Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes CLK430
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you have experienced this problem. My 2000 Mercedes CLK430 front driver seat does not fold forward. I checked it out and found that the plastic bushing that snaps into the top metal bracket pull lever is broken. And the existing cable and bushing is now sitting outside out of the hole of the bracket. I purchased a new cable assembly, however, I can't figure out how to get the new plastic rubber like bushing through the hole in the metal bracket. It appears to me that the bushing must enter from the bottom of the hole in the bracket, then once through the hole, it must then be pushed down into the hole and snap in place. That would mean that I would have to crush the new bushing to get it through the hole in the bracket from the bottom of the bracket. Am I looking at this correctly or does anyone have the secret for this install. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
Welcome to BW forums.

You have posted to the wrong forum here, as there is a W208 CLK forum especially for problems on your car and where all the other W208 owners will hang out. I will ask the mods to move this post over to that one.

Now will you please go to UserCP ^^^ and complete your profile including model/year/location, as this often helps with look-ups.

Regarding you question above, I don't know the answer. I have attached the WIS procedure to this task so that you can go through all the steps, and maybe you have done something incorrectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes CLK430
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It took me a while to find this section. I checked out the link that you provided. It does not tell you how to get the new bushing and cable into the hole in the lever bracket. I tried to post a picture here of the new bushing and cable, however, for whatever reason it does not post. Perhaps you can fill me in on that. Thank you, Tommy.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
I tried to post a picture here of the new bushing and cable, however, for whatever reason it does not post. Perhaps you can fill me in on that. Thank you, Tommy.
1. Go to Mercedes-Benz Forum > BenzWord Support Forums > BenzWorld Help.

2. Go to Sticky: How to post pictures?

Make sure that the filesize is not too large. Max file sizes are stated when you go to Manage Attachments, under Additional Options.

3. Do a Preview Post before posting to make sure that everything worked.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes CLK430
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you be able to support me if I gave you my email address. That way I can send you pictures which will explain my problem more clearly. Thank you for the sticky info.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
I would prefer that we keep this one on the forum. That way other members can learn from your situation.

So let's get you up to speed with attaching photos. This is how I do it, using a camera. I'm not sure about a smartphone.

1. Take the photo. Transfer it to your computer and save it to a known folder.
2. Click Post Reply on your thread, and add some text to the new page.
3. Scroll down to Additional Options and click Manage Attachments.
4. A splash screen is displayed. Click the top Browse.
5. Now navigate to your computer folders and locate the file for your photo.
6. Highlight that, and click Open. The photo file should now appear in the browse box.
7. Repeat for up to 5 browse boxes, as required. Observe the max size for jpeg, etc, - otherwise BW will reject the hosting.
8. Now Maximize the splash screen. Click the upper Upload button and wait for the attachment to appear in the bottom box. Then click Close this window.
9. The attachment is now on the forum thread, and will appear when you click Preview Post. You can now add additional text if required before Submit Reply.

This method ensures that your attachment will stay in the forum. Our archives aere full of 'spaces' where the original host has withdrawn their service.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes CLK430
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not been able to figure out how to slip the cable and bushing into the upper tilt lever bracket. In the first picture that I got from the forum, you can see where the plastic bushing is torn and broken up. The second picture is of the new cable and bushing that I want to install. The bushing is the one with the red arrow pointing to it. The person who posted the first picture originally must have resolved his problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Tommy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
I'm just guessing....but have you tried softening the plastic with a hairdryer, and then use some lubricant. :confused:

Let's hope someone here has already managed this task.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes CLK430
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I have not tried using a hair dryer to soften the bushing. That might work. The bushing appears to be more like a hard rubber than it is made of plastic. Not sure? It would be nice to hear from someone who already replaced this cable assembly. I will let you know how things turn out if I decide to use the hair dryer. Thank you, Tommy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone where i can get this release cable and if possible the part number for it i am having the same issue but cant seems to find the part number and the replacemnet instruction. Thnaks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts