Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i am new to the website and Mercedes so any help will be greatly appreciated. Yesterday i stopped by the local laser car was and water started pouring in by the bottom of my doors underneath the dash area. It was very odd considering i had just went to same carwash and had no problems. Anyways i try and dry some of it up and go about my day. 2 miles down the road my trans just slipped out of no were. I start to panic and try to bust a U-turn to go back home and it would not shift into reverse to finish my U-turn, so i cut car off and try to crank back up and nothing happens but start error messge. Out of no were after 30 mins of trying car cranks and gets me to my house in 1st gear. I wake up the following morning and it cranks no problem and it still will not shift out of park so i use the emergency shifter and i drive around the block car shifts threw all gears fine but no reverse light. All other lights work fine. Any help would be greatly apprecited!

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
It sounds like the water from the car wash may have damaged the reverse light circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could that have anything to do with the not shifting into drive from park problem? Everything else seems to be back to normal except those 2 things. BTW thnx for the reply noodles!

·
Purple Moderator
22,117 Posts
The electrics that control the transmission including the shifter hate moisture of any kind.
I am sure the two issues have are related.

I am not sure what the best step to take is. Fixing water damage is tricky. It may not
be permanent and has to completely dry out and then have the codes cleared.

There is a chance the reverse light switch will have to be replaced. From the sound of
it may still be damp and needs more time to dry, but that is really a guess.

At this point I would have the codes read with a scan tool that can read MB trans codes
and then you may know exactly what the long term affects are and what it will take
to fix it.

I have seen a very large cup of coffee ruin a shifter mechanism because the shifter is
really a big electric control switch for the trans.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your help guys im still kinda stuck the truck runs good besides the stuck in gear prob. I just use the emergency shift thing to put in drive. Today it rained pretty bad and i noticed it has leaked some water under the dash again but the passenger fuse box and emergency brake. Anybody know were that water could be coming from? Its definetly not the sunroof bc it just had a slight leak from sunroof in the carwash :confused:

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
thanks for your help guys im still kinda stuck the truck runs good besides the stuck in gear prob. I just use the emergency shift thing to put in drive. Today it rained pretty bad and i noticed it has leaked some water under the dash again but the passenger fuse box and emergency brake. Anybody know were that water could be coming from? Its definetly not the sunroof bc it just had a slight leak from sunroof in the carwash :confused:
If you meant by the passenger fuse box then most likely, as 43sqd stated, it's the sun roof drains. The sunroof drains have fittings through the body work just behind the fuse panel and parking brake and if dislodged will drain water into the vehicle. Other sunroof drain issues can exist but you should start here. I highly recommend following 43sqd's trouble shooting suggestions before coming back for additional help.
Mike

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
I doubt that it's the sunroof drains. If the seal is OK, not much water can get into there.

It could be coming from the area below your windshield. There's a pathway for air to get into the passenger cabin from there. Sometimes the drainage tubes get clogged with leaves, twigs & dirt. Excessive water in heavy rain or a carwash could then get into the cabin via the same pathway. Check the cabin air filter - if it's wet, you know the cause.

·
Registered
02 Mercedes Ml 320
14 Posts
Dude, this happened to me on my 02 ml320 a few years ago, all u have to do is stick a bic pen through a small squarish door at the bottom of the shifter and shift the car while u are holding it in. sounds crazy i know but it works

·
Purple Moderator
22,117 Posts
Dude, this happened to me on my 02 ml320 a few years ago, all u have to do is stick a bic pen through a small squarish door at the bottom of the shifter and shift the car while u are holding it in. sounds crazy i know but it works
He knows that, but the shifter and reverse light are still broken. He has to do it
every time he drives it and it still does not fix the reverse light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts