Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sprinter from 2000 will sometimes while driving suddenly lose power, limiting the speed on level ground to aroung 90 kph. This may happen once every few months. I can usually correct this by stopping and restarting the engine. It sometimes requires several resets, and the last time it MAY have been triggered by a bump in the road?
The Mercedes service agent has not been able to find the problem.
Can anyone help here?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi, I would take a guess its the fuel filter mate....I am almost sure, its a cheap enough thing to try out and it might surprise you ;)

I say this as my cousin has a Sprinter (Fridge) van 2003 model and he experienced the exact same fault, it was the fuel filter :)

SARGE

·
Registered
118 Posts
hakh.

Before we start having wild guesses why don't we get a little bit more information

What type of sprinter have you got ? Is it fitted with a OM601/2 or a Cdi 611/612 engine ? How many Klms ?
When did you last service the vehicle ? Was it at a MB dealer ? Original parts fitted ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
sprinter loss of power

if the van loses power and goes to limp home mode there are loads of things can cause it.
believe it or not the most common cause ive found is brake light bulbs whiskering ie element breaking up. which may be the reason it happened on a bump in the road.
also had the brake light switches causing limp home, both easy to do and cheap?

·
Registered
11 Posts
battwell.... what a rediculous state of affairs !
"limp home mode " for bulb failure :confused:
why doesn't the bulb failure light just come
on instead.... ???
MB is putting you and other motorists at risk
and wasting our time and money... very unhappy.
yet more stupid technology !

CD

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the Mercedes service agent has not been able to find the problem. Then, it might be the fuel pump not working properly, and you might not be able to start your Sprinter when the fuel pump gone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had this prob with my 316cdi 2002 a few years back, took to a dealer and had a vacum valve/sensor replaced, it was somthing to do with the turbo boost pressure, didnt pay to much attention as it was under warrenty. However the valve/sensor was behind the os headlamp mounted on the inner wing!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sprinter Limp Mode - Always

I have a Freightliner 2002 with 2.7L CDI (OM612) and it is contantly in Limp Mode, but no Check Engine Light. I have replaced the Fuel Filter and the Hard Fuel Line to the Lift Pump. Checked for Boost and we are getting ~0.85 bar on 2nd gear on load uphill, using AutoEnginuity 5.2 Scantool. Tried using a Snapon MT2500 with MB cartridge with support for W901-905 and OM612 engine and the scantool cannot communicate.

Driving on "D" uphill will bog so bad, so I have to manually shift. On the flats, it will upshift at 2200 rpm. I have checked for plugged intake manifold, and smoke tested the Intercooler. Looking for Turbo Resonator leaks but I could not find this item. Tried unplugging the Mass Air Flow Meter and it ran same, and still no Check Engine Light.

Other than power loss (about 25%), it drives smooth. I also checked the tranny fluid level and it is fine (and resealed).

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is very intresting as ive got exactly the same problem with my 208cdi , it looses power but if i turn it off and then bump it back up its fine again , did 300 miles the other day and it dident play up once , then just poped up the town and it happend 5 times , ive replaced all the bulbs, brake light switch, fuel fillter,checked all conections, got my head spinning

·
Registered
1 Posts
413 CDI Sprinter Limp Mode

this is very intresting as ive got exactly the same problem with my 208cdi , it looses power but if i turn it off and then bump it back up its fine again , did 300 miles the other day and it dident play up once , then just poped up the town and it happend 5 times , ive replaced all the bulbs, brake light switch, fuel fillter,checked all conections, got my head spinning
Same problem with my 413 CDI only I have had Mercedes change out one at a time the following trying to remedy the situation at there recomendation over the past 14 months.
1) fuel filter 2) Fuel Pump 3) Brake light Clusters 4) Brake light sensor switch 5) Wiring harness to Sprint Shift 6) Sprint Shift Pump 7) Turbo Charger.
Now they say to change the complete gearbox. I asked OK what is wrong inside the gearbox? they replied we dont Know!! but it will illiminate another possibility! I thought what a great idea, next time I stubb my toe I`ll ask the Doctor to cut my leg off!! These are Mercedes Top Mechanics, but at last I have found the solution, for this I am eternally grateful.
ANSWER (this is the one, it will solve all your problems as it did mine).
SELL your piece of GERMAN CRAP and NEVER EVER EVER BUY ANOTHER ONE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does pretty much the same thing. It's a 2000 308cdi, now with 175k, but started about 125k. As has been said it can go for hundreds of miles with no probs, then 5 times in 20 miles. Turning the key off and back almost always resets it.
I have noticed that the most common time for it to happen is when starting to overtake on a dual carriageway, and the car I'm about to overtake suddenly pulls out and I take my foot off the gas. When I put my boot down again, half the time there is no power there and I pull back to the inside lane to do the key stuff.:banghead:
I run lightly loaded all the time so it's not struggling.
I had just about given up when I remembered this forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sprinter losing power

My 97 312d model done this for a year and no mechanic could tell me why someone says your injectors are blocked someone told me something else but coundnt get to the bottom of it.you will now laugh at what im going to tell you I coundlt start van one morning kept spinning no diesel coming up so i got a fairy liquid bottle a piece of rubber tube put some diesel in the bottle took the feed supply from the tank or so i thought and tried to crank the engine a few times nothing then cranked again and boom the was a bit of an explosive bang i ran round front of van the bottle had exploded diesel everywhere i had put it on the return pipe by mistake to the bottle well i thought thats done it i put the return pipe back on and cranked the engine and vroom the engine sprung into life and went very quiet purring like a cat now bearing in mind i had the timing done new belts pump looked at nothing worked untill the fairy bottle and the van has run great ever since tall tale i hear you all say the engine light went out and the van has run great ever since it wheelspins not trying pulling away.

·
Registered
64 Posts
there are many things that can put the engine into safe mode, needs to be put onto a diagnostic and monitored, the none start and fix with a washing up bottle could be the pressure regulator valve o rings,

Fuel filter, boost control(vacuum) , turbo (faulty/stiff VNT control) wiring fault ie brake light switch/bulb etc etc

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had searched the forums for an answer to my problem with no joy so I thought it best to forward the resolution now it's fixed.
my 2004 311 (67k miles) was losing power intermittently for a split second and beginning to get worse. The oil light was also coming on from time to time too. MB replaced the oil sensor but that didn't work. I got MB to wipe fault codes and took it on a long trip. EDC light appeared at one stage and it went into limp mode! took it back to MB but no codes appeared! €400 later they traced the fault to the wire to the vacuum transducer shorting out and the fuel filter taking in air. they repaired the wiring and replaced filter now it's running like a sprinter!

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I had this issue the first time, it was my turbo resonator that went bad...made of plastic and needed to be replaced. That was a severe "limp" mode until I got it fixed. The second time happened about 2 months ago...wasn't as bad of a "limp" and like you mentioned, would sometimes correct itself after restart. It ended up being a leak in the hose coming off the bottem of the turbo (another sign is having some oil drip down from that hose) Hope this helps!

ps...I really want to have my plastic resonator replaced with the aftermarket billet one...check it out.

DODGE FREIGHTLINER SPRINTER TURBO RESONATOR ELIMINATOR:eBay Motors (item 330359661455 end time Dec-11-09 19:15:52 PST)

·
Registered
1 Posts
please can anybody help, i have a 2005 313cdi sprinter which every so often when driving will lose power for a split second and all the dashboard reset itself as thow you have turned the engine off but it does'nt cut out.
also when you start the engine and select reverse it cuts out but never when you select reverse after you have moved off, its doing my head in as im a courier and driving 10hrs a day, any ideas anybody please

·
Registered
234 Posts
WILD GUESSES

Having been a member for a while now I try to answer as many threads as possible but of course I do work full time.

It amazes me that so many people come on here and dont get the correct info before answering threads.

This frustrates me as surely you need to know what the exact vehicle is before guessing.

with the amount of cheap code readers available this just throws more spanners in the works as suddenly people are technicains overnight.

But guess what? Firstly guys you need to know all the basics,secondly a code reader is a code reader, and any tool is only as good as the guy using it.

By the time you have spent £100s and many hours getting frustrated you usually end up contacting me.

I drive around the country sorting out Sprinter problems,I may not be as cheap as jack down at the local garage,or bob down the pub, def not as dear as the dealer, But we do fix the problems !!!!

I have the latest MB Diaganostics,and have been working on Sprinters well over 10 years

So the question is where do you spend your money.

Please contact me by email, not by phone I am after all a busy guy.

Without being rude to people Im not here just to answer the phone all day, time is money, Genuine enquires welcome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
18 Participants
Star automotive solutions
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing