Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Make sure the harmonic balancer has been upgraded. The original part can break apart and cause 3 or 4k worth of damage.

The window switch module wears out and can be replaced for about $70.

Torsion bars can squeak....get em lubed.

The eBox fan will start squealing before it fails....easy fix.

At 100k miles you should be due for a transmission and differentail fluid change that can run several hundred dollars.

New spark plugs can cost $400 installed...there are DIY instructions here.

Check the Low Range to make sure it engages/disengages if you care.

That's all I can think of.

I have been really happy with my 99. This forum has been invaluable. Saved me the harmonic balancer disaster. Etc, etc.

As far as value of the vehicle? I don't know.

I will eventually replace my 99 with another ML W163 that I will transmogrify for off-road use. 163s should have me covered til at least 2010.

·
Registered
99 ML430
18 Posts
My ML was built in the Austrian factory and is considered a 2000 here in Europe. In the last year I have replaced these items due to failure or necessary maintenance:

Brake Switch

Window switches

Mass Airflow Sensor (it took 3 months for them to figure out what was wornd when this went as it didn't show on thier diagnostics)

Crank Position Sensor (it took 3 weeks for them to figure out this problem due to it only showing when the car was cold. They were able to find the problem when the part completely failed.)

Spark Plugs

Air Filter

Oil Filter

Brake pads front and rear and sensors

Clips inside the door, rear hatch, and holding on the illuminated door sill covers

I also had one of the hose clamps for the powersteering work free (lucky for me it happened as I pulled it into my mechanics bay and not on the road.)

I also had to have replaced/fixed several other items but most of them I consider the fault of the previous owner:

Rear Hatch Light cover
Glove box door
The black part of the sideview mirrors.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,160 Posts
I'd also add to the list to make sure it's had the fuel filter and line upgrade performed. If not, you're looking at about $700 the first time you need to replace the filter (they no longer make the older, smaller one).

- RODNEY

·
Registered
00 ML430,02 c230k co
151 Posts
Well if this didn't boost you wanting to buy a ML.I would personally find a dealer and purchase one.You can prob find one with a lot less miles and a warranty,the 2k more you'd spend at a dealer would cover that,and you would have someone it back you up.....or complain too.just look at the list already...It scares me,and I own a 00 ml430 and a 02 c230 kompressor both with a 110k warranty ml=45k c230=40k miles thats comforting and when its in for service you get a loaner.....moral..you get more sence of security with a dealer...good luck!!![;)]

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Soldaten - 3/30/2005 7:18 AM

My ML was built in the Austrian factory and is considered a 2000 here in Europe. In the last year I have replaced these items due to failure or necessary maintenance:

Brake Switch

Window switches

Mass Airflow Sensor (it took 3 months for them to figure out what was wornd when this went as it didn't show on thier diagnostics)

Crank Position Sensor (it took 3 weeks for them to figure out this problem due to it only showing when the car was cold. They were able to find the problem when the part completely failed.)

Spark Plugs

Air Filter

Oil Filter

Clips inside the door, rear hatch, and holding on the illuminated door sill covers

I also had one of the hose clamps for the powersteering work free (lucky for me it happened as I pulled it into my mechanics bay and not on the road.)

I also had to have replaced/fixed several other items but most of them I consider the fault of the previous owner:

Rear Hatch Light cover
Glove box door
What? Are they flying guys in from Alabama to work in the factory to insure "quality"?

[:I][?]

·
Registered
99 ML430
18 Posts
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 3/31/2005 2:36 AM

Soldaten - 3/30/2005 7:18 AM

Brake Switch

Window switches

Spark Plugs

Air Filter

Oil Filter

Rear Hatch Light cover
Glove box door
What? Are they flying guys in from Alabama to work in the factory to insure "quality"?

[:I][?]
It's funny you say that, We get the guys from the Alabama factory in the Irish pub here all the time because MB brings them over.

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
How does the ML compare to the other MB models in Germany?[8)] Are you guys as cursed as we are with the ML's problems. By the sound of your repairs, it seems to be that way[:(]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts