Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500SL
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 1991 SL that I have owned for 16 years, 215K miles and am slowly updating as it still runs and looks great. I recently bought a wood and leather steering wheel and airbag from a 2000 model and went to install it this weekend.

What I found was that my horns and other parts apparently are not compatible with the internals of the new wheel due to size but my main question deals with the SRS connection. On mine, my wires for the horn and airbag terminate in a brass hole within the steering wheel with no wires to connect to / through the steering column. All that I can see on mine is that my wheel looks like there are circular brass openings which may just "sit" in the steering column shaft and make contact? Does that make sense?

Does anyone know if you can get a 2000 model wheel to work on a 1991 SL?

Thanks....David

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Go to the W140 section and read my post about swapping a steering wheel on my 1992. If you're handy with a grinding wheel it is entirely possible! And only takes about 2 hours (if your as slow and anal as I am). I'll PM you later with more info. Can you post up some pictures of your wheel and the new wheel please? Thanks!

·
Registered
1991 500SL
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MB Faher,

Thanks for the reply and I look forward to reading your thread today. I will also take some pictures of both steering wheels and post those later as well.

David

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
You can even fit a steering wheel from a newer SL if you want, this one was from a 2005 W230 SL.
The wheel itself is plug & play but the connections for the horn and airbag are not.
But if you do it seriously everything works as i unfortunately had to find out when my SL crashed.
Luckely the airbag deployed as it should.
When i converted it, i only had to buy one new connection cable from the dealer. The new connections for the horn i soldered myself.
Almost any steering wheel will fit on a R129 but sometimes it takes some modification for the horn and/or airbag.

Kind regards, Hans.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 500SL
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changing Steering Column Plate to Clock Spring?

Does anybody know if you can change the steering column plate on a older vehicle (1991) to the newer clock spring plate?

I am trying to update my steering wheel but my old wheel has brass rings that make contact with the steering column and the new wheel does not. So... I am wondering if I could just change the steering column plate to the newer clock spring plate...?

Thoughts?

David

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Not a great idea, because pre 1994 horns are direct switch, while post 1994 were relayed...

Thus, the post 94 wiring wont be heavy enough to handle the horns current, so you need to relay them...

·
Registered
1991 500SL
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bayhas,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for this "stupid" question but I really do not understand electronics...anyway.. to me, a new clock spring just looks like a mating plate for the new wheel with wiring to connect to a pin connector on the steering column shaft.

If I remove my steering column plate and look inside of it at the contacts, I presume I will see wires that terminate at the old steering plate contacts for the horns via the brass rings I have in my old wheel.

So...my thought is to replace my plate with a new clock spring, connect my wires to the new connector on the new plate and I should be good to go...?

Does that make any sense?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts