Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello anyone? Someone???!!!
I have a 2000 ML320 98K miles we have had it for about 6 months now and out of no where the tranny stopped shifting past first the speedo goes down to zero and there are many lights poping on and staying on while it's happening. The CEL came on the first time and is still on we have not gotten it scanned with the scanner for tranny codes but, we are planning that very soon.
If I shut the car off then restart it the lights will go out and the speedo works. Then will do it all over again however, if I creep along it will shift or if I shift manually but will do the same thing quickly. If I do shift manually when the problem happens it will not shift out of whatever gear it's in unless of-course I shut it off and restart again.
I have read lots of things here and elsewhere and have found some really good info. The speed sensor was the obvious first choice changed it no change then I saw someone on here saying to someone else with the same problem that it could be the battery or alternator had those changed as-well still not any better. Please if anyone has any ideas we could really use the help, any savings on the coming storm of parts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, for reading.
Elek98

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,600 Posts
You should have read the manufacturer specific codes before changing the conductor plate, battery and alternator. You should obtain all the codes and post them here.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
I agree with Merzat, that the codes must be read, but in the meantime, on the right side of the trans find the 13 pin connector. Separate the two halves and see if there is trans. fluid inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
43 Is it usual to have a metal cover over the 13 pin plug. Been looking for mine but can only see some wires going behind a metal cover. Any ideas, is that usual?.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for replying I do agree I should have come here with the codes first. I really wish I knew about this before but, it is what it is. I am waiting for the codes to get sent to me that they do have. I am pretty good with working on cars and trucks I was a Machanic in the Army so most things I do myself however, when it comes to the computer stuff I'm not to knowledgeable nor do I have that kind or equipment. I brought the truck back to the dealer because I know them and do their Electrical work so they are helping me out as soon as they get me the codes I will post them. I have already sent them a message to stop work on the truck, to only check the connection for fluid or moisture of anykind then get back to me with the codes they do have.
Thank you
Elek98

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Thank you both for replying I do agree I should have come here with the codes first. I really wish I knew about this before but, it is what it is. I am waiting for the codes to get sent to me that they do have. I am pretty good with working on cars and trucks I was a Machanic in the Army so most things I do myself however, when it comes to the computer stuff I'm not to knowledgeable nor do I have that kind or equipment. I brought the truck back to the dealer because I know them and do their Electrical work so they are helping me out as soon as they get me the codes I will post them. I have already sent them a message to stop work on the truck, to only check the connection for fluid or moisture of anykind then get back to me with the codes they do have.
Thank you
Elek98
I now you are new here, but didn't you think that telling us that your truck was being worked on by the dealer was an important piece of info. When the dealer has your truck we cannot help you at all.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay sorry did not know that. Altough it's not the dealer it's a friend of mine who has a garage. He is helping me because I do not have the time to do it myself. I am despritly trying to find out whats going on with this truck if it takes me parking it in my driveway to get help I will. I am sorry I was not aware of this rule.
Rules are rules. Thank you for telling me I am glad that I found this site and plan on utilizing the wealth of information the people here are willing to share.
Elek98

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I believe he meant an MB dealer. A friend with a shop lending
a hand is a different scenario.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Okay sorry did not know that. Altough it's not the dealer it's a friend of mine who has a garage. He is helping me because I do not have the time to do it myself. I am desperately trying to find out whats going on with this truck if it takes me parking it in my driveway to get help I will. I am sorry I was not aware of this rule.
Rules are rules. Thank you for telling me I am glad that I found this site and plan on utilizing the wealth of information the people here are willing to share.
Elek98
There's no rule about this but Squid is absolutely right to admonish you. Here's some of what you posted in post #5:
...I brought the truck back to the dealer because I know them and do their Electrical work so they are helping me out as soon as they get me the codes I will post them. I have already sent them a message to stop work on the truck, to only check the connection for fluid or moisture of any kind then get back to me with the codes they do have.
Obviously it's not at the dealer according to you. So what's the deal here? Do you want to have this thing resolved or are you just messing with us? Do you actually do any electrical work for the "dealer" as you claim? And I really hope you are not using that army thing to be cute! We really want to help you but if you can't come clean with whatever issues you have then I really can't see how we can help you.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do understand the misunderstanding about "the Dealer" my truck in not at "The MB Dealer". I am not going to have an arguement and deffenitly not about who I am or what I have done I will clear this up by saying the following. I do not belive there was or is anything cute about my time in the US Army as a 63B Light wheeled vehicle machanic.
My truck is at a friends garage where I have done Electrical work more than a few times witch is the field I have been in since I was twelve with the ecception of my time in the Army. Hopefully this will be satisfactory and inable someone to help me with my problem. Hopefully the next replies are full of information that will help my situation not prolong it further. I do apolagize for the missunderstanding however I belive I have explained this in my last response to all the questions posed to me about this. This site is not only new to me I have never used any site like this for anything. I will be sure to read through all of the rules next time to ensure avoiding things like this in the future.
Thank you.
Elek98

·
Registered
2000 ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also I looked back at the post earlier where I said "the Dealer" I belive I said that because the garage the truck is at is like I said a friend of mine and also where I got the truck and where I get all my cars. So I guess thats why I naturally put the dealer. If know one will help me I will move on. Hopefully there isn't really to much ego here to not help someone because of a mistake with words and a misunderstanding of them.
Thank you.
Elek98

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Also I looked back at the post earlier where I said "the Dealer" I belive I said that because the garage the truck is at is like I said a friend of mine and also where I got the truck and where I get all my cars. So I guess thats why I naturally put the dealer. If know one will help me I will move on. Hopefully there isn't really to much ego here to not help someone because of a mistake with words and a misunderstanding of them.Thank you.
Elek98
Hello Elek,

Nobody is holding anything against you.:)

You are receiving help from the experts who have asked you to do certain things.

I recall you have been asked to:

• Obtain the OBDII/transmission codes and post here
  • Check that your 13-pin connector is not covered in oil (search the forum for information on this)
Do this and more help will be forthcoming.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay in the works thank you for responding. I will return with that info ASAP.
Elek98

1 - 15 of 15 Posts