Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a 2000 ML320 which has a rubbing noise in the back left tire assembly. i think the problem is with the rear axle or possibally the brake caliper / brake system. Has anybody had this problem or does anybody have any tips or suggestions about the problem. Any information would be great.

· Registered
Dallas, Texas
13,383 Posts
I am running a 2000 ML320 which has a rubbing noise in the back left tire assembly. i think the problem is with the rear axle or possibally the brake caliper / brake system. Has anybody had this problem or does anybody have any tips or suggestions about the problem. Any information would be great.
You need to get more creative describing sound it makes. Conditions as well.

Forward/backward. Turning left/right. Accelerating, costing, decelerating, braking.

Jet taking off, landing. Train passing by. Formula1 car going by. Blender on high. Fingernails on chalkboard.

Lift left rear with jack and rotate wheel. Plant your friend at the curb and drive by. Ask them to describe sound and direction.

· Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
phonenix, as Witek said above, you have to give more info about the type of noise you are hearing.

Rear caliper may be sticking. After driving a short while, does any one of the wheels lot hotter than the other 3 wheels? If so, the caliper in that wheel must be sticking. Or, check the thickness of the rear brake pads. Is one side pad worn more than the other side?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well after more examination of the wheel assembly it turns out that the wheel bearing has gone bad and worn out... creating the noise. I know the process of replacing the part and such, but was wondering if other people out there had any advice for the removal of the bad bearing or the instillation of the new one?

· Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
phoenix8592, how many miles on your 2000 ML?
Sorry, I can't help you with the process of removal and installation of a wheel bearing; I've never had to replace on my '98ML320 with 160K miles.

Witek or 43sqd may be able to give you the procedure/steps.

· Registered
Dallas, Texas
13,383 Posts
well after more examination of the wheel assembly it turns out that the wheel bearing has gone bad and worn out... creating the noise. I know the process of replacing the part and such, but was wondering if other people out there had any advice for the removal of the bad bearing or the instillation of the new one?
There are several special tools involved. Cost of which will far exceed price of having it done by the shop.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
witek, could you be more specific? because of all the repair jobs on the vehicle, all that i have done with my own tools and in my garage, the price of repair has been consistently less than if it were to be done by the shop. Could you explain what special tools are needed and what they are needed for?

· Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,942 Posts
witek, could you be more specific? because of all the repair jobs on the vehicle, all that i have done with my own tools and in my garage, the price of repair has been consistently less than if it were to be done by the shop. Could you explain what special tools are needed and what they are needed for?
What Witek was trying to say was that you need a very large and robust tool to remove the hub from the bearing/knuckle, as shown in the last page of the pdf. Buying the tool would be counterproductive, so the alternative is to remove the assembly yourself and then have a machine shop handle the R&I of the bearing.

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greetings Witek and 43sqd:

I have removed the brake caliper and parking break components. Is the next step to pull the rear axle shaft flange? I see many posting about removing the drive shaft -- how is the accomplished?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Witek M -- thanks for the additional information -- and quick response!

As I examine this further, I'm getting the sense i should let a shop tackle this. Per your earlier email, I hate to remove the wheel carrier and damange ball joints and I certainly to note need to add some of these specialty tools to my collection. Do you have any sense how much benz whill remove from my bank account to complete this work?

Thanks

· Registered
Dallas, Texas
13,383 Posts
Hi Witek M -- thanks for the additional information -- and quick response!

As I examine this further, I'm getting the sense i should let a shop tackle this. Per your earlier email, I hate to remove the wheel carrier and damange ball joints and I certainly to note need to add some of these specialty tools to my collection. Do you have any sense how much benz whill remove from my bank account to complete this work?

Thanks
Don't feel bad. 90% of success in any repair is to know when to quit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.