Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 E430
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about buying a S430 2000, my 98 e430 just got totalled. Anything to look out for or anything in general snyone want s to say would be appreciated.

Hd

·
Registered
2 Posts
slk,
you recommend going w/ an '01 as opposed to an '00. Do you have experience with the...

slk,
you recommend going w/ an '01 as opposed to an '00. Do you have experience with the S brands? I'm asking this b/c I am also looking into purchasing an S500 but am concerned w/ reliability issues. I hear the most about the suspensions. as the model years go on, are these issues being resolved or are they just carrying over?

·
Registered
SLK 320
33 Posts
A little experience .. we've had 7 MBs ....

1979 300SD
1984 300SD
1985 380SL
1991 350SDL
2000 S430
2001 SLK320
2003 E320 (non NAV retrofit)
2003 E320 (replacement with NAV)

We never see the need for the extra power of the larger engines (except the SLK, my personal car, cause I did not want a 4-cylinder kompressor) Their high volume engines are always better (excluding AMG) thus the 430 and 320 over the 500 for both the S, SLK and E. My SLK has had no major technical problems, our S on the other hand had serious suspension issues and we still question it, the first 2003 E-class had some issues - bad transmission and could fix navigation - but we are very very pleased with the replacement E-class. MB very rarely just rolls over problems - they incrementally improve their cars; thus I bought by SLK the year of its facelift - as I think that's when all the kinks are addressed. We had to get the the 2000 S because we stretched the 1984 Benz past 225K miles and couldn't wait. We got the 2003 E, rather than waiting, because the 1991 SDL died after 250K miles and the engine lost all its oil. Dealer demos are always good too. Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
SLK,
So how do u feel about the last body style S? (Big body as we call them out here) I...

SLK,
So how do u feel about the last body style S? (Big body as we call them out here) I believe those being the '99 and prior years. Would you say that a S at the '98 and '99 years, which was at the end of their run as more reliable than the '00 & up?

·
Registered
SLK 320
33 Posts
That's a tough one.....

The big body S-class (I always thought it was referred to as the "loaf of bread" or "watermelon")was the 1992 over engineered too pricy Benz, that the engineers were then instructed to "cheapen" as time went on so they could stop losing money. Thus, chrome became plastic, leather became mole hair, and they had issues with being so heavy they crushed their own suspensions and wore through tires like water. As you can see from my previous post, we avoided that body style all together. Technologically, you cannot compare the '99 with the '00 - and once our '00 was repaired it has been very enjoyable - we still like it over the '03 E, cause once you go S, you can never go back. Plus, you gain nearly 10 design years buying an '00 versus the '99. That's how we felt with our '91 300SDL - it was outdated the next year; but we loved the style so much (espically compared to the watermelon) and knew the diesels were being phased out of the long wheelbase - so we went for it.

So, if you want a final answer from me .. if you find one in good condition, get a 2000 S430 and if you buy it as a starmark vehicle; be very very particular on little items and have them replaced before you take delivery and make sure they process the service bulletins for the A/C and suspension.

Hope this helps ... Good luck and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2000 S430
3 Posts
I just bought one last week and love the car...for what it is. Only dissapointment is that the Nav system is soooo outdated. I have tried several newer CDs to get better accuracy, but my nav system will not accept them. My car was produced in 7/99....a very early 2000 car. Any info successful attempts to upgrade the system would be appreciated.
thx, MB (my real initials)

·
Registered
SLK 320
33 Posts
To this day, we have been very happy with the NAV system..

To this day, we have been very happy with the NAV system, agreed the DVD Nav system on the E-Class is a bit faster but the 2000 is just as accurate - at least where we go. There was a CD update we were given after the initial delivery (about 6 months later). You have to make sure you tried a CD and not a DVD as the 2003 systems are different. BUt MB should still have the older CD format around, if not - try eBay.

·
Registered
04'E55; 02' 911Turbo
75 Posts
If you go with the older model, you'll get MB's most refined and tuned car. With the ma...

If you go with the older model, you'll get MB's most refined and tuned car. With the massive overhaul they did, it's not uncommon for there to be some bugs they have to sort out. That might be a reason to find an 01' over a 00'. Still a good car though, depending on who you talk to..

·
Registered
S430
7 Posts
NAV CD's

I bought my S430 this past January 2003 and the dealership I bought it from sold it as a Starmark Certified car with a CARFAX for the vehicle as well. According to CARFAX my 2000 model came into the country in March of 1999, which I find to be awfully early for a newer model year. In any event, the NAV system in mine kept giving me CD reading errors and based on your thread I checked the date on the CD's I got off of eBay and they're dated July 2001 and 2002. I took it to the dealer (not the one I bought it from but one closer to me) and they told me that I need a new command center $2,000.00 to replace, which I haven't, am I to understand that maybe the problem is I'm not trying older CD's? If that's true then I find that incredible!! I mean is Mercedes turning into Microsoft or what?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Heavyd said:
thinking about buying a S430 2000, my 98 e430 just got totalled. Anything to look out for or anything in general snyone want s to say would be appreciated.

Hd
Check out this web site before you buy. I have had three MB's and currently own 2. Not buying any more. A 100K S Class should be built better, I was towed in 2 days ago, it looked like a low-rider, the Airmatic suspension blew and almost got my wife killed.

Mercedes Benz Lemon Problem Vehicles

Mike

·
Registered
2003 S500 4-matic
69 Posts
I'v got a 2003 S500 4-matic no problems **KNOCK ON WOOD** i recomend everyone lookin to get a s class get a 2003 or newer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts