Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2000 S500 that when I turn the key the car starts fine but then revs to approximately 4000RPM where it seems to pulsate (I have read that that is a safety feature to prevent over revving). I have replaced the MAF sensor on the advice of others but the engine still races. Do I need to reset something? If I attempt to drive the car, it just continues to accelerate until I turn the car off. (NOT A GOOD IDEA) Simply put, it's as if someone is flooring the accelerator. The check engine light was on, but no longer. I obviously can't drive the car to have it checked. Any Ideas?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It could be a faulty accelerator or throttle valve, better to have the fault codes read out first of all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope maybe someone will look at this again. I bought an OBD II sensor today and hooked it up to the car. I got two codes P0110 and P0100. The MIL DTC code P0110 showed "Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit." The Stored code P0100 showed "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit." Can either of these codes be the cause of the engine racing?

·
52,804 Posts
Disconnect the Air Mass Meter and start the engine, see if it stalls or revs. You may need to restart the engine a couple of times if it stalls.

·
52,804 Posts
The next thing to do is disconnect the accelerator and start the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Than you Eric. I will. Is the Mass Air Meter the same as the MAF? I just replaced it. Of course it's possible I got a bad one. If it is the MAF, can I just pull the plug and stat it?

·
52,804 Posts
Than you Eric. I will. Is the Mass Air Meter the same as the MAF? I just replaced it. Of course it's possible I got a bad one. If it is the MAF, can I just pull the plug and stat it?
Yes it is the MAF and yes just pull the plug, it will set a fault code but you can clear this after with the OBD II test equipment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You again Eric. I pulled the plug on the MAF, and I couldn't even get it to start. I Plugged it back in and removed the gas pedal assembly. And it purrs like a kitten. It appeared the "Kick Down Switch" was sticking, so I worked that a little but when I plugged the assembly back in the engine roared back to the limiter. It looks like the gas pedal assembly is bad. Any suggestions on where to get one? I called my Local Dealer (50 miles away) and they quoted $185 plus tax. Ebay ranged from $75 (used) to well over $200. I don't think I'm interested in a used one. Any one have a good source? On-line or otherwise?

·
52,804 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts