Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, have removed for REPAIR/DIAGNOSIS the CD CHANGER in 2000 S500 W220 chassis Production date 02/00 111509 ending VIN.

D-VERSION COMMAND SYSTEM
NO MBZ OEM PHONE INSTALLED

Problem I am having: With the CD CHANGER removed THERE IS NO SOUND FROM ANY audio component, TAPE, RADIO, COMMAND.

Is there some way to put a jumper over the optical and/or electrical connector from the body wiring harness so that the RADIO/COMMAND SYSTEM WILL WORK PROPERLY W/O THE cd CHANGER INSTALLED.

I have seen a few other links to installation of the cd changer and from the factory there appears to be some sort of dust cover over the OPTICAL CONNECTOR does this perhaps just SPLICE the ENDS of the connectior so that there will be a continuous OPTICAL LOOP INTACT thus allowing the RADIO/COMMAND to function normally w/o a CD CHANGER INSTALLED?

Is there anything else that can be done to just trick the COMMAND/RADIO into thinking that the CD CHANGER is STILL installed so that it will work till i complete repairs, or replacment of the CD CHANGER?

It is not that great to have NO AUDIO ENTERTAINMENT?

Why did they use all this OPTICAL in the first place it seems very troublesome than coppe wire!
:surrender:

The original problem with the Compact Disk Changer was in "NO SOUND" post:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1394049-2000-w220-no-sound-nav-cd.html

·
Registered
451 Posts
So you don't "splice" the optics, you need a coupler. I can't find the post, but if you dig around in the W203 forum, there's at least one post with the part number.

EDIT ->

000-545-33-84 d2b passive coupler

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Why did they use all this OPTICAL in the first place it seems very troublesome than coppe wire!
Ideally even the D2B ring actual configuration should be coded if you intend to leave it without the CDC.

You don't explain why did you remove the CDC, probably an issue with it, in which case you should not "blame" the fibre ring. Anyway, if this fibre ring was not used, it would need to be replaced with multiple copper wires. Not only that, there would need to be multiple wires to multiple places in the car to cope with multiple equipment configurations. Alternatively the basic car wiring harness should be built in multiple variants, making it difficult to retrofit anything as it would be practically impossible to replace the main harness. Interference from copper wire to audio copper wires would be difficult to avoid, fibre even reduces weight etc. etc. I hope your "wish" about copper instead of fibre will not come true. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks DieselBens and UK-C200 for your informative reply I guess fibre is better than copper--had not thought fibre optic in such detail.

The D2B passive coupler part # 000-545-33-84 had a price of $4.50 from the local dealer who was out of stock but apparently can get one in a day So probably good to have for those times when an audio component needs to be "bpyassed" when removed from the car for service so that you still have sound generated by the other RADIO/TAPE/CD/COMMAND systems.

How does one go about "CODING" the command/radio/tape/CD system to inform that there may no longer be a CD CHANGER attached to it. Is there some programming sequence of controls on the COMMAND CONSOLE that will put you into CODING mode? Or is this ONLY a JOB for the MBZ Scan TOOL at the Dealer ?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks DieselBens and UK-C200 for your informative reply I guess fibre is better than copper--had not thought fibre optic in such detail.

The D2B passive coupler part # 000-545-33-84 had a price of $4.50 from the local dealer who was out of stock but apparently can get one in a day So probably good to have for those times when an audio component needs to be "bpyassed" when removed from the car for service so that you still have sound generated by the other RADIO/TAPE/CD/COMMAND systems.

How does one go about "CODING" the command/radio/tape/CD system to inform that there may no longer be a CD CHANGER attached to it. Is there some programming sequence of controls on the COMMAND CONSOLE that will put you into CODING mode? Or is this ONLY a JOB for the MBZ Scan TOOL at the Dealer ?
I don't think you need to Uncode anything.. ( At least with MOST you don't ). All you need to do is complete the network signal using a small coupler that simply connects the two orange wires that you removed from the changer together. This will complete your D2b network and everything should work. You will get a CDC error if you press your CDC button because its not there but that's all.

Here is a small simplified text diagram to show what you basically had before removing the changer, what you did by removing the changer, and what you need to do since you removed the changer..

BEFORE;

AGW-------->Comand------> Changer------>Amplifier------>AGW

WITH THE CHANGER REMOVED ( NETWORK INTERRUPTED THEREFORE NO SOUND );

AGW-------->Comand-------< >------->Amplifier------->AGW

WITH COUPLER INSTALLED;

AGW-------->Comand--------->==Coupler===>Amplifier------->AGW

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Like above, you don't have to code the fibre loop to a new set-up, it should work after the coupler was inserted. But for fault diagnosis and fault logging purposes it would be better to have it coded, perhaps at the next service when they anyway hood Star to the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks BenzWorld Extremist and DieselBenz....wow the coupler is not what i was expecting.....it is just a small piece of plastic that apparently lets you insert two ends of the optical cabling together really it is completely simple. I was hoping for something that would just connect with the male end of the connecter as removed from the CD CHANGER and just make a U turn so to speak......(i.e. not having to remove the orange cable from the connector would be great)

With the coupler provided it looks like I will need to remove the orange cable from the rectangular connector that connects both lines to the CD CHANGER and put both ends in the PASSIVE COUPLER...would be nice to have.

The part is so small and the parts manager was really helpful and actually comped me the PASSIVE COupler for no charge..

I can hardly wait till tomorrow morning to try it out...

The CD changer is working much better and I think a cleaning and reapplying fresh litihim grease to the mechanical parts lubed would be cool.

Here are two photos of part #: 000 545 33 84 (D2B Passive Coupler)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As it turns out the passive D2B coupler was not needed to by pass the CD CHANGER (PART # A 002 820 7989) in this installation. Fortunately the original installation optical cable to the CD had quick disconnect connectors where you just gently lift up the metal retainer clip and then pull out the optical cable.

Photos are as follows:

Upper Left: Original installation of the CD CHANGER optical cable loop to the AMP. Note the end Optical connector (CD REMOVED) toward the bottom left in photo.

Lower Left: CD CHANGER Optical Cable. Connects to other LEADS as labeled: (CD CHANGER SIDE RED CABLE) CD C IN to (AMP SIDE) SOUND CD OUT
and
(CD CHANGER SIDE CLEAR CABLE) CD C OUT to RADIO IN.

Upper Right: Detail of D2B Optical connector with metal clip raised in order to insert or remove an optical cable end.

Bottom Right: Bypassing/removing the CD CHANGER Optical Cable then continuing the D2B OPTICAL LOOP by connecting: (AMP SIDE) SOUND CD OUT to RADIO IN. This continues the D2B optical loop with the CD REMOVED. The RADIO/TAPE/NAV now have sound while your CD CHANGER is OUT FOR REPAIR or PERMANENTLY REMOVED if you decide to opt for an IPOD or similar FM converter so your RECORDED MUSIC SOURCE could be your external IPOD/MP3 Player and forget the already outdated CD formats not to mention the potential problems with a troublesome mechanial CD CHANGER as opposed to a SOLID STATE MP3 player.

This effectively removes the open in the loop when the CD CHANGER is removed so you still get sound from your other audio components.

P.S. if somebody can inform me on how to insert the photos into the text box directly so it is easier to comment on each one that would be great,

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are correct that you did not need the coupler you depicted. Actually, it would not have worked anyway. It is for a MOST system and you have D2B. You WILL need to reconfigure the optical ring order in your head unit however. It will work but you may experience wierd glitches in the future. It is for more than diagnostics. The only way is with a Star Diagnosis machine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The part number A000 545 33 84 is correct for the D2B coupler, but the one shown in the picture next to the dime in post #7 is for MOST. The closeup picture showing the connector with the open metal retaining tab and an optical cable secured on the other side in post #8 is A000 545 33 84 and for D2B.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The part number A000 545 33 84 is correct for the D2B coupler, but the one shown in the picture next to the dime in post #7 is for MOST. The closeup picture showing the connector with the open metal retaining tab and an optical cable secured on the other side in post #8 is A000 545 33 84 and for D2B.
Thanks, that was a useful clarification.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You WILL need to reconfigure the optical ring order in your head unit however. It will work but you may experience wierd glitches in the future. It is for more than diagnostics. The only way is with a Star Diagnosis machine.
You do not have to reconfigure the ring in order delete the changer. It has to be configured if it is added only. In this case it will show an error on Diuagnostics only but who cares the system will still work. This is done for this exact reason, so your entire system won't be down if you need to remove an aux component for a time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is correct bypass connections for a 2002 s430. Although I am not getting any red light in the optical anywhere (I suppose you are like TOSLINK home audio???) Anyway if anyone has a pin out for the harnesses at amp/changer location. One more... What the hell is the AMP connector that resembles a parrellel port, it was unplugged, and dealership mechanic couldnt tell me what it was. Thanks..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all
I just bought a 2000 model S500 and it came without a CD Changer. I was able to get one and I'm trying to get it installed BUT have a problem here and will appreciate all the help you guys can give;

I found the power connector (the 3 pin) BUT the fiber-optic cable I found there was disconnected. Just like what you have in picture 3 above.

Can anyone help me on how to connect the loose ends so it can work with the car's system. I noticed the same connector to the Amp; that one works though - I removed it and tried it on the CD changer and the system recognized the CD changer and was playing tracks BUT no sound.

So basically, I would like to have the one meant for the CD changer connected.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
W220 S500 2001 UK Spec. No sound from command. Fibre optic bypass

Wow thanks everyone one here for the wealth of knowledge you all have. Sad or what???
We petrol heads do love our cars.
I had no sound comming from my command. No CD Changer showing.
Read a lot of threads and came along the fibre optic bypass.

Bought one from the Mercedes main stealer £2.30 +vat worked first time.

For all you out there with the same problem the part number is

A 000 545 33 84

5 minute easy fix job.

Just as an after thought if you dig your car out of the snow dont through the snow encrusted shovel into the boot. You may fill your CD Changer with snow.
They don't seem to work very well after being filled with snow....

Ian R. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
callmephyfe
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing