Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes benz c230k
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this beautiful 200 c230k last week. The car is in great shape other than the headliner sagging and the fact that the speakers dont work. It had the stock stereo when i bought the car, but i purchased a cheap boss stereo to replace it. I also bought the wiring harness specific for this vehicle. I connected it all together and the radio powers on but there is no sound what so ever. I thought maybe the speakers were done for. So i checked the door speakers and they were shredded with no material around the cone. I replaced the door speakers and still no sound. Ive checked the fuses and ive also looked for the factory amp, but i dont think this car has a factory amp. Im at a loss. Ive connected several stereos systems in the past in several different cars but man this one really has me confused. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
2006 clk 350
62 Posts
What year is the car? Does it have a fiber optic system? Is there any orange wiring behind the head unit that emits a red light? If so you do have fiber optic wiring and you won’t be able to use the new radio. Fiber optics work on a ring. If the ring is incomplete nothing will work. It mus be a fiber optic compatible radio. Pull the panels on each side of the trunk. If you have a w203 model it should be the right side of the trunk interior. Pull the carpet back and the amp should be right under there behind the tire.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes benz c230k
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is the car? Does it have a fiber optic system? Is there any orange wiring behind the head unit that emits a red light? If so you do have fiber optic wiring and you won’t be able to use the new radio. Fiber optics work on a ring. If the ring is incomplete nothing will work. It mus be a fiber optic compatible radio. Pull the panels on each side of the trunk. If you have a w203 model it should be the right side of the trunk interior. Pull the carpet back and the amp should be right under there behind the tire.
Its a 2000 mercedez benz c230k. And yes there is a fiber optic cable. And i looked in the trunk but found no amp. I will look again in the morning. Any idea on where i csn find a fiber optic compatible stereo unit? This car is amazing but i would love it more if i could listen to music. Would i be able to rewire the speakers directly to the head unit?

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,693 Posts
Its a 2000 mercedez benz c230k. And yes there is a fiber optic cable. And i looked in the trunk but found no amp. I will look again in the morning. Any idea on where i csn find a fiber optic compatible stereo unit? This car is amazing but i would love it more if i could listen to music. Would i be able to rewire the speakers directly to the head unit?
===>>> Update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

You seem to have an MB proprietary FO system similar to w163 FO systems.
Our 99 c230K does not have FO - I did not know 2000 w202s have this option (possibly).
Changing the radio and not using the oem orange FO system will not work with ANY HU on the market.
Your speaker wiring is tied into a possible oem amp located possibly under the DS dash just above the steering column (only guessing at this moment as w163s with FO have their amps located here)
Anyhow, you will need to bypass the oem amp (if it's there). There should be a harness (left side of the amp - driver's side) that you can unplug and then comes the fun. Tracing the speaker wires off that harness (hopefully, a member may be able to provide you a wiring diagram for this to speed things up) and wiring straight to your new HU unit.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes benz c230k
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
===>>> Update your user CP info....

click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

You seem to have an MB proprietary FO system similar to w163 FO systems.
Our 99 c230K does not have FO - I did not know 2000 w202s have this option (possibly).
Changing the radio and not using the oem orange FO system will not work with ANY HU on the market.
Your speaker wiring is tied into a possible oem amp located possibly under the DS dash just above the steering column (only guessing at this moment as w163s with FO have their amps located here)

I believe it is a fiber optic cable. It is 2 wires one labeled amp+ connecting to a plastic plug in a 90 degree angle. Ill pictures tomorrow. The end of the plug looks like 2 tiny light bulbs sticking out slightly. Again my apologies for a poor description.
Anyhow, you will need to bypass the oem amp (if it's there). There should be a harness (left side of the amp - driver's side) that you can unplug and then comes the fun. Tracing the speaker wires off that harness (hopefully, a member may be able to provide you a wiring diagram for this to speed things up) and wiring straight to your new HU unit.

·
3,693 Posts
Easiest option to locate the FO amp is follow the orange back as far as you can (possibly behind the lower dash, driver side) - just a hunch.

·
Registered
2006 clk 350
62 Posts
In order to add an aftermarket radio you would have to remove all stock components and completely rewire the entire cars audio system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hijack can someone delete all my threads my cars in a better place now (car heaven)

·
3,693 Posts
In order to add an aftermarket radio you would have to remove all stock components and completely rewire the entire cars audio system.
For an MB OEM FO system, in general, or on this model with FO?

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes benz c230k
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For an MB OEM FO system, in general, or on this model with FO?
So i have to rewire all radio components? There is no after market stereo with fiber optics connections? Sorry im asking so many questions. This is the 3rd benz ive owned and the first one im attempting to swap out the stereo on.

·
Registered
2006 clk 350
62 Posts
For this car in particular you would need the wiring harness from mercedes to alpine let’s say you bought an alpine radio) or mercedes to whatever harness of the new brand radio you purchased. If you have the CD Changer (CDC) in the trunk that would also have to be switched out to the non fiber optic CDC and then it would have to be retire from the head unit to the CDC in the trunk.

·
3,693 Posts
So i have to rewire all radio components? There is no after market stereo with fiber optics connections? Sorry im asking so many questions. This is the 3rd benz ive owned and the first one im attempting to swap out the stereo on.
No mention of a CD option in your ride.
I dont believe you have to (rewire the speakers)
But it may be so, if you cannot find the FO amp location. Start looking (as I suggested). :)

Read here - no re-wiring of speakers required on an oem Bose FO system (others have done this also)

If you find your oem FO amp, you are good to go with this, similar bypass - no speaker re-wiring.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes benz c230k
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But it may be so, if you cannot find the FO amp location. Start looking (as I suggested). :)

Read here - no re-wiring of speakers required on an oem Bose FO system (others have done this also)

If you find your oem FO amp, you are good to go with this, similar bypass - no speaker re-wiring.

I dont see a cd player. It has a cassette tape player in the stock deck. I was looking into a fiber optic bypass cable that closes the circuit. Do you think that would work?

·
3,693 Posts
I dont see a cd player. It has a cassette tape player in the stock deck. I was looking into a fiber optic bypass cable that closes the circuit. Do you think that would work?
Post #4 - MB FO systems are proprietary.
I hope you can prove me wrong on your system.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes benz c230k
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Post #4 - MB FO systems are proprietary.
I hope you can prove me wrong on your system.

Ill work on it tomorrow. Try and locate the factory amp. The FO circuit closer i ordered will be in on tuesday. Figured 11 bucks on amazon it wouldnt hurt to at least give it a try. I do appreciate all the input. This experience has been a bit frustrating.

·
3,693 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes benz c230k
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i received the fiber optic loop in today and its the incorrect connection. Im about ready to toss up the white flag and take it to a professional.

·
3,693 Posts
So i received the fiber optic loop in today and its the incorrect connection. Im about ready to toss up the white flag and take it to a professional.
Have you attempted to look under the dash for the FO Amp?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts