Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2000 Ml430 2003 CLK 500
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have photos or step by step instructions for replacing a crankshaft position sensor for a 2000 ML430?

There are multiple videos and such for an Ml320, which looks to be a really easy job.

The reason I'm asking here is that I keep seeing inconsistent information about doing this job for the ml430, some people say it's necessary to take off the wheel and liner and others say you can still get it from the top like the ml320 but you need to use a wobble socket.

Has anyone done this job through both methods and figured which is best?

W163 and General M Gremlin
Does anyone have photos or step by step instructions for replacing a crankshaft position sensor for a 2000 ML430?

There are multiple videos and such for an Ml320, which looks to be a really easy job.

The reason I'm asking here is that I keep seeing inconsistent information about doing this job for the ml430, some people say it's necessary to take off the wheel and liner and others say you can still get it from the top like the ml320 but you need to use a wobble socket.

Has anyone done this job through both methods and figured which is best?
Thru the DS wheelwell is easiest, imo.

Watch this one (for the ML500)

Another:

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
I've done it from the top on both ML engine variants, and honestly, I think doing it from the top is easier than removing the wheel.

Because well, you now have to jack up the truck and remove a wheel.

You'll be working blind and entirely by feel, but once you take out the bolt (I want to say E8 inverse torx?) then all you need to do is wiggle it out.

Lay an old cardboard or blanket on the engine so you don't poke yourself on the stomach while you lie on the engine.

Registered
2000 Ml430 2003 CLK 500
Discussion Starter #4
I want to make sure I understand, if you go from the top, where are you standing? I'm made a bit unclear by the suggestion of putting a cover.

Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
I want to make sure I understand, if you go from the top, where are you standing? I'm made a bit unclear by the suggestion of putting a cover.
Lay an old cardboard or blanket on the engine so you don't poke yourself on the stomach while you lie on the engine.
Reading comprehension problem?

Reactions: yakky

Deplore means for you to lay a flat section of cardboard/blanket over top of that engine bay area for comfort when you bending over, reaching into the DS engine bay to access the CPS. :)

I would, but I found it harder on my back vs. the wheel well method.

Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
Deplore's way is to lie down on top of the engine on your tummy. That's the way I do it too.

Registered
2000 Ml430 2003 CLK 500
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I ask because I picture myself standing and leaning over from the driver's side wheel, that's why I couldn't really picture it.

Registered
2000 Ml430 2003 CLK 500
Discussion Starter #9
Just my opinion, but unless you have a very good 'mental map' of that area of the car, I don't think it makes sense to go from the top. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not even possible to see the sensor from the top and that just felt a little too risky for me. It's one thing if I could see it without my hand in the way but have to rely on feel after I begin to work towards it, but totally blind is above my paygrade.

With that said, going through the wheel wasn't that bad. After you take off the wheel, it's just six 10mm plastic bolts for the flexible wheel liner, three 10mm metal bolts for the heatshield and you have some ok access to the sensor.

Just my opinion, but unless you have a very good 'mental map' of that area of the car, I don't think it makes sense to go from the top. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not even possible to see the sensor from the top and that just felt a little too risky for me. It's one thing if I could see it without my hand in the way but have to rely on feel after I begin to work towards it, but totally blind is above my paygrade.

With that said, going through the wheel wasn't that bad. After you take off the wheel, it's just six 10mm plastic bolts for the flexible wheel liner, three 10mm metal bolts for the heatshield and you have some ok access to the sensor.
Georgeous,
Whatever floats your boat and keeps you comfortable.
Ive done them both ways, it's a personal choice.
And do keep us posted on your progress and your afterthoughts using this wheel well approach. :)

Registered
2000 Ml430 2003 CLK 500
Discussion Starter #11
Well, so far so good, before I replaced the CPS, the car was turning off and couldn't start up again before it cooled off a bit. In other words, once the car was warmed up to around 75-80 celsius, it was basically unusable.

Weirdly though, it never threw a check engine light or any codes. No P0335.

But from reading about the symptoms, I was 90% sure it was the CPS, and because it's only a 30 dollar part and a fairly easy fix, it was worth the risk and I was right!

To anyone else reading, this is a common problem on these cars, this is the second time the CPS has been replaced on this car since my family owned it, the last time it was replaced about 80,000 miles ago.

Keep us posted, if this issue rears it's head again.
I'm presuming you've scanned for any saved codes (and erased) ?

Registered
2000 Ml430 2003 CLK 500
Discussion Starter #13
I did scan for codes but there was nothing present, which IS weird, in my opinion.

But nope, driven the car at least 60 miles in a mix of surface streets, highway, and hilly terrain and no problem.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
I did scan for codes but there was nothing present, which IS weird, in my opinion.

But nope, driven the car at least 60 miles in a mix of surface streets, highway, and hilly terrain and no problem.
2000 ML430 has ME 2.0 engine management. Only way to get code P0335 it to catch it with its pants down. If engine starts successfully after cool down period code gets erased. Starting 09/2000 ME 2.8 stores fault until erased.

Registered
2000 Ml430 2003 CLK 500
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, that's quite an interesting insight, I never would have even thought that was happening inside the black box. Well, no matter, you know, 30 dollar part and 2 hours of labor, so even though I wasn't certain what was wrong, even if it was something else, it's not that much of a risk, especially since these sensors aren't built to last.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts