Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz : G-Class Mercedes-Benz : G-Class | eBay

Saw this listing on ebay and had me confused....I thought G55 came out in 2003 and the grand edition was in 2005? Looked to be just a regular europa G500 but maybe some of you G gurus can shed some light on this particular 2000 G55? With the way the listing refers to new G55 pricing I think the seller is saying that this is a real G55 but I dont see any engine pics?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Mercedes-Benz : G-Class Mercedes-Benz : G-Class | eBay

Saw this listing on ebay and had me confused....I thought G55 came out in 2003 and the grand edition was in 2005? Looked to be just a regular europa G500 but maybe some of you G gurus can shed some light on this particular 2000 G55? With the way the listing refers to new G55 pricing I think the seller is saying that this is a real G55 but I dont see any engine pics?
Negative on the "Grand Edition" (the badge was an aftermarket purchase and stuck on) and doubtful on the "G55" (Vehicle Data Card shows the standard 113.962 G500 engine). It certainly has been all over the US: CA->SC->IL->MN->CA; and the title has some aberrations.

My personal opinion is that it's a standard Europa Int'l G500; and I would not buy it with that history at that price.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If i had a G55 I would at least make pictures showing that it's a G55 like pictures of the engine, G55 badge(s),.... The seller is not showing this. I think it's a G500. Ask him for pictures of the engine. if it's a g500 engine you can report it at ebay for fraude.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
There is nothing about this vehicle that says it is actually G55. Notably it has the standard G500 exhaust.

And, who takes the pictures *before* doing body work?!?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The steering wheel looks to be either a 99 or a very early 2000? Did early G55 came with wider fenders? Did europa import any G55's before MBUSA did?

·
Registered
112 Posts
i going with a g500 if it was a real g55 from that year it wouldnt have side marker lights (BUT u could then argue for import they were added later) from what i seen plus the wheels arent right plus he added a grand edition badge and the steering wheel isnt wood grain (i know most g55's before 2003 had this if i am correct?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Requested pics of the engine bay from seller but never got them.....did reply but skirted around the question of whether it was a G55 or not, made reference to the vin change as done by mercedes (instead of europa), was promised pics of engine but never got them

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Requested pics of the engine bay from seller but never got them.....did reply but skirted around the question of whether it was a G55 or not, made reference to the vin change as done by mercedes (instead of europa), was promised pics of engine but never got them
In other words, he's blowing smoke.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
i going with a g500 if it was a real g55 from that year it wouldnt have side marker lights (BUT u could then argue for import they were added later) from what i seen plus the wheels arent right plus he added a grand edition badge and the steering wheel isnt wood grain (i know most g55's before 2003 had this if i am correct?)
The side marker lights were added by Europa Int'l at the same time that they converted the VIN to a US-DOT protocol showing themselves as a small manufacturer (WDBEG prefix, as opposed to WDB). This was what they did with all the G500's they imported and sold in the US.

Also, if you look closely, the steering wheel is most certainly wood grained; although it does not have the steering wheel button controls that were introduced in mid-1999.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Negative on the "Grand Edition" (the badge was an aftermarket purchase and stuck on) and doubtful on the "G55" (Vehicle Data Card shows the standard 113.962 G500 engine). It certainly has been all over the US: CA->SC->IL->MN->CA; and the title has some aberrations.

My personal opinion is that it's a standard Europa Int'l G500; and I would not buy it with that history at that price.
There is already a buyer that has no idea what he is buying and I suppose he is not on this forum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is already a buyer that has no idea what he is buying and I suppose he is not on this forum.
still even if at that price not that bad we all cant get a steal of a deal hell they are over 100,000 new

but yea the guy one day will start 2 look around lol maybe he will see what we said lol

but yea its a g500 :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts