Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.I read somewhere that these cars should be started every few days to keep the batter alive. Is this true?

2. We have access to another company car for over a month and plan to stop using the S5 for a month - is there any "park mode" that will not make the above occur?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks So Much!! Does anyone else have any take on this? Being a NEWB i don't want to mess up any electronics - > how and what plugs should i remove? Does anyone have any pics?

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
494 Posts
Wrong approach for me

Lets do a calculation.
Standby power consumption max 0,05A.
Battery capacity fully loaded 100 Ah.
This is 2000hrs->83 days (theoretical) standby time before the Battery is empty.

Disconnecting/reconnecting is not really fun to the diverse control units.
You would also need to reinitailize several components.
I would go this way only in case of a long absence.

Btw MB is selling a Battery switch:

A000 545 82 08 Switch
A220 545 00 31 Cable

Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank it's because of people like you and Skylaw not to mention all those who have helped that make these forums worth visiting and keeping up with - THANKS for the superb information as always.

Quick question what is the function of the Battery switch you mentioned besides the obvious. Sorry maybe a real newb question.

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
494 Posts
Hi TC.

Its a huge switch (think like a fist) between Battery and taillight which disconnects ground (-) from Battery.

This is your long term "park mode" without twiddling with tools at the battery

Cheers, Frank

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,069 Posts
tcflya - 3/10/2005 12:20 AM

Frank it's because of people like you and Skylaw not to mention all those who have helped that make these forums worth visiting and keeping up with - THANKS for the superb information as always.
Thank you for the compliment, tcflya. And thank you too, Frank, because you have also been helpful to me - as have a large number of folks who contribute their knowledge and experience to this and other forums. In the two telematics forums I often visit, this would include screen names like paulhdick, awiner, miroj, scorchie, sunman, SledDog, MBenzNL, BigSis, Lynn, Wolfgang, MIK - a partial list only. The knowledge that these folks have is phenomenal, and their willingness to share is amazing.

I don't mean to short anyone who contribute their knowledge and the folks who share what they learned even over just one problem are terrific - because you are having the same problem, and your local dealer hadn't solved it.

There are significant contributors in each of the forum areas that I haven't mentioned, and it only takes a brief scroll through the posts to see who they are.

On the eBay site, mkbaip and coyotesaftau have also been helpful and shared their knowledge when I was buying parts.

All of you make Mercedes ownership a far richer experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth, I left my 2000 S500 parked for slightly over a month without disconnecting the battery, and it started up just fine.

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: 2000 > S500 Shutdown Questions?

I thought I'd let y'all know I started my S500 31days after non-use and it started up like a charm -all systems were a go EXCEPT the A/C

The Display shows as normal - no air is flowing through the vents either at hot or cold and/or Auto or Manual.

Any ADVICE??

·
Registered
5 Posts
RE: UPDATE: 2000 > S500 Shutdown Questions?

Tcflya have you had the recall on the blower motor wiring harness taken care of? Recall went out a while ago, apparetly a bad wiring harness gets to hot and melts causing the blower motor to stop working.

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stealership says it was done in a previous service by the previous owner. I'm taking it in tomorrow.. fingers crossed... LOL

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE : 2000 > S500 Shutdown Questions?

Turns out the the blower and the motor went bad - was replaced under warranty - Works like a Charm!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts