Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really apologise guys, I know there are other threads on this page with the same threads and I promise I have exhausted the search facility, however nothing seems to 'quite' fit. :eek:

Scenario:
My mum has a 2000 vito 110 cdi (120,000m) which over the past couple of months has been effectively losing power when going uphill. on the flat or downhill it's fine, but uphill it just bogs down and loses speed.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago it failed to start, having never previously had any starting issues whatsoever.
Called out AA chap who got it going with easy start and said "don't stop the engine because it probably won't start again, your fuel filter needs changing".
Fine, my mum bought a fuel filter, and next day, started the van up (started fine) and took it to her local garage and asked them to fit it... which they did.

When phoning to see if she could collect it, they said it won't start.
they said they tried easy start, and it just turns over...
"Your high pressure fuel pump is faulty, and your injectors need changing, that'll be £1000 please".

She phoned me, and I told her to somehow get the van back, they brought it back to her on a low-loader (3 miles at a cost of £250 :mad: ) and left it there, and said, we can just change the pump for £400 for you if you want.

I trundled up to check out the van myself (it's a good 2 hour trip), and plugged in my win-star. it uses the old HTT diagnostics software so not as user friendly as DAS, but nevertheless got it to pull up some errors on the CDI.

These were glow output short to positive. (can't remember the exact code at the moment).
So, I bought a new set of glow plugs, fitted them, no change.

I spotted that the thick red cable to the glow relay had snapped off - perfect!, so trimmed it back and reconnected to the glow relay.... no change :(

So bought a new relay (having read about the internal fuses), which I posted up to my mum to fit today, which she has done.... and also no change :crybaby2:

I checked that there were no bubbles in the fuel lines (in the clear plastic pipes at the fuel filter) all looked okay.
the fuel filter IS the new one (albeit the garage had snapped off that 'U' clip at the top). and there is no spilling diesel on the engine block.

I cranked the engine and monitored the 'live values' and the fuel pressure readings had 2 values:
not cranking: 220bar and 2 bar.
cranking pressure: 400 (ish) bar and 50 bar.

I assume these are the high and low pressure pumps? and the raise in pressure made me think it wasnt the pumps.

Now, the final thing to point out is that when I removed the old glow plugs, they were absolutely bone dry, suggesting no fuel in the cylinders (any of them). Do the injectors shut down if there is a fault in the glow circuit? or if there is a faulty sensor?

Basically I am stuck, don't know where to go from here without exploring the high pressure pump route (which I dont' think is the problem anyway).
So I bow to the collective greater knowledge for some ideas please!, and thoughts to test :bowdown: :bowdown:

The van is up in Evesham (near Worcester), I'm in Reading, therefore any ideas should ideally be able to be carried out by my mum.

Thanks in advance!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Vito 110 CDI Mapped, 6 Seater, 18's, Zorst, Heavy ICE, Xenons
374 Posts
I would check near the high pressure pump for a diesel leak and also check the clear pipe on top of the fuel rail for bubbles (if you have not already?).

The reason I say this is cause my van was doing the exact same thing recently. I played it at it's own game though by parking the van with the back wheels on a kerb.
It starts fine if I leave it like that over night, and other way and it's a bugger to start!

Other than that, I would be looking at the cam or crank sensors...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Humm, that was a good read there, i have the same problem, which i didnt think it was the high pressure diesel pump at the time, after sorting out a problem i just done , and rev her up, and sudden just died on me DOH !!!!!!, but it turn out afterwards keeping it short, and did some researching, and rolled it to my local garage, for him to sort. and it turned out high pressure pump was reading low readings.. new one 400 quid from mercedes.. HAPPY DAYS !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts