Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently replaced the condenser and drier in my Ml
I am installing a new Denso 471-1293 which the tech at Denso says comes with 3.8 oz of oil
He wanted me to remove and replace with just 2 oz.
I'm wondering what I need to put into the system.
I already installed the condenser and drier.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wondering how many ounces of oil in the ac system to add.
the condenser is new, the drier is new

·
Premium Member
Current (2002 ml320, 2002 ml500, 2005 ml500 sport 2006 bmw 525xi)
33 Posts
Not enough. 6 or 8 oz of Oil,(PAG 46) and 26.5 or 27 oz of R-134.

Here's the reference I used

There are varying options on this even when servicing a A/C with a hose replacement. I err on the side of adding oil to the system. I find the leak (dye), fix the leak (new hose or o-rings), install a new accumulator/dryer even if the compressor is good. When it leaks, it also leaks oil. I get my hoses made in town at a local AC/ Hydraulic hose outfit. I bring them the old hose, they cut off and braze the ends to new hose and fittings. Usually about $60-$80 depending upon the hose- and it fits everytime. Usually one day service.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,019 Posts
wondering how many ounces of oil in the ac system to add.
the condenser is new, the drier is new
205 cc or 6.943 oz. 175 cc for compressor, 20 cc for condenser, 10 cc for drier. Make sure to turn compressor by hand after charging and before first start.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
205 cc or 6.943 oz. 175 cc for compressor, 20 cc for condenser, 10 cc for drier. Make sure to turn compressor by hand after charging and before first start.
Ok that's great. The compressor is filled with 3.8 oz from Denso, i'll just add in the balance into the low pressure port?

I was also wondering the best way to install the compressor. From underneath, It seems I need to remove the fan and shroud to have enough access.
thanks for the comments guys

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,019 Posts
Ok that's great. The compressor is filled with 3.8 oz from Denso, i'll just add in the balance into the low pressure port?

I was also wondering the best way to install the compressor. From underneath, It seems I need to remove the fan and shroud to have enough access.
thanks for the comments guys
Add oil into inlet port. Some newer Denso compressors have plastic check valve at inlet port. Depress it and add oil.

Remove left front wheel and fender liner to get to compressor. While you at it check left motor mount. With compressor out replacing it is a breeze.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,019 Posts
Here is post with more details.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is post with more details.
Thanks for the information, I'll remove tire and liner
Also may need to remove some parts of the front brush bar

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well got everything back together and sealed with new o rings. How long can I keep the system empty with a new drier?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,019 Posts
well got everything back together and sealed with new o rings. How long can I keep the system empty with a new drier?
As long as it is sealed time is no issue. Are you taking it to the shop for evacuation and recharge?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also with the liner off I have good access to the abs motor to change the brushes

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just so I understand- as long as the system is completely closed with the new drier in place I don't have to worry about the desiccant in the drier?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,019 Posts
I course system is now full of air and moisture that entered system while is was open.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hoses were sealed while work was being done
your earlier post seems to suggest it should be fine?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts