to have the car in 4 times for the same exact problem or 30 days in the shop. Every state is different, search google for lemon laws in your state. I've done a lemon law buyback on a Mercedes back in 1984 and they were very nice about it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had engine problems twice on my 2001 C240. First, the engine occasionally lost all power, check engine lights flashing, dead on the side of the road. After five minutes it would restart and behave normally. The fix for that was the dealer replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter/pressure regulator assemblies. A couple months later the engine stumbled and ran poorly, CEL flashing. The dealer say they replaced a connector on the engine wiring to the #5 cylinder, that the defective connector was causing misfiring on that cylinder. No engine problems since. The two repairs took a total of 20 days in the shop, though. The fuel pump replacement was part of a recall for bad fuel pumps, and it took 14 days to get a new pump delivered.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jerry: Thanks for the complete feedback! Will forward info to my friend who is having the difficulties. BTW other than the connector have you had any wiring harness problems? Have a 320C Wagon on order and am concerned about numerous reports of poor quality 'outsourced' harnesses. Thanks again. Will

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only other electrical problems I've had was that after we'd had the car about six months, the AM radio reception declined to nonexistent, and the Smartkey only worked if I was close enough to touch the car. The dealer fixed that by replacing an amplifier which is bonded on the rear window. Lucky me that I waited to have it replaced - the first service bulletin for these symptoms called for replacing the entire rear glass just to fix the amplifier, and I'm certain the dealer can't install the glass as precisely, or as leak-free, as it was done in the factory. I got a bonus - the mechanic apparently first guessed that my Smartkey was bad, and ordered one under warranty, so I got an extra key out of the deal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had problems with my 2001 C320 engine running bad, dieing, check engine light on, etc. also. Dealer never believed me because it didn't happen all of the time and the computer didn't record any malfunctions. They finally believed me once I told them to keep the 'darn' thing and they drove it and it died on them and they had to walk!!! Found a seal just past the air intake area that was folded over and letting more air in than it should. It was past the regulator/computer so it wasn't regulating the engine for the increased air or recording any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts