Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to change my own oil in my S500 as opposed to going to the dealer. Where do you drain the old oil? Where is the filter located, and is it difficult to change? What viscosity and type (conventional or synthetic) should I use?

THANX

·
Registered
S-500 2003. BMW 750Li 2006
141 Posts
I got one out of 4 answers for u. 25% hit rate ! ;)

Def, go with the synthetic Mobil 1. Its in the manual and its supposed to be the best out there. You have a nice expensive car, give her the best. There is another issue, your in dash service reading wont be reset.

Sarv

·
Registered
W124/230E, W202 C240 stationwagon, W210 E280 facelift
366 Posts
that's easy from the Instrument cluster scroll the menu using the up or down arrow, assuming the multi-function is already in the mileage display.

From this point the wrench display will appear. Push the reset button in the Instrument cluster, that will be the "R" button and wait till another message appears in the multi-function display. To confirm the reset all you have to do is push the "R" button again and the new oil service is set.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,965 Posts
A 5w30 has a temp range of -30 to 30 degrees C where as the 5w-40 has a range of -30 to 50 degrees C. So if you are likely to see ambient temperatures above 30 then I would say use the 5w-40 just to be sure you have it covered. Most important thing other then the grade is the quality always use a good synthetic.

MB recommends Mobil 1 which comes in 0w-40, 5w-40 and 0w-30. I use Fuchs TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE SAE 0W-40 for mine and Mann filters.

Dean

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,965 Posts
Hey Wally check again, there is a lot of oil choices on the BEVO for the M113 in the W220 you can use the oils listed on the 229.1, 229.3 and the 229.5 Sheets. It is best to use the 229.5 with fleece filter though.

Dean

·
Registered
2002 S 430
247 Posts
Meanwhile we forgot to answer the other original questions.
The filter is in its own housing at the top level under the hood, somewhat to the driver side at the front. Undo the top cap, the filter comes out together with it.
There are four rubber ring seals, all different sizes, put the new ones at the places where old ones come off the center stick.
The filter house is a convenient place to fill the fresh oil in.
To drain the oil you must get under the car. Remove the black plastic shield that covers the engine from below, must remove four small sheet metal screws.
Once the shield is off, you cannot miss the drain plug. Use a new copper washer when you put the plug back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.