Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesturday there was heavy flooding in the New England area as I was driving home from work I had no other choice but to go through a large puddle of water. Half way through the puddle on the display the red battery visit workshop light came on. As I kept driving I noticed that my fuel tank was on empty but I had a full tank of gas. The next thing that happened was my instrument cluster turned off. I wasnt that far from home so I kept driving trying to make it home and then the navigation screen displayed a warning that said voltage too low and that the car will turn off in three minutes I kept driving because I was only down the street from my house and thats when my headlights turned off and my navigation screen turned off. I have comprehensive coverage on my insurance and the car is currently at the dealer the insurance hasnt looked at the car yet but they said they are going to attempt to repair it. Should I be worried. Im afraid that maybe they will repair something and the car will work fine but down the road other problems will occur that they didnt know about. Any opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yesturday there was heavy flooding in the New England area as I was driving home from work I had no other choice but to go through a large puddle of water. Half way through the puddle on the display the red battery visit workshop light came on. As I kept driving I noticed that my fuel tank was on empty but I had a full tank of gas. The next thing that happened was my instrument cluster turned off. I wasnt that far from home so I kept driving trying to make it home and then the navigation screen displayed a warning that said voltage too low and that the car will turn off in three minutes I kept driving because I was only down the street from my house and thats when my headlights turned off and my navigation screen turned off. I have comprehensive coverage on my insurance and the car is currently at the dealer the insurance hasnt looked at the car yet but they said they are going to attempt to repair it. Should I be worried. Im afraid that maybe they will repair something and the car will work fine but down the road other problems will occur that they didnt know about. Any opinions. Thanks.
How deep was the water? The Fiberoptic Controller Area Network (CAN) is woven throughout the car front to rear, pretty much top to bottom, so water level height would be critical to determine what exactly what was/may have been washed over.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Never EVER drive thought high water. You are lucky you didn't destroy more stuff. I'm sure many more problems will pop up in the future. Running a car without alternator power is a recipe for disaster in any car, let a alone a W220!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are so right my freind I had the alternator replaced that problem is all set but my airmatic pumo isnt working the car sank to the floor. I had the pump replaced about a month ago had the dealer come pick it up cause the repair is under warranty do you think the pump died because I ran the car when the alternator died.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
You are so right my freind I had the alternator replaced that problem is all set but my airmatic pumo isnt working the car sank to the floor. I had the pump replaced about a month ago had the dealer come pick it up cause the repair is under warranty do you think the pump died because I ran the car when the alternator died.
It could have. Your voltage was all over the place without the alternator running. The volatile power supply could have fried anything. You should have shut the car off the instant it began to show problems.

I'd get rid of the car now, while you are still ahead. Its going to be one thing after another breaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think that its more likely that the airmatic pump died because the alternator died or because the car going through the puddle could the water of damaged the pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, i have c220, 2003 avantgarde, i went through a large puddle thinking it wont be deep, but got stuck, water was very deep, i got it recovered by AA, after drying engine was working but with too much cranky noices, also all the malfunctions have come on dashboard, can any one tell me, if i can get it repaired cheapely or its computer is gone, or is it time to get my insurance company involved.

plz suggest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts