Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local dealer told my girlfriend her SLK's MAS sensor is bad... For $800.00 they will replace it. I told her to have them clean it first... They proceeded to tell her it can't be cleaned, it has to be replaced... This is my first Mercedes, but I can't believe this BS.

Is the 2000 230's MAS buried deep under the engine or up on top where it's easy to get to?... I don't see what I expect to see when I look under the hood.

Chuck
Boulder City, NV

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
im assuming you mean MAF? mass air flow sensors are a common problem. sometimes they can be cleaned up. However they are a common problem for slk's. They are easy to replace yourself, however the part is expensive and you HAVE to buy an OEM one from Mercedes. The aftermarket ones are junk, and don't trust ebay.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MAF sensor

Yes, you are absolutely right... MAF NOT MAS... where is this thing? It's usually right there in the air intake flow pipe, but I don't see it on her car.

Thanks for the advice on the avoiding EBay...

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
The first post will help you find the location of your MAF. On my 1999 it was in the lower position, not sure where it is on the 2000 models but the link has a picture for both possible locations:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1419440-mass-air-flow-sensor.html

You can use this video as a guide for the removal part:

Mercedes Benz SLK 230 MAF Removal and cleaning - YouTube

In the future, I suggest you use CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner instead of electrical contact cleaner. Also if cleaning, remove the sensor (insert) from the housing.

Once you get the sensor+housing removed (about 2:20 in the video), it is going to one of two things. Either you will be able to purchase the sensor plus housing or you will be able to purchase just the insert. I used to get my MAFs from autohausaz. They used to sell just the insert for around $100. Looks like they have the entire sensor plus housing for sale now:

Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s) Mass Sensor

I would bet you have the Bosch unit in yours but double check before ordering. So it is just a case of replacement if you go this route.

If you find just the insert for sale, do the following:

You need to remove the actual sensor (the insert) from the housing. You will need a set of torx security bits. You can pick them up at any parts store or even Harbor Freight. The HF ones will not last long but there are lots of bits in the kit. They come in useful sometimes. So undo the 2 torx security bit screws holding the insert in. Remove it and replace with a good insert. Put everything back together.

Be sure to check your air filter while you are at it.

DO NOT GET AN EBAY MAF!!!!

Anyway, good luck. This is a 10 to 20 minute job. I am assuming your Check Engine Light is on. If you have access to an OBD II scanner, you can have the codes cleared with that. Alternatively, just can disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the light. Just be sure you have radio code if you do that. If neither is acceptable. The light should go off after a little bit.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your answer Michael... You were spot on and the YouTube video was right on too... I was looking on the wrong side of the block.

I've always used CRC's MAF cleaner and I do have an OBD II scanner although I'm going to have to replace her battery too.

Appreciate you help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts