Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can give me the answer to this----my dealer can't!! On my 2000 430 I could reset the average gas mileage mode on my trip computer and it would basically start over from about 6 mpg, and would be fairly accurate by the time I had to fill up again. The 2005 500 doesn't do that. When you reset it may say anything from 14 to 20 and then adds or subtracts from there depending on how you drive, and isn't close to accurate by next fill up. I've been told they are different and the 05 only reads the last 62 miles. Can something be reprogrammed to make it like the 00 430 or is this just how it is?? If that's how it is then the Germans have improved something that was good to something that is useless!! [8D]

·
Registered
497 Posts
This sounds the same as my 2002 trip computer and, as far as I know, there is nothing you can do about it.

It seems to be controlled by an algorithm which never fails to ensure it's inaccuracy.

'Average' mode seems to show an average over the last 62 miles with a bias toward current consumption over the last 5 miles or so.

In other words it starts accurate and becomes ever less so; it never shows the same as calculating the amount of fuel used and miles driven.

I believe the 'instant reading' mode to be accurate.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,221 Posts
You don’t want the old version – it was buggy. Mine kept resetting, becoming scrambled, and setting off the alarm. Also, with the new version, it will still show DTE in miles when the low fuel light comes on where the older model would only read “FUEL�.

I find mine to be fairly accurate. I check it by dividing the miles driven by the actual volume of fuel consumed between refills and it’s always within 5%. Of course I generally do this when I travel, so there’s not a mix of city and highway driving, which means the last 62 miles driven is under the same conditions as the first 62 miles driven.

- RODNEY

1 - 3 of 3 Posts